McKay To Be Offered New Contract amid £6m German interest

Warbs to deal in Baz Rangers boss Mark Warburton to offer winger Barrie McKay a new deal at Ibrox

The Light Blues star is on the radar of three Premier League and two European clubs

RANGERS boss Mark Warburton hopes to fend off increasing interest in Barrie McKay by offering him a new deal at Ibrox.The winger is on the radar of three Premier League and two European clubs.

McKay, 22, has only 18 months remaining on his current deal and revealed on Wednesday that talks to extend it have yet to begin.Gers gaffer Warbs is keen to keep his star man and has tipped him for the top.Warbs said: “Barrie is a very talented player and he is a Rangers player. I’m delighted with his progress over the last 18 months.“He is technically gifted, physically strong and quick. He sees a pass. He has got such a bright future for the Scottish national team.“He showed against Celtic and also against RB Leipzig last Sunday that he can be outstanding against top teams.

“So it is quite natural that he is one of many who’ll be looked at. The dialogue goes on.“My job is to say what I think about the players, to support the players and tell the truth.

“From our point of view, he is an outstanding young talent. I very much hope he has a bright future here at Rangers.“Barrie can go as far in the game as he wants. I think he can go to the highest level.”

The Ibrox boss added: “I read some ludicrous comments about having dealt with Hearts.“Where this has come from, I’ve no idea. Hearts don’t know about it and I don’t either.

“Michael wants to play, simple as that. I understand that.“Every player who isn’t getting sufficient pitch time will bang on the door.“Our job is to train them well every day and respect how they get to the first team.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/460817/rangers-boss-mark-warburton-to-offer-winger-barrie-mckay-a-new-deal-at-ibrox/

Bid needs to be confirmed, of course.

McKay really took his chance in that game with his pace and some tricks ... probably was well aware of Burke being snatched from Nottingham for serious cash too.

On the CON side, we all know what Barrie is capable of (even though he has only now returned to his own standards ... well, wingers and all that). Yet, on the PRO side we do have two or three players for that position (Dodoo, Forrester, O'Halloran ... possibly Nicholson and Toral). We would need the cash to bolster our coffers for any January and Summer raids, as more soft loans and more debts are not really desirable.

In any case, it would be useful if we put a certain sell-on clause on any future deal ... and stop terminating contracts to ease players - yound and old - out of Ibrox. Whether it is 50k or more doesn't matter.

Had a short look at the German media, who says ...

"... according to a transfer rumour in Britain .... the Daily Record says that ... McKay's performance will have been noted by coach Rangnick ... and there has been serious discussions at the weekend ..."

https://rblive.de/2017/01/20/barrie-mckay-rangers-rb-leipzig/

That is, the German media quotes the DR as a source for the rumour.