[FT] ICT 0 - 1 Rangers (Miller 22)

In a week when the Joey Barton saga took a new twist with the club extending his suspension by another seven days we have for the first time this season Barton aside a full squad to choose from. That being said, it may not be the case that they are all fully match fit with Jordan Rossiter and Joe Dodoo in particular out for weeks beforehand; so the starting line-up for the away match with Inverness Caley may still be somewhat debatable.

Caley began the season with a poor run of 3 straight league defeats plus a league cup defeat to league one Alloa but have turned that around to be undefeated in their last 5 which comprises two wins and three draws. The last of those draws came in their last league match away from home against Hamilton Accies at New Douglas Park when after a fairly evenly matched contest they snatched a late equalizer deep into second half injury time. That alone suggests Caley are a side who play to the last minute and must be treated with due respect.

What may be more relevant to Rangers was that in their most recent home game when the opposition were Dundee they turned in a performance which though on the day was statistically fairly well matched in terms of possession and shots by the away team they still ran out 3-1 winners. And in fact Caley are undefeated at home since week 2 of the league season when they sustained a narrow 2 goals to 3 defeat against Ross County.

Further only one of their three league defeats this season has come at home: and it must also be taken into consideration that Caley have already welcomed three of the current top four to the Caledonian stadium this season. St Johnstone, Celtic, and Aberdeen have all made the trip to Caley in recent weeks and it has to be significant that none of the three came away with a win.

St Johnstone were defeated by 2 goals to 1 while both Celtic and Aberdeen were held to a draw. Aberdeen were limited to a 1-1 draw; while league leaders Celtic also had to settle for just one point after Caley, just as they did against Hamilton, pulled a late equaliser out of the bag with an 89th minute goal. So, given that Caley have suffered just one home league defeat this season and beaten one of the current top four while drawing with the current top two; we have to expect a difficult match against a team full of confidence when facing top opposition. It actually may even be argued that Caley are the form team having taken 9 points from the last 15 available while we have taken just 5 from the last 15.

All of that having being said, Rangers can still make the trip North with some optimism since performances have been fairly impressive in recent weeks; putting aside a relatively poor showing last time out against Partick which still resulted in a win and three much needed points. Caley are undoubtedly a well organised hard working outfit but there is arguably a significant class gap between them and a Rangers squad which has no injuries for the first time this season. We must look for that class gap to be fully exploited in what is very possibly to be yet another case of a team parking the bus while hoping to steal a goal from us on the break.

This indeed may be viewed as an ideal match in which to produce an impressive winning display with a few goals thrown in against a side undefeated at home in 2 months and undefeated at home against all three of the current top four who have gone there. Not only would it provide another crucial three points it would be a huge confidence booster before the following match which since the away game against Hearts was postponed will be our last outing before the league cup semi final.

What better way to prepare for a game of such significance than with a convincing away win at a ground the opposition in that semi final plus all top half sides who have gone there have failed to win at? That factor alone makes it even more important than just the three points available that this game be won with a commanding performance which I feel the team are capable of.

Rangers fans need a wake-up call - Foran

Written byPaul Chalk

RICHIE Foran insists Rangers fans should get real and realise they have rejoined a tougher top-flight and no game will be a walkover.

The Inverness CT boss, who has just been confirmed as the Ladbrokes Premiership manager of the month for September, cannot wait to set his team out for a win against a Gers side now back at the top table after demotion was punishment through the dark days of liquidation.

The Glasgow side’s last visit to Inverness was in 2012 when they ran out 4-1 winners, but since then it’s one League Cup win apiece between them at Ibrox.

Foran is clearly thrilled to lock horns with Mark Warburton’s team, but says maybe their fans need to get a reality check about where they should be right now as a club.

He explained: "Rangers have fabulous players all over the park, but maybe some of their supporters expected them to come straight back into the Scottish Premiership and challenge by battering teams 3-0 and 4-0. This league has changed and the teams have improved, finances have improved as well. The standard of the football has gone right up.

"I’m sure their manager and players knew that they were never going to come back up and roll over teams.

"Maybe their supporters need to realise that as well. The game has changed since when they were last in the Premier Division."

Having drawn away to second-placed Aberdeen and home to leaders and champions Celtic, Foran has no reason to fear the game, insisting their plan is to have a go rather than simply try to stop Rangers, who will be without the banned midfielder Joey Barton.

He said: "I’m not worried about making it a difficult night for Rangers. At home, I am fully concentrating on my players.

"That’s what we do, no matter who we are up against. This is our patch, our ground, and we will be setting up to win the game. Not a lot will change in terms of how we play just because it’s Rangers. We will be playing our usual game and we’re fully focused on our strengths rather than worrying about Rangers.

"The games against Rangers and Celtic take care of themselves. We welcome them back up, it’s great to have them in the Premiership again. Scottish football has missed them.

"They are a huge club. They bring a spark about them with a massive support coming up to our city. It has the makings of a great night. We enjoy night games, I’m not sure why.

"The atmosphere changes for these matches under the floodlights. This will be the start of the weekend and so many people are happy that they have no work the next day.

"It has the makings of a really special night with Rangers being back here for the first time in a long time. We’re looking forward to it, but we are going out to win a game of football."

ICT hope to shake off a couple of niggles in time for tomorrow, with only defender Kevin McNaughton still missing as he recovers from his long-term Achilles injury.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Rangers-fans-need-a-wake-up-call-Foran-12102016.htm?

Sayest Foran ...

This league has changed and the teams have improved, finances have improved as well. The standard of the football has gone right up.

Ahem ... I would say the standard of football ICT plays has not gone up one iota from the days when Ian Black scored a 93rd min. penalty winner against us at Ibrox years ago, with their only shot on target. As soon as one of "these teams" get a settled team they become as dogged as Wimbledon once was in the English top flight. They can hold their head up against their fellow Hamiltons, Ross Counties and the like, dig in against the better teams and sneak the odd point or three. But that's essentially it. It usually is the extra ability on the day that wins it for the better teams, if they can produce it.

Not sure how ICT will go into this game, i.e. more attacking than away at Ibrox or digging in straight away and trying to hit us on the break with a little more fervor than usual. It sure will be a game for powerfull and tenacious people to start, so I would expect to see Garner and Waghorn from the off. I'd hope we give McKay a break and use either Dodoo or Forrester on the left. Holt, Halliday and Kranjcar will be the midfielders.

Wonder when Hodson will get a chance, who did admirably in Germany.

Good to see us have pretty much a full squad available.

Going to be difficult to pick a team for tomorrow night's game. It will be interesting to see if the manager sticks with the side that beat Thistle or if guys like Windass and Dodoo can get into the first XI.

In the Brechin Advertiser ...

Don't write off Rangers just yet - Richie Foran

Thursday 13 October 2016

Inverness boss Richie Foran claims it is too early to write off Rangers - and insists Mark Warburton's team could yet steal Celtic's title.

Gers manager Warburton has faced criticism already this term after watching his side struggle to assert themselves on their return to the Ladbrokes Premiership.

Just eight games into the season, Gers already trail Brendan Rodgers' rampant Hoops - who have a game in hand - by seven points.

Rookie Caley Thistle chief Foran also knows what it is like to come under pressure after losing his first three league matches in charge.

But his side have responded with a five-match unbeaten run, earning Foran the manager of the month award for September.

And the Irishman reckons his Gers counterpart, who he will face up to on Friday night when Inverness welcome the Light Blues to the Highlands, could perform a remarkable comeback of his own.

He told Press Association Sport: "Rangers could win the league this year, it's as simple as that. They could win it.

"I watched them against Aberdeen and in the first half I thought they were excellent, although they didn't create a lot of opportunities on goal.

"But their play was of a top, top standard and Rangers could still go and win the league. It's too early to say they won't.

"A lot of their players won't have played in the Premiership before so they are still adapting. Don't write Rangers off just yet."

But Foran does admit the Rangers side who will run out at the Caledonian Stadium on Friday night will not possess the same fear factor as Gers sides of the past.

"Obviously it's a big test for us," said the 36-year-old. "It's Glasgow Rangers. It's great to have them back coming up to the Highlands and we welcome them back.

"They have been missed from the Premiership and I think having them back adds extra credibility to the league.

"They have been getting a wee bit of criticism over the last few months but I think people need to be realistic.

"The top flight has changed since the last time they were in it. The belief in the players coming up against Rangers and Celtic has risen massively. They believe they can take points off them now.

"I don't think six or seven years ago that belief was there.

"I remember back to my Motherwell days and we went into these games hoping to contain them. But now I think the emphasis is on how the teams facing them are going to play and about their own strengths rather than the Old Firm's, particularly at home."

Less hysterical than what the "big papers" made of Foran's words.

I think Richie Foran is simply using his eyes and head. There have indeed been teething problems in this first quarter but it still is just part way through the first quarter with the bulk of the season still ahead of us. Even against Caley despite the fact for the first time no one is injured they're still not all match fit with Jonathon Rossiter who impressed in early season being an example of that plus we still have the highoy promising Josh Windass waiting to get a run of games.

Foran is seeing what I have been seeing. That this team is a clear cut above all but the league leaders and are well capable of playing almost anything in that league off the park. My opinion since the opening weeks has been that we wont start seeing the best of them till into the second quarter and with that still some weeks away we have already seen signs of what they're capable of. Aberdeen who lay claim to being "second best in Scotland" were run ragged and stole as lucky a result as they will get in many a year.

This game with Caley if we can get it together could be a turning point for the team. If we can go there and get a good win at a place that's very hard to take a result from it could lay the foundation for the good run we have been needing to push us right back into contention. Add to that the fact it's the last game for us before the league cup semi and it all makes Caley a key match at this point.

I feel we're going to have to break them down because if you consider that the "second best" in Scotland were pinned back and punting long balls what else can we expect from Caley? Of course they may surprise me and try to play, and we will find out in little more than 24 hours. With the international break since the Partick game I have been strangely missing the anxiety waiting to see how they will play. It feels almost like a season opener again.

Richie Foran is either playing mind games or underestimating us...Rangers will dominate the game, it's just a matter of time before Rangers hand out a real battering...hopefully up there, 3-0 or 4-0 even!

As for the league changing and the teams improving, with finances improving as well and the standard of the football going right up...That's bollocks! The standard of your average Scottish side remains no better than say 5 years ago, in fact I'd say it has worryingly deteriorated even more so in that time.

C'mon Rangers shut these diddy teams up and have them show a little respect for a change!

Edited by Bearman

Richie Foran is either playing mind games or underestimating us...Rangers will dominate the game, it's just a matter of time before Rangers hand out a real battering...hopefully up there, 3-0 or 4-0 even!

As for the league changing and the teams improving, with finances improving as well and the standard of the football going right up...That's bollocks! The standard of your average Scottish side remains no better than say 5 years ago, in fact I'd say it has worryingly deteriorated even more so in that time.

C'mon Rangers shut these diddy teams up and have them show a little respect for a change!

I too think the standard has if anything fallen and that's perfectly illustrated by the fact all of them but one were out of Europe to minnows before the preliminary rounds ended. And even the one that made it rode their luck.

Where I agree with Foran is in his assessment that despite a relatively poor start to the campaign this is still a good side that can challenge and someone is indeed due a thrashing. Hopefully Caley though I have nothing against them. A good result would simply be timely for us before the league cup semi. I would like an early goal or even two that forced them to open up and play.

What I expect is the "second best in Scotland strategy" Pack the box and fire long balls to a lone runner.