Ray Wilkins on his time at Rangers

Didn't realise he was with us for 2 and half years. Only felt like around 1 year for some reason. Perhaps a tad young to remember.

Ray is a Gent and a half. Was surprising to hear recently about his alcoholism issues.

I was at Ibrox for his first or at least one of his first home matches and I can't remember who the opposition was but what does stick in my mind was that early on in the match I was watching him closely because he was new and a big name and it struck me as he chased after a ball that in my opinion he could barely move. I was disappointed because I knew just by looking at him run that I myself could leave him standing.

But to be fair back in the day very few people at all could match me in a sprint and the chances are I could have outrun the vast majority of players.

Of course as he grew into his role I learned the lesson that speed isn't always absolutely necessary to make a good player and we might keep that in mind about Kranjcar and Barton too I suppose. Obviously speed would always be a bonus but it's not an absolute necessity.

I was at Ibrox for his first or at least one of his first home matches and I can't remember who the opposition was but what does stick in my mind was that early on in the match I was watching him closely because he was new and a big name and it struck me as he chased after a ball that in my opinion he could barely move. I was disappointed because I knew just by looking at him run that I myself could leave him standing.

But to be fair back in the day very few people at all could match me in a sprint and the chances are I could have outrun the vast majority of players.

Of course as he grew into his role I learned the lesson that speed isn't always absolutely necessary to make a good player and we might keep that in mind about Kranjcar and Barton too I suppose. Obviously speed would always be a bonus but it's not an absolute necessity.

He struggled a bit early on with the hustle and bustle in mid 87-88 when he came, but when he had the full season in 88-89 he was immense from then on, picking his passes and he didn't need to be quick or particularly mobile because he read the game so well and he was a huge asset because of that and he could get stuck in to win the ball.