Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

It's a weird one. £250K is quite a big sum for us these days too...

Its all relative. Gilks obviously wants games at his stage of career, and perhaps Alnwick is a replacement for big Wes. Given Fod's form and progression, it would be no surprise to see a big club down south offer some serious money. There simply aren't that many GK's that are as consistently good with the gloves and his feet...

From FF ... and one of the more reliable posters:

S(tewart) R(obertson) will deal with any transfers over the next couple of days! as for people saying DK is calling the shots on who we sign and who needs to leave is talking nonsense. its completely down to SR and AD, budget was sorted at the meeting last midweek, they know what they to spend!

Confident there will be 2

Signings maybe 3

EDIT: Sidenote ... Ofori is currently with Ghana at the Cup of Nations. It is being murmured that he and Nicholson are pre-contract deals, should they happen.

EDIT 2: Regarding Omar Bogle ... the chap breaking that news veryfied that we contacted Grimsby saying that we'd be willing to go up to 900k. Straight info from a board member. Whether Grimsby take that or no is up to them.

Edited by der Berliner

Omar Bogle is playing in the fourth tier of English football. Whilst I have no issue with us signing players from any league, basing our entire signing policy on the remnants of English football has proven to be of limited effectiveness.

We need to be signing cheap players that we can develop for big profits, like Celtic do. That's the only way I see us getting back to where we need to be. We are are going be hard pushed finding such players in England. Are any of our signings from the English leagues worth much more than what we signed them for?

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Regards signing the port vale keeper, looks to me that the Rangers board want players moved out before bringing others in

Yes but in this case where you already have two established keepers and hardly anyone carries 3 then it makes sense.

If this was an outfield position I would be inclined to agree

Why are we offering almost £1m for a Grimsby player? More soft loans. I actually think we have a side capable of making second(if they pull their finger out!) without shelling out more cash from credit, soft or otherwise, must be paid back.

It's making me twitchy.

The issue is not if we will finish second, but what squad we will have ready and gelled together for the crucial Europa Cup qualifiers that will determine if we can do two things for 17-18. One, attract players to play for us. Two, have a budget where we can attract players to play for us.

The time to get the squad ready for next season, given the qualifiers begin in June and we will have no quality pre-season as any reasonable teams are on holiday, is NOW. This transfer window should have seen us hugely active, both in and out, and has been (with the disclaimer that we can hope things happen in the next 30 hours) a complete disaster, with ZERO improvement or movement (loanees that go away in May cannot count for what we need in June).

It is impossible to know if the fault lies with Warburton, Robertson, McParland, the Board, or a combination of all 4, but we have missed the chance, IMO, to ensure we have the best possible squad to progress to the group stages of the Europa, which should be our first priority for 2017.

The issue is not if we will finish second, but what squad we will have ready and gelled together for the crucial Europa Cup qualifiers that will determine if we can do two things for 17-18. One, attract players to play for us. Two, have a budget where we can attract players to play for us.

The time to get the squad ready for next season, given the qualifiers begin in June and we will have no quality pre-season as any reasonable teams are on holiday, is NOW. This transfer window should have seen us hugely active, both in and out, and has been (with the disclaimer that we can hope things happen in the next 30 hours) a complete disaster, with ZERO improvement or movement (loanees that go away in May cannot count for what we need in June).

It is impossible to know if the fault lies with Warburton, Robertson, McParland, the Board, or a combination of all 4, but we have missed the chance, IMO, to ensure we have the best possible squad to progress to the group stages of the Europa, which should be our first priority for 2017.

All good points. A £1m player from a side in the bottom half of the English second division(4th tier) is not the answer though.

Maybe it's me but at the moment we emerse the impression of a ship lacking direction?

As you say though, we need to be ready for Europe, should we get there?.

Edited by cooponthewing

All good points. A £1m player from a side in the bottom half of the English second division(4th tier) is not the answer though.Maybe it's me but at the moment we emerse the impression of a ship lacking direction?

As you say though, we need to be ready for Europe, should we get there?.

People could have said the same things about Jamie Vardy when he was playing for Fleetwood in non-league football..... and yet we continually (rightly so) want the club to buy low, sell high - but then bemoan us looking at the English leagues. We have plenty of fans who want us to scout far and wide to other leagues as if they are some kind of panacea - they aren't necessarily. Yes, we should be scouting as far as we can but there are no bigger guarantees from abroad.... just because they are foreign.

How do you know he isn't the answer ? Simple answer is, you don't. The same as I don't know he is the answer - only time would tell.

As for lacking direction - I thought we had all agreed that we needed a striker that could score goals for us ? And this is a guy that is scoring goals for fun. Is that not the direction we wanted, a goalscorer ? Now.... had you said a ship lacking finance the answer would probably have been different :(

If you were building a wall its no use borrowing bricks from your neighbour after all when you give them back your wall will fall , lets start identifying young players and signing them lets build a team instead of acting like cowboy builders .

If you were building a wall its no use borrowing bricks from your neighbour after all when you give them back your wall will fall , lets start identifying young players and signing them lets build a team instead of acting like cowboy builders .

No but you can board the space up until you can afford your own bricks.:thup: