The Fifth (formerly Semi-Annual) Official Gersnet Dinner

Jardine hit the woodwork (bar?) twice within a couple of minutes during the game? Or is my memory fading.

My memory isn't up to it, I'm afraid, think I was just about to turn 16, so the following is not reliable. We hit the bar but I don't remember it being twice and I wouldn't have remembered Jardine until you said it. I remember a summer's day, for me an unbelievably small crowd for an OF game - far fewer than previously, an action packed game non-stop end to end due to the amended offside rule experiment. I remember that I was sure we deserved to win (I always was) and glaring late misses that should have won the game and then the penalty debacle. They missed, then Parlane missed with a shocker, Tam McLean consoled him as he was beside himself and then McLean - almost as though in sympathy - missed with an even weaker effort.

I remember everyone I was with and the scarves we wore.

Edited by SteveC

My memory isn't up to it, I'm afraid, think I was just about to turn 16, so the following is not reliable. We hit the bar but I don't remember it being twice and I wouldn't have remembered Jardine until you said it. I remember a summer's day, for me an unbelievably small crowd for an OF game - far fewer than previously, an action packed game non-stop end to end due to the amended offside rule experiment. I remember that I was sure we deserved to win (I always was) and glaring late misses that should have won the game and then the penalty debacle. They missed, then Parlane missed with a shocker, Tam McLean consoled him as he was beside himself and then McLean - almost as though in sympathy - missed with an even weaker effort.

I remember everyone I was with and the scarves we wore.

McLean's was one of the poorest penalty kicks I've ever seen. It was taken into the Toryglen end but even from 150 yards away I could see it being saved. If the keeper hadn't touched it I don't think it had the strength to cross the line.

You sure about him scoring 20 goals? What I remember was him not being much of a footballer at all. He did score against them at Ibrox, final score 1-2 I think. Also played and scored in 2-2 Drybrough Cup Final that they won on penalties.

TBH I'm not. Wikipedia has him scoring 9 in 35 league games; I took the 20 in 54 from a thread on another site.

I'm sure he would admit that wasn't the world's best football player but I think most would agree he did his best in a blue jersey and as has been said here scored twice against Celtic.

Edit: Adding up his three seasons according to Wikipedia:

1973-74; Games 34 Goals 13

1974-75 Games 17 Goals 6

1975-76 Games 3 Goals 1

So it does tally as 54 games and 20 goals; a pretty decent ratio of a goal better than every 3 games or 4 every 10/11 games; not too shabby for someone that was not very highly rated at the time or since.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Thanks for organising both the dinner and the guest, BH - it should be another excellent evening at an affordable price which what these nights are all about.

I'll certainly be there and although I'll be driving I'm looking forward to catching up with old friends and meeting new ones.

:)

Wiki only counts league goals.

Ok, I stick by my original position. That would mean he scored 11 or more in cup games, I very much doubt it.

I agree it sounds unlikely but I verified the total from the statistics for Rangers for the individual seasons. Don't forget that in those days we played 6 sectional league cup games so perhaps that's where he bagged a few.