Banned from Israel for being a Celtic fan

propale_3010031a.jpg

A JOURNALIST claims he has been banned from Israel – because he is a Celtic fan.

Eoin Wilson, a pro-Palestine activist, was issued with a letter warning he will be deported from the country and issued with a 10 year ban.

The document cited “public security or public safety or public order considerations”.

He wrote on Twitter: “Deported from occupied Palestine, given a 10yr ban by the Israeli state.

“Apparently a threat to ‘public order’.

“Interrogated by interior ministry, army and an intelligence agency.

“Israelis particularly interested in my past articles for Electronic Intifada.

“Also, surprising questions about my support for Celtic FC. Support of Celtic now synonymous with solidarity with Palestinian struggle?

“I’ve written about the Israeli occupation before, and it seems support of Celtic is an added black mark.

“My card was marked for articles written about occupation and past time spent in Palestine.”

Irish journalist Liam O’Hare also hit out at Israeli border cops online.

He tweeted: “Friend and colleague Eoin Wilson was just refused entry to Israel & banned for 10 years.

“He was questioned about his support for Celtic FC.”

He added: “Israel claims to be a ‘normal’ country. But refuses people entry on basis of nationality, political beliefs and now possibly team supported!

“It’s remarkable that the Israeli border control are using support for a football club as one of the reasons for refusing people entry.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/7260747/A-threat-to-public-order-Journalist-claims-he-was-banned-from-Israel-because-he-is-a-Celtic-fan.html

propale_3010031a.jpg

He added: “Israel claims to be a ‘normal’ country. But refuses people entry on basis of nationality, political beliefs and now possibly team supported!

“It’s remarkable that the Israeli border control are using support for a football club as one of the reasons for refusing people entry.”

Is it so remarkable that a country effectively at war which incidentally means it is no more a 'normal' country than wartime Britain was finds known sympathisers of multiple terrorist organisations undesirable? Was it remarkable that wartime Britain found Nazi and fascist sympathisers unappealing?

Yes, it is all to do with being a Sellick fan - nothing else to do with the fact he is a pro-Palestine activist or has penned pro-Palestine articles.

Even if it was influenced with the fact he is a Celtic fan, are they surprised after the anti-Israel hate fest that they openly flouted at their last Champions Leaugue qualifier? Or is that just another shameful chapter that is expected to be whitewashed?

Among the reasons given is 'public security or public safety or public order considerations'

I think it's pretty obvious that public order is a 100% given since as has been mentioned he is going out of his way to be provocative by simply wearing that shirt after their recent behavior when the Israelis visited. What if a Hapoel fan who had been in Glasgow and had been subject to their abuse had seen that shirt?

The very fact he even went there wearing it after all that has happened was provocative. Would I have got any sympathy if I had walked down the Falls road at the height of the conflict wearing a Rangers jersey? Orange sash? Supporting the UDA as they openly supported Hamas? Or would I have been branded deliberately provocative and looking to create an issue?