Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

If we use the Cetlic model then we have no chance of catching them. They can spend more money than us so are likely to acquire a higher standard of player. We need a different approach to them.

They don't spend that much money though do they ? I always find hat interesting especially if they want to succeed in Europe.

Perhaps there's something we don't know.

That's why I think they'll be catchable within a couple of years providing we get our signings better than we did last summer

As things stand despite stuttering performances largely down to dominating but simply not scoring all we want in this window is someone who can help with this lack of goals. Start imposing our dominance by putting the ball in the net more often and we will easily get that Euro spot which is an absolute necessity.

If we can secure that then add some more strength in the Summer to get us an actual Europa league proper run then from that point we will be leaving the sheep etc in our wake while in the act of doing so closing the gap between us and the main opponent. From that perspective January could be viewed as a crucial window.

As one who never, ever, believes paper speculation on players we are interested in, I make my next observation with a huge amount of salt.

Have we learned nothing from last summer when we are only looking at lower league English players who are over-rated and over-priced?

There is NO value to be had in the lower English leagues for a club with our needs.

Not one of our acquired players from England is going to be worth anything substantial, with many of them not even worth a place on our bench never mind a multi-million pound sell-on value, which is required to make up the shortfall in our income. We need to be buying players from abroad who are young but keen to move to England. Dare I say it the celtic model, just done a bit better.

Completely agree and I've said this since day 1. It makes absolutely zero sense to base our entire signing policy on a league setup full of overrated, overpriced players whose national team are a joke. The only reason we focus on England is because that's what Warburton knows. We've signed mediocrity for peanuts that nobody down there wanted and funnily enough....they're aren't up to much. What we need to be doing is getting back to the days where we can pick players up cheap and try punt them on for big money. Who in England is ever going to spend a fortune on these players when they've already spent years there and not shown anything? No matter how well Waghorn did here, who in England is ever going to spend big money on him after such a poor goal return at lots of different lower league sides?

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I'd say our best signings have come from the lower English leagues.

We shouldn't rule anything out.

As opposed to what? Ally's signings from the Scottish leagues? Not very hard to beat.

And you're right, we shouldn't rule anything out. As that's exactly what we have been doing and it's failing miserably.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I'm interested in the idea that we've somehow had poor value for money from the English leagues. We've spent absolutely fuck all in the grand scheme of things and our shortcomings in the transfer market largely stem from that. If we try to spend fuck all somewhere else, we'll still have the same issues. I'm all for looking far and wide as possible when recruiting players. But there's many giving the impression that there's a magical land somewhere, undiscovered by every single club in the world that has more money than us, where Warburton could pluck footballing geniuses from the trees for free if he only bothered to look. The problem is we have fuck all to spend and will continue to do so for a while. Recruiting from the Serbian second tier or Burkina Faso u18s league is, at best, going to have exactly the same risks and probably more so.

None of that's meant as an argument for limiting our search for players but just for a bit of realism.

a £50K signing for us, is like a £1-1.5m signing for many championship clubs.

English clubs will be sniffing around ANY player that is doing well up here. I reckon that if Waggy bagged a few more goals this season, we could sell him for £1m - with the right marketing etc.

Get him scoring a few goals, then "leak" that he's worth £3m. There may be some ridicule in the press etc about the valuation, but it gets the number out there....the English teams come snooping saying "We're not paying £3m", and put in a low-ball offer of £750k, we settle on £1m, and earn a tidy profit. that's how Ceptic appear to operate, and it generally works for them.

Completely agree and I've said this since day 1. It makes absolutely zero sense to base our entire signing policy on a league setup full of overrated, overpriced players whose national team are a joke. The only reason we focus on England is because that's what Warburton knows. We've signed mediocrity for peanuts that nobody down there wanted and funnily enough....they're aren't up to much. What we need to be doing is getting back to the days where we can pick players up cheap and try punt them on for big money. Who in England is ever going to spend a fortune on these players when they've already spent years there and not shown anything? No matter how well Waghorn did here, who in England is ever going to spend big money on him after such a poor goal return at lots of different lower league sides?

Waghorn held his won in the Championship with Leicester, Hull, Millwall and Wigan but the same cannot be said of Kiernan and Tavernier; never mind this season's crop e.g Garner who scored goals in League 1 but struggled in the Championship. Our current team would be lucky to finish mid table in League 1 because Wallace, and Mackay apart, essentially we have a team of League 1 players.

Totally agree we need to adopt a different signing policy.