Andy Murray: Return of Rangers to top flight will help Scottish football pick up

ANDY Murray predicted last night that Scottish football is set to pick up again now Rangers are back in the Ladbrokes Premiership. The world's best tennis player, who had a trial with the Ibrox side as a teenager before committing to tennis, opted out of watching Scotland's 3-0 defeat to England at Wembley. While he feels unqualified to offer an opinion on why so many young Scottish footballers struggle to become world class, he feels that the financial problems which afflicted Rangers didn't help and interest in the game north of the border will pick up now they are back in the top flight.

"I have no idea because I don't know what any of them have done when they are young," said the World No 1. "I don't know what sort of training and stuff they do. So it is difficult for me to say. But I think obviously the level of Scottish football has probably gone down a little bit when everything happened with Rangers, I don't think that helped, so hopefully in the next few years now that they are back in the main league that will help get a bit more interest in it again."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14913015.Andy_Murray__Return_of_Rangers_to_top_flight_will_help_Scottish_football_pick_up/