Match day experience

Maybe it's a personal thing, but I've always seen the likes of football as not something that is entertaining per se - as well as most other sports, the magic comes from the whole gamut of vicarious emotions from willing the team or player to do well and win, to willing them to hold up against adversity and not capitulate to the opposition.

Maybe kids of today are getting "educated" about entertainment and missing the real experience.

I remember my first game was not "entertaining" at all, it was against Aberdeen and we scored early and I actually spent a lot of the rest of the game wanting it to end so we would win. I was willing the ball away from our goal, feeling the nerves that they might score and having a "tummy jump" if they came close and you didn't quite know if it went in for a second. And then getting excited when we were on the attack, and loving it when we had a decent chance, as well as the elation when you thought we had scored and the deflation when you realised it wasn't to be, or the anger and frustration when it went in but was called off-side. I think it was a dull game football wise in my memory, but incredibly exciting. It was a long time ago, and I do remember far too many pass backs to the keeper that was pretty tedious - I was so glad when they banned it.

I did love the entertainment when the likes of Davie Cooper got the ball and did his trickery - if he was in the mood, and Willie Johnston wasn't bad either - you'd see both quite well as they kept swapping sides. Bobby Russel was also an entertaining player.

But the point is that the experience was less about appreciating good football and enjoying all the excitement of two teams trying to beat each other and passionately wanting only one of them to do well. That's what turns you into a supporter and why the "neutral" games of the best teams in Europe are often are often uninteresting for many.

I think that's what also gets you into playing the sport as you want to emulate your heroes and get have all the feelings but first hand for yourself, rather than vicariously.

Can understand what is being said and the "boredom" of kids can come from the sitting aspect,which obviously nowadays is required for safety,and 90+ minutes is a long time.

The old days of excitement when standing with parents and other fans are long gone and unlikely to return,and I must admit I often get bored whilst sitting even when we are playing well.

Children need to learn the appropriate way to behave when the game is boring. That shouldn't involve various silly ideas like colouring in or face painting.

Fortunately there are many role models available nearby. When the game is boring the children should take note of what adult supporters do i.e. groan, shout and complain.

Can understand what is being said and the "boredom" of kids can come from the sitting aspect,which obviously nowadays is required for safety,and 90+ minutes is a long time.

The old days of excitement when standing with parents and other fans are long gone and unlikely to return,and I must admit I often get bored whilst sitting even when we are playing well.

I think I'm of a generation of Rangers fans that got used to sitting - my first game was when they had built the Copland and Broomloan stands, and the Govan stand was just a load of iron work.

I still think there is something about the crowd rising as one at a goal or near chance, and standing to clap the players on and off.

I also went to Hampden and Rugby Park a fair few times when it was terracing and hated the really poor view - especially when your head was at pitch level (!), or as a kid had adults in the way, and as an adult having taller adults in the way. I now much prefer to sit, and even better when the seats are cushioned... so maybe getting soft... but don't see why you can't be comfortable for most of the time when watching a game.

I do like to stand in a pub which is something that is less and less popular - that's more to do with being sociable and mingling. I also prefer to stand when watching a live band.

Fortunately there are many role models available nearby. When the game is boring the children should take note of what adult supporters do i.e. groan, shout and complain.

A bit of venting and allowing yourself to vocalise your frustrations is probably a therapeutic part of the game. :)

I think I'm of a generation of Rangers fans that got used to sitting - my first game was when they had built the Copland and Broomloan stands, and the Govan stand was just a load of iron work.

I still think there is something about the crowd rising as one at a goal or near chance, and standing to clap the players on and off.

I also went to Hampden and Rugby Park a fair few times when it was terracing and hated the really poor view - especially when your head was at pitch level (!), or as a kid had adults in the way, and as an adult having taller adults in the way. I now much prefer to sit, and even better when the seats are cushioned... so maybe getting soft... but don't see why you can't be comfortable for most of the time when watching a game.

I do like to stand in a pub which is something that is less and less popular - that's more to do with being sociable and mingling. I also prefer to stand when watching a live band.

Was the pavilion any good? :P