Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

IMHO, we need a creative midfielder similarly to Kranjcar, someone able to cut open defenses.

We also need cover for Halliday in CM, preferably a tough, commanding chap who can dominate a MF and stamp his authority on a game. Rossiter needs game time, while I have yet to see more of Crooks.

Likewise, we need an out-and-out and preferrably in-form striker who puts the chances away. We usually create enough chances to win two games, but since we have that dynamic attack-line and people roving all over the place, the one who gets on the end of much of the fine work is missing time and again.

Apparently we are after Ruben Michals, a creative midfielder (Portuguese) who now plays in China.

Edited by scotjo

Always funny when the different papers have a go at one another for made up stories ...

Glasgow Rangers boss Mark Warburton is said to be considering bringing Fabbrini to Ibrox in January.

Birmingham City boss Gary Rowett has denied offering Diego Fabbrini to Glasgow Rangers - via the Birmingham Mail.

The Daily Mirror reported last week that Rangers had been approached about a January deal for the Italian, who is out of favour at St. Andrew's.

Gers boss Mark Warburton has admitted his interest in signing a 'dynamic, goalscoring midfielder' in January and was said to be considering a deal to bring Fabbrini to Ibrox on loan, ahead of a possible permanent transfer next summer (Daily Record).

Rowett, though, insisted he is not actively trying to offload Fabbrini.

"I saw one report which specifically said we had offered the player to certain clubs which is absolute rubbish. I don’t know many clubs that would actually offer their players," he said, as quoted by the Birmingham Mail.

"I know a lot of agents who would offer their players if they don’t feel they are happy or don’t feel they are playing, that’s the way it usually works.

"But I don’t know many clubs you could ring up and say 'Fancy this player?', 'Yeh, go on, we’ll have him'. It doesn’t really work quite as easy as that. There is a different process to go through.

"If we want someone else’s player we will make contact with the agent and see if that’s of potential interest to the player."

Fabbrini, who has made just five appearances for Birmingham this season, was again left out as the Blues suffered a 3-0 home defeat by Barnsley on Saturday.

And despite the above claims, Rowett suggested that were an approach to be made for the former Watford man, it would be considered.

"Any player that is not in our team, I would imagine come January some clubs will do exactly what we will do and think 'Can we take that player?' Whether that’s permanently or on loan.

"At that point if there is a deal on the table for any player then you would consider it with a balanced view as you would any other deal.

"Certainly I haven’t been actively ringing Mark Warburton and saying 'Would you like to take Diego?'"

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/12/05/birmingham-city-boss-denies-offering-diego-fabbrini-to-glasgow-r/

I think this upcoming window should be viewed as major and if it comes down to a choice of spending more now leaving less for next Summer I prefer to push the boat out in January. We need to make absolutely sure we take second place at a canter and get players bedded in over the coming months rather than relying on brand new signings to get us through the Europa league qualifiers.

I think this upcoming window should be viewed as major and if it comes down to a choice of spending more now leaving less for next Summer I prefer to push the boat out in January. We need to make absolutely sure we take second place at a canter and get players bedded in over the coming months rather than relying on brand new signings to get us through the Europa league qualifiers.

The January window has traditionally never a good opportunity for decent quality players though.....

Any transfer money should be reserved for the main summer window. Best option for the Jan window might be some decent loan signings.

The January window has traditionally never a good opportunity for decent quality players though.....

Any transfer money should be reserved for the main summer window. Best option for the Jan window might be some decent loan signings.

Totally agree that the January window isn't the best of the year due to most contracts ending in June/July which probably largely rules out the freebie market and sides being reluctant to let key players go mid season. What concerns me is the troubles we appear to have had at the start of this season trying to incorporate new signings into the system.

If we get a Europa league spot the qualifying matches will be right at the start of the season. A Europa league group run is absolutely essential to lift us up and away far beyond the Hearts and Aberdeens of this league and that in itself propels us closer to the main opposition. This is what's on offer for this seasons competition.

€200,000 for first qualifying round, €210,000 for second qualifying round, €220,00 for third. €2.4 million (Guaranteed) for each team who plays in the group stages. €360,000 for every win & €120,000 for a draw.

And all that's aside from the gate and concessions money for those home qualifying ties then 3 home group stage matches which would amount to millions and all that makes it our best chance to get some decent additional income next season which to me makes qualification for the group stage a major aim.

Edited by JFK-1