Clint Hill: At last I've got to grips with life at Rangers...

...I'm proud to be at such a huge club at 38.

CLINT HILL used to think a point away from home was a decent result at the other Rangers.

But the veteran admits it hasn’t taken him long to realise that won’t do at THIS Rangers.

The 38-year-old thought he’d seen pretty much everything during his time down south with QPR.

But even at this advanced stage of his career, there are still things that are taking him by surprise.

For starters, Hill has been blown away by the volume of support the Ibrox club take to every away game — and that’s why he insists anything less than a win at Ross County today simply won’t do.

He said: “I am slowly coming to terms with how big this club is and the expectation here.

“You obviously look at it from the outside and think, ‘Yeah, this is a big club’.

“But it’s not until you are actually there playing and see the history that goes with it that you realise. Each time we go away from home, for example, the crowds are big.

“Coming from my background in England, if you go to a tough place on a Tuesday night and get a draw people would regard that as a good point — NOT here!

“That’s not acceptable at Rangers. That’s one of the first things I found out.

“This club has a tremendous history of winning games. Anything else is frowned upon. That took me aback a little bit at first.

“That kind of scrutiny can shock you. But this is a football city with two massive teams in it — and that’s what comes with playing for a big club.

“If you don’t deal with the expectations then you are going to find yourself under pressure.

“You have to come through that, you have to be mentally strong.

“And once you do that then hopefully you turn the corner.” Hill moved north to the Ibrox club during the summer to give Mark Warburton defensive cover.

But it is no coincidence Gers’ performances have improved since the veteran has been in the team.

Hill has amassed vast experience playing for the likes of Stoke, Crystal Palace, Nottingham Forest as well as QPR. He’s also looked after himself far better than many of those he started out alongside.

And having suffered a number of serious injuries in his early days, he is loving his late lease of life at the top. He said: “My career has gone backwards in a weird way.

“I had a lot of injuries when I was younger, cruciates, broken legs, ankle injuries.

“At 24, 25 I thought, ‘I need to make sure I do things right here because it’s not going to get any easier’.

“I suppose it kicked in for me then, really, and I have just taken that on ever since.

“Touch wood, I’ve been quite clear for the last ten years or so. I was 32, 33 by the time I reached the Premier League with QPR. I have never been blessed with pace so I don’t know how people handle that kind of thing, where they’re explosive and that’s their game.

“If that starts diminishing, it must be quite hard mentally.

“But what you have to do is look after yourself.

“The game has changed since I first came in. The lads were still having steaks and a few pints before a game, that was the norm.

“Now sports science has come into it, training has come into it, recovery, gym work as well, you have to adapt over time really to the new trends that have come in.

“But the basics are there — if you eat well, sleep well, recover, then with everything at your disposal as a player you can go on till the age I am at or even longer.

“It’s easy to be not a model professional, if you know what I mean. It’s hard to be a good professional, to come in every day and give 100 per cent and walk off knowing you have done everything, your recovery, your bath, your gym and that you have eaten well.

“It’s hard, and a lot of better players than me have fallen by the wayside and not gone on to have the careers they should have had.

“It’s hard work and luck, to be honest with you. I’m 38 and I’m here. It’s something that I never have dreamed would happen.

“I’ve found myself at a massive club in a good league and I feel honoured to be here.

“I want to make the most of it. Don’t get me wrong — I’ll still have a Chinese and a few glasses of gin or something when I deserve it, maybe on a Saturday night.

“You’ve still got to have a bit of fun. It can’t all be sterile, but it’s got to be the right time.”

Hill rated last weekend’s 3-0 win over Kilmarnock as his side’s best performance of the season to date.

And the defender insists that’s the standard Rangers must now reach every week, starting in Dingwall today.

He said: “We’ve slowly improved as the season has gone on.

“We’ve been unlucky in a few games, but generally we’re a lot happier in how we are performing as a team.

“Last Saturday was definitely the standard we need to maintain week in, week out.”

“It clicked for us against Kilmarnock and that’s what our standard should be now. We can’t accept anything below that as a team now.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/7257467/Clint-Hill-At-last-Ive-got-to-grips-with-life-at-RangersIm-proud-to-be-at-such-a-huge-club-at-38.html

There can be no doubting the defence has improved with him in it. I couldn't say if that's down to the fact that he happens to be in it dealing with situations that weren't dealt with before or if his vast experience is improving his central partners. Maybe a bit of both. I liked this part of what he said.

“Last Saturday was definitely the standard we need to maintain week in, week out.”

“It clicked for us against Kilmarnock and that’s what our standard should be now. We can’t accept anything below that as a team now.”

Here's hoping, we're going to find out in less than 11 hours.

There can be no doubting the defence has improved with him in it. I couldn't say if that's down to the fact that he happens to be in it dealing with situations that weren't dealt with before or if his vast experience is improving his central partners. Maybe a bit of both. I liked this part of what he said.

Here's hoping, we're going to find out in less than 11 hours.

It took better players than him longer to settle into playing for Rangers,here's hoping all the players realise what it means to play for Rangers and we continue to progress.

Edited by ian1964