Alan Stubbs & Alan Smith Discussing Rangers & Celtic

Not sure if I'd use the word, "accurate" due to some quite green tinted thinking, even if it wasn't unreasonable. So maybe "reasonable" from a very Celtic perspective.

Does anyone really think the gap between us is definitively indicative and as impossible to bridge as he and the others were making out? I don't. I think quite a big bit of the gap is their manager have a good run and ours having a bad one (perhaps due to inexperience, but he's learning). Without any changes in investment, I think the gap will vary quite a bit and average out far closer than what it is at the moment.

I doubt it will be over 40 points come the end of the season. 30 maybe - next year, 20 if they are lucky but hopefully much closer or minus due to a bit more investment.

Edited by calscot

The gap is what it is simply because we had a relatively poor start. I'm confident that wont happen next season.

There is also the injuries or simply not performing from those we signed close season. Hopefully all that clears up and we can start to judge properly.

The gap is what it is simply because we had a relatively poor start. I'm confident that wont happen next season.

But your confidence is based on nothing tangible. They have beaten all before them and are miles ahead. In the two games against us they won 5-1 (flattering but still deserved victory) and 1-0 (flattered us and they deserved a heavier win).

Even if we hadn't had a slow start they have won every single game they have played in the league bar one and that was a draw. So it doesn't matter that much had we started quicker, we still would be behind them.

I'm not by any means saying we can't overtake them but confident ?? I would need to see how each squad lines up next season before buying into your confidence

Not sure if I'd use the word, "accurate" due to some quite green tinted thinking, even if it wasn't unreasonable. So maybe "reasonable" from a very Celtic perspective.

Does anyone really think the gap between us is definitively indicative and as impossible to bridge as he and the others were making out? I don't. I think quite a big bit of the gap is their manager have a good run and ours having a bad one (perhaps due to inexperience, but he's learning). Without any changes in investment, I think the gap will vary quite a bit and average out far closer than what it is at the moment.

I doubt it will be over 40 points come the end of the season. 30 maybe - next year, 20 if they are lucky but hopefully much closer or minus due to a bit more investment.

I've always maintained that we could catch them fairly quickly. That was also borne out given they had a terrible manager. However, the arrival of Rodgers, the CL money and the fact they spent over 3 million on Sinclair suggests that it won't be as easily achievable as I myself first thought.

With no further investment they will be streets ahead of us financially given our commercial situation, their commercial situation, CL monies etc etc

An expectation of the respective financial situations being fairly close is unlikely until we can resolve the commercial situation and get ourselves into CL contention...... or if our Custodians act as sugar daddy's for us.

Stubbs did come across quite well. But I don't think it will be 'minimum 4 to 5 years'. I think 2 to 3. If we can manage to get into Europa League to start with and get off field issues sorted with Ashley then it raises our income - that would be step one. In the league we need to start dominating the other 10 sides which is exactly what Celtic have done hence their lead so once we widen the gap between the others then Celtic cant do much about it bar in the 4 OF games and they will become deciding factors.

Everyone has to remember we were a new squad returning to the top flight just a few months ago, we look like we are beginning to find our feet and if we win today then we are 10 ahead of Hearts which is good going.

But your confidence is based on nothing tangible. They have beaten all before them and are miles ahead. In the two games against us they won 5-1 (flattering but still deserved victory) and 1-0 (flattered us and they deserved a heavier win).

Even if we hadn't had a slow start they have won every single game they have played in the league bar one and that was a draw. So it doesn't matter that much had we started quicker, we still would be behind them.

I'm not by any means saying we can't overtake them but confident ?? I would need to see how each squad lines up next season before buying into your confidence

Yeah but the confidence stems from thinking how very much smaller that gap would be if we hadn't stuttered so badly dropping 2 points at a time in multiple draws to teams which on paper we should have been comfortably easing past. The first day against Hamilton being a prime example. I don't see that happening again next season.

Yeah but the confidence stems from thinking how very much smaller that gap would be if we hadn't stuttered so badly dropping 2 points at a time in multiple draws to teams which on paper we should have been comfortably easing past. The first day against Hamilton being a prime example. I don't see that happening again next season.

Football isn't played on paper though JFK. And it doesn't matter a great deal about using "prime examples" - we have shown, this far, that we are WELL behind Celtic, just look at the two games against them. We are dropping points because we aren't good enough to win them.

Just take Hamilton as your example though... we drew at home with them and struggled to a win last week against them. Celtic on the other hand were up 1-0 with 10 men, had a man sent off and then ran out comfortable 3-0 winners. That shows they are a fair distance ahead of us. And we don't need to use Hamilton as an example either.... they have won all but one league game and, regardless of struggles in some games, that shows they have enough in their locker to win games they are struggling with... we simply haven't shown nearly the same consistency.

Were you not one of those who felt we would challenge them for the title this year and have had to alter expectations ???