Chapecoense given a fine for not turning up for game.

I just heard on a Dutch football programme that Chapecoense the Brazilian team who were killed in an airplane crash received a fine from the Brazilian Football Association for not turning up for the last game which they were travelling to when the plane crashed.

They said FIFA rules didn't give them any choice they had to fine both teams for not turning.

I thought the poppy saga was crazy but this takes the biscuit. FIFA is a joke if this could not have been dealt with as an individual case.

I can't find it on any English language sites yet but it is on the Dutch websites. They have to pay roughly + 23.000 pounds. A referee had already been appointed for the game but he had been advised the teams would not be appearing.

Ludicrous but obviously a rule with unintended consequences.

The obvious thing would be to issue the fine then set it aside indefinitely, or FIFA to appeal against themselves.

Reminds of a case I sat on in a financial services tribunal, when a sole trader firm were fined for not resigning in good order after the member had died.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Ludicrous but obviously a rule with unintended consequences.

The obvious thing would be to issue the fine then set it aside indefinitely, or FIFA to appeal against themselves.

Reminds of a case I sat on in a financial services tribunal, when I sole trader firm were fined for not resigning in good order after the member had died.

You agreed to uphold the decision didn't you:D