What do we do if Halliday gets injured

Regards the OP, if Halliday gets injured we're in big trouble. Holt too.

Signing Windass & Rossiter hasn't worked out so far. They're both crocks IMO

With all our summer signings except for Garner we are actually playing with all players that played in the championship.

Which suggests we had an overwhelming team in the championship. Aside from the overall performance and result against hearts I have to confess I felt a sense of glee when Garner broke somebody's nose. They're a dirty team.

Well, for debates sake, we should sure have some as these. We had our fair share of injuries this season, not least compared to the last. And those who are in the middle of any stramash, like Garner and Halliday, will sooner or later fall victim of the Scottish game. (Though you would expect that Premiership players handle themselves better than those in the Championship.)

So yes, Halliday's position is one that needs some cover and while we do have Rossiter as the ready-made deputy, his recent injuries and age (i.e. experience at this level) poses questions. Same goes for Crooks, who any time I've seen him looks a bit awkward. We would do well to give him any minute of u20 games available before we send him out, as right now, we need all ressources to win games and thus throw attackers into the fray, not easing folk back into the game.

Given Holt's industry and workrate, he might slot into that holding position too, likewise Tavernier. With regards to the latter, we look better balanced with Hodson in the back four, as he e.g. IMHO makes required covering runs better than Tav. I do think that we can sub Holt's attacking role better, Windass, Tav, O'Halloran, and Forrester are all available for that when fit.

Edited by der Berliner

I tend to disagree that Halliday needs cover more than Holt. Of the players you mentioned I think the only one the four that could handle it would be Windass but he's not nearly fit enough. For this 4-3-3 sytem of MW's to work we need box-to-box players putting in the commitment and effort to cover the ground necessary.

We can cover Halliday with Tavernier but I don't see anybody in the squad who can give us the ubiquitous cover that Holt does at the moment.

I have thought in the last few games he has given tremendous shifts that although they are not flashy are absolutely necessary for others to have the freedom to shine.

I just don't think that we have another player at the moment who can provide the engine that Holt has.

I tend to disagree that Halliday needs cover more than Holt. Of the players you mentioned I think the only one the four that could handle it would be Windass but he's not nearly fit enough. For this 4-3-3 sytem of MW's to work we need box-to-box players putting in the commitment and effort to cover the ground necessary.

We can cover Halliday with Tavernier but I don't see anybody in the squad who can give us the ubiquitous cover that Holt does at the moment.

I have thought in the last few games he has given tremendous shifts that although they are not flashy are absolutely necessary for others to have the freedom to shine.

I just don't think that we have another player at the moment who can provide the engine that Holt has.

I wrote in my preview that i was disappointed in Holt over the last period so we obviously see things different. Halliday breaks so many attacks up before the defenders are called in he is the one that i would hate to miss

Halliday has been hot and cold but is an important player in the team and we would struggle to replace him with a like-for-like player.

However, that's when Crooks and Rossiter would have to step up and Tav has also shown up well centrally. Kiernan also played defensive midfield now and again in the past so he may be a last resort should we really find trouble.