Record Back Page 10/01/2017

Is the gap bigger now than it was in 1992-94? Celtic were regularly finishing around 4th for a few seasons while we look set to finished second in our FIRST season back. It took Celtic 2-3 years until 95-96 to really challenge and that's about the gap I expect us to be going for it also, not the 4-5 years that has been mentioned.

Although Celtic finished 3rd and 4th in 92/93 and 93/94 the gaps at the end of the season were 13 points and 8 points respectively.

Edit - just remembered it was 2 points for a win back then. If we adjust for 3 points then the difference is 22 points and 15 points.

Edited by Bluedell

Is the gap bigger now than it was in 1992-94? Celtic were regularly finishing around 4th for a few seasons while we look set to finished second in our FIRST season back. It took Celtic 2-3 years until 95-96 to really challenge and that's about the gap I expect us to be going for it also, not the 4-5 years that has been mentioned.

Gap is probably biger between first and second. Not celtc and rangers

To me it don't matter how many points they were behind us back then I don't give a toss , what I want to hear is what our board are doing about bringing in investment some real money to bring this club back to the top of the two horse race why don't we see if there are some money laden chinks out there wishing to invest as they seem to have the thing we lack money .

... and on a sidenote, Celtic have been carving out results as well. Yes, they are the dominant force, but all things considered, they are having a fine season even by their standards and money. Bad for us, as it makes the reading of the table even more hurtful ... but essentially also a reflection of their means. Whether such seasons (or even this) will continue like that is, as always, anyone's guess.

It's got to be said that Celtic are having an amazing season domestically so far with 19 wins and a draw (plus the League Cup which makes it 23 wins and a draw with only one game against a non Premier team).

An important question is why? Are they just that good, is it due to the players or mostly down to cunning of the manager, are they having an amazing purple patch, is it just a fantastic run of luck, is the opposition a lot lower quality, or a combination of all of that? The answers to these is pretty important to us as it determines how good we have to be to win the league - and in gauging where we are at the moment.

From history it seems like club can transform itself in 1-3 seasons given the right investment and a manager that uses it to produce the best team. The only relevance I see to the 4-5 years is if it takes that long to get the required investment as it's clear we can't compete right now until we have comparable resources to Celtic.

It's got to be said that Celtic are having an amazing season domestically so far with 19 wins and a draw (plus the League Cup which makes it 23 wins and a draw with only one game against a non Premier team).

An important question is why? Are they just that good, is it due to the players or mostly down to cunning of the manager, are they having an amazing purple patch, is it just a fantastic run of luck, is the opposition a lot lower quality, or a combination of all of that? The answers to these is pretty important to us as it determines how good we have to be to win the league - and in gauging where we are at the moment.

I think the arrival of Brenda has a lot to do with it. The real test of how good a manager he is, will be next season - will he be able to maintain the standard set this year???

Think about MW's 1st season in charge - the team were flowing, playing nicely & winning comfortably (but not necessarily by many goals though). This season, there are many fans not happy with the way he's performing.

Hard to say exactly. They are riding the crest of a wave with Rodgers and the contrast with our low ebb is scaring folk. In that sense, I think walter is right in that we will need to invest in better quality. The question is when will all the other cards fall into place that will allow us to do so?

My hunch is that a significant proportion of this is contingent on the various court dramas. And because of that, its really hard to say how long the spectre of Ashley, Green, Whyte will linger. In the meantime it will be incremental improvements as elements of our financials improve - e.g. increased prize money, matchday revenues, sponsorship, transfer fees (hopeful, I know) rather than a step change to try and compete on equal terms in a short time-frame

I think the arrival of Brenda has a lot to do with it. The real test of how good a manager he is, will be next season - will he be able to maintain the standard set this year???

Think about MW's 1st season in charge - the team were flowing, playing nicely & winning comfortably (but not necessarily by many goals though). This season, there are many fans not happy with the way he's performing.

I think you can better judge Brenda against O'Neil the circumstances are more reminiscent of him.

Beating them in the SC last season was probably the worst thing to happen to us as I think we woke them up to their true problems.

Thy are good enough to beat nigh any Premiership team with their second string with a squad of 30 players collected over the years:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jumplist/startseite/verein/371

Nigh all of their second string would walk straight into Aberdeen's first eleven. So they do have enough quality to deputise for quality should they need it. It is still only current top notch SPFL stuff, but enough to keep all at bay. As I said, while dominating games like we did, they had the edge of scoring the odd goal more when it was required (not least away from home), something we failed badly during the first months of the season. So quality does come in, as does injuries, form of players, tactics and some refereeing howlers ...

Usually, this all evens itself out over the season. Yet, they, right now, have the quality to cope with anything Scotland can throw at them ... however high that quality's standard is in our eyes. That is IMHO their great advantage. How many players we are away from beating the rest in Scotland regularly and consistently is something we need to figure out in the coming months. Preferably sooner rather than later.

Edited by der Berliner