Neil McCann on MW Summer Signings

Hodson made sense. Freebie, fairly low wages, and we had ZERO full back cover and he provides cover in both positions.

Gilks - YES, you need a 2nd 1st teak GK. Relying on youngsters like Kelly in such an important position could literally break the kid's career. Aside from that, his wages wouldn't be prohibitive.

Dodoo - not sure why you brought him up BH - needs a run of games but seems to know where the goal is, as his goals on the weekend showed.

It isn't nonsense at all to suggest we need 4 CB's. IF we had been challenging for the title and one of the CB's got injured whilst another was out on suspension, you yourself would have been complaining at the lack of CB cover.

Every team should have 2 players for each position, if for nothing else other than competition. You can get around it with the likes of Hodson by having that versatility that can cover more than one position - but CB's tend to be just that, CB's.

Garner is probably the biggest disappointment to me - tries hard but we need a goalscorer, not a menace. Waghorn provided plenty of menace to opposition defences last season, we needed something different, and I don't see Garner being that much different to Waghorn. Dodoo would be my preference right now.

Garner is a disappointment probably more so because of how much we have spent on him.

I hate to say it but from what I have seen of Garner I don't see that much difference from Sebo. I hope he proves me wrong.

I hate to say it but from what I have seen of Garner I don't see that much difference from Sebo. I hope he proves me wrong.

Dodoo AND Garner up front would be a real threat, both can finish but Garner's industry would let Dodoo find space to finish.

I buy into the style of football the manager wants and is trying to instill in the club,the players he signs have to adjust their own game to suit that style and some will fail,however it is the players failure not the manager IMO,any professional football player should be able to adapt to this style as it is flowing football and if they can't then you would have to wonder why they can't!,the manager will sign players he believes can adapt but I can't see how a manager gets the blame for football players not being able to play a system that is total football?,I believe the majority of players he signs will adapt and also become better players for it.

Edited by ian1964

Hodson made sense. Freebie, fairly low wages, and we had ZERO full back cover and he provides cover in both positions.

Gilks - YES, you need a 2nd 1st teak GK. Relying on youngsters like Kelly in such an important position could literally break the kid's career. Aside from that, his wages wouldn't be prohibitive.

Dodoo - not sure why you brought him up BH - needs a run of games but seems to know where the goal is, as his goals on the weekend showed.

It isn't nonsense at all to suggest we need 4 CB's. IF we had been challenging for the title and one of the CB's got injured whilst another was out on suspension, you yourself would have been complaining at the lack of CB cover.

Every team should have 2 players for each position, if for nothing else other than competition. You can get around it with the likes of Hodson by having that versatility that can cover more than one position - but CB's tend to be just that, CB's.

Garner is probably the biggest disappointment to me - tries hard but we need a goalscorer, not a menace. Waghorn provided plenty of menace to opposition defences last season, we needed something different, and I don't see Garner being that much different to Waghorn. Dodoo would be my preference right now.

Garner is a disappointment probably more so because of how much we have spent on him.

I brought up Hodson, Gilks and Dodoo simply because they weren't mentioned by McCann.

I agree about Hodson vis a vis full back cover, fine if he's on low wages and content with the role. Most see him as a better defender than Tavernier but clearly MW views Tavs as a better all round player.

I disagree about the need for a second 1st team goalkeeper and 4th CB in our position; but will leave it at that.

Garner, like several of the others is a League 1 player. He scored goals at that level but struggled in the Championship. We were told that was because they played defensively; but we are an attacking team and he is missing too many chances for us.

I'd like to see Dodoo get a run beside Miller in a 4-4-2 but I know it isn't going to happen.