Bells not Brawls: Campaigners step up bid to movel Hogmanay Old Firm game

A COALITION of pub owners and business leaders wants to convince Justice Secretary Michael Matheson to veto the fixture's timing.

PUBLICANS and shop owners yesterday kicked off a bid to block the controversial Hogmanay Old Firm fixture.

The Bells not Brawls campaign launched by a coalition of pub owners and business leaders is aimed at persuading Justice Secretary Michael Matheson to veto the timing of the fixture.

The alliance includes the Scottish Licensed Trade Association (SLTA)and the City Centre Retail Association. Glasgow Chamber of Commerce and the management of the St Enoch Centre are backing the campaign.

An online petition was started yesterday on change.org along with a Facebook campaign.

As revealed in the Sunday Mail, the fixture was generated by computer software used by a firm in Florida.

Although many fear it will be a flashpoint for trouble, the Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL) and police have refused to move the game, which will televised live on Sky.

A Bells not Brawls spokeswoman said: “The fact that this will be the first time in 126 years a Rangers v Celtic fixture has been set for Hogmanay might just suggest to the more enlightened and experienced that it’s not exactly the brightest of ideas.”

SLTA chief executive Paul Waterson said: ”The decision to hold this game on New Year’s Eve is ridiculous. Already members have had customers cancelling their party bookings for that night.

“Others have decided to close early in the evening.

“Another member has cancelled his traditional customers’ party for fear of trouble on the night. It’s going to put the licensed trade under enormous pressure.”

Businessman Donald McLeod, who owns the Garage and Cathouse clubs in Glasgow and is convenor of the city’s licensing forum, said: “The decision to play this game on Hogmanay should be given the red card. Our message to the authorities is that we don’t want it.

“It’s a terrible advert for Scotland at a time when we should be promoting the country to the world.”

Police and the SPFL yesterday refused to comment on the campaign.

The Scottish Government said: “The scheduling of televised matches –including the Old Firm game – is agreed in partnership between the SPFL, Police Scotland and broadcasters.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/bells-not-brawls-campaigners-step-9054370

I was convinced this game would be moved to the Monday, 2nd January, with a lunchtime kick off. I am amazed it has been kept on Hogmanay. I can only think it has been done so to avoid the tims having to stay quiet when we remember our fallen from 1971, or for Lawwell not to have to choke on the Loving Cup.

To me it is no longer traditional as it has not happened for the past four years.

It should be moved so that families can enjoy the age old tradition of the festive period without concerns.

As the fixtures are drawn by computer they can be programmed to avoid this type of thing..

Sky call the shots and it's Hogmanay due to the vast audience it will get down south and worldwide. I like the traditional 01st Jan game, everyone is still wellied from the night before but if I'm honest I think it's a better choice.

Over here in Germany, the 24th is the day when the family gather and presents are exchanged. I doubt many football enthusiasts will exchange that for an Old Firm game, even if it is televised at 12.15 or the like, when all the people prepare house and themselves for the eve that follows.

Same goes for the 31st, BTW. Can't remember when we ever had such a scenario and it remained the way it came out of the fixture computer.