A jag in the bum. Rangers v Partick Thistle Preview

http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/011016-Rangers-v-Partick-Thistle/G0000sHGTc8sZMMQ/I0000lIJvsmbFaBs/C000073HvEmiL_x0

It should work now.

At Kanjcars goal there is not one forward in sight. I would think we should be able to see at least 2.

Got it, thanks!

Yes, Miller drifts in the build-up but you would expect him to get into the box; Waghorn is nowhere to be seen!! We'll need to carry Kranjcar defensively, but if you give him options he'll find them.

It's not entirely pointless, for if we have the ball the opponent can't (theoretically) score!! :D But, I agree we need to get the next stage right, the penetration. It's the penetration we're struggling with at the moment.

No penetration because it takes 9 or 10 passes to get to their penalty box, by that time they are set up defensively. Most of the time we pass it backwards to where it was when we started.

A few rather annoying things yesterday, starting off with the team selection. I would have stuck with those who started against Aberdeen, and sure had not used Miller and Waghorn in that ever-switching left-wing / striker thing. Likewise, playing McKay ahead of O'Halloran on the right wing. What we ended up were players being out of position that it beggared belief. While it is really great to see Holt in there and getting into scoring positions, he's an attacking MF FFS, not the central striker. Quite a few times Waghorn was even behind the half-way line getting balls, which was odd. While I have no qualms with Miller per se, he should be in the main striker role or just behind that.

Likewise, our play from back to front was labourous, to be kind here. Why is there need to stop the ball, run two metres and then play a pass to someone already covered, when you've got 10 metres of free space in front of you? Kranjcar, in contrast, hardly ever used two touches, but sent quick passes all over the place to people in space (which was not that often the case). If only we could play him and Windass and Holt and Forrester plus Halliday as cover in one game. We'd have to introduce the 2-man defence :D Perhaps it is time to introduce Hodson every now and then, who seemed to be more potent than either of our current fullbacks of late? Same goes for Dodoo and McKay on the left wing.

As some have said, perhaps we should revert to 4-4-2 every now and then, just to give us more threat up front and thwart the opposition's tactics a little better. What we really SHOULD do though is playing people in their correct positions.

http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/011016-Rangers-v-Partick-Thistle/G0000sHGTc8sZMMQ/I0000lIJvsmbFaBs/C000073HvEmiL_x0

It should work now.

At Kanjcars goal there is not one forward in sight. I would think we should be able to see at least 2.

That was a major source of frustration for me. On more than one occasion, Kranjcar was the furthest player up the park.

In those highlights I couldn't see a) the tackle on Halliday and b) the ref defending against us in their box. Anyone got a clip to them?

That's the foul, but rather late into it ...

http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/011016-Rangers-v-Partick-Thistle/G0000sHGTc8sZMMQ/I0000SYWUks4UJqg/C000073HvEmiL_x0

... Had his feet off the ground and one leg straight. Could have caused serious damage to Halliday, who was chopped somewhat later again, which left him hobbling about. Doubt the ref gave anything for that either. The first tackle, if the commentator was right, shattered Halliday's shin-guard.

Edited by der Berliner

No penetration because it takes 9 or 10 passes to get to their penalty box, by that time they are set up defensively. Most of the time we pass it backwards to where it was when we started.

I agree with you more direct attacks will be beneficial, but we can still penetrate when an opponent is set up defensively.

I agree with you more direct attacks will be beneficial, but we can still penetrate when an opponent is set up defensively.

We are too predictable, everybody and their granny knows what we do. Plan A is fine but not to have a plan B, C or D is just stuborn nonsense.

Why not tell your keeper to play a long ball occasionally and have 2/3 players up the park, just mix it up to keep opponents guessing.

We are too predictable, everybody and their granny knows what we do. Plan A is fine but not to have a plan B, C or D is just stuborn nonsense.

Why not tell your keeper to play a long ball occasionally and have 2/3 players up the park, just mix it up to keep opponents guessing.

IMO "plan A" is not working properly, which is not to say we shouldn't be playing it. I would much rather see us get it working properly than see us lump it long. I'm not opposed to seeing Wes lump it long, but only as a way of initiating a quick counter attack. I really don't want to see us hitting it long to a target man. Is that not predictable? Is that not just "stubborn nonsense" wanting it to be hit long as we've done in the past? Predictability has nothing to do with it IMO: If we execute is as it should be executed, teams will have problems.

We agree for the most part, that the system is not working; we just disagree on what that means. I think you would like to see it changed altogether? Whereas I would prefer to see us get it right, for I believe it is the right/best way to play.