MARK WARBURTON insists Rangers will NOT break the bank in pursuit of Celtic

No Ibrox cash splash Ibrox gaffer Mark Warburton tells Walter Smith Rangers won’t be reckless

The Light Blues boss urged caution after ex-gaffer*told Gers to splash the cash in a bid to halt Celtic’s ten-in-a-row charge

MARK WARBURTON insists Rangers will NOT break the bank in pursuit of Celtic.

The Ibrox boss urged caution after Walter Smith told Gers to splash the cash in a bid to halt Celtic’s ten-in-a-row charge.

Warbs said: “In the current market you can’t afford to go and*buy your way out of trouble, spending money you haven’t got.“We’ve got to be very prudent in what we do going forward.”

Former boss Smith fears Gers will be left trailing if chairman Dave King doesn’t shell out to bridge the gap.

Warburton has warned against any repeat of the years of financial mismanagement that drove the club to the brink of the abyss — even if that means his own transfer dealings are limited.

He said: “Please don’t put this as me against Walter. Far from it. I’ve enormous respect for Walter and he’s a great help to me.“But my personal opinion is that, from where this club has been, it’s important it builds strong, solid financial foundations.“If that means there is a bit of frustration, I think that the vast majority of fans understand that.

From where the club has been, and where it needs to get back to, it needs to be done in a very prudent and astute manner.“People use the word reckless. I’m not being sarcastic, but that’s the term you could use. The club was in a very perilous position.“The chairman has come in with the board and steadied the ship and the club has moved forward.

“I just think that, after the experiences of the last four or five years, they’ve got to move forward on strong financial foundations and move at a pace that is appropriate for the club.“We can’t be impacted by events or performances away from us. We have to look at Rangers.“I’m not disagreeing with Walter. I have enormous respect for Walter.“Everyone has an opinion in football. That’s why everyone loves the game.

“But that’s my own personal opinion, that we have to be very prudent, very astute in what we do in the coming months.”While Celtic were unveiling £2.8million signing Kouassi Eboue from FC Krasnodar last week, Rangers were trying to thrash out short-term loan deals for Arsenal’s Jon Toral and Emerson Hyndman at Bournemouth.

The Hoops — who have won all three Old Firm derbies so far this season — are 19 points clear at the top of the Premiership and could have six in a row in the bag by the spring.

But Warbs believes the Rangers fans will continue to back the Ibrox regime and the players trying to bridge the gap.

He added: “I think the fans have the patience. I said at the AGM that the one commodity the young boys need is time.“And that’s the one commodity at a club like Rangers, with the expectation, that is not easily allotted.”

With Gers still sweating on scan results to striker Joe Garner’s injured left shoulder, Warburton revealed he is still in the transfer market for at least one more January signing.

Once again though, it will be a loan deal. He revealed: “If we can do it, we’d like one more. It has to be the right one.“It’s a very tough window and you can’t just go and get players for the sake of it.“We are looking at one or two. We are conscious of front and back and we’re wary of losing one or two.“We have options and targets and if we can get someone else in it will be a loan deal.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/431863/ibrox-gaffer-mark-warburton-tells-walter-smith-rangers-wont-be-reckless/

You'd hope we do have the odd contingency plan in case some last gasp attempt from England to poach one or two of our better players late in the window.

In essence, what we lacked throughout the first half of the season is not exactly the number of players, but people putting all the chances we created away. With Hyndman and Toral we may create even more, but we have to put them away more regularly. Wonder whether Dodoo will be able to make his mark now. Holt, Windass, and Forrester all have goals in them, as has McKay. IF they would collectively take up more responsibility and have a pop at goal more often. And someone should find Tav's scoring boots as well.

All that said, a lethal striker would still be fine too ...

We will need a striker capable of getting 20-25 league goals per season before we can challenge for the title.

We don't have one at present.

If it means getting someone on loan for the season so be it. How about Vincent Janssen from Spurs ? Cost £17m last summer from AZ67 but has managed just one league goal so far. His confidence has totally gone. Get him on loan for a season. He helps us & we help him. Win-win IMO