Transfer Deadline Day

Wonder if we will see any big movers. I would say the biggest move will be Jack Wilshire out of Arsenal and likely going to Palace. They have done some good business with getting Benteke, Townsend and Remy but they still play awful (they cost me 600 bucks at the weekend on the accumulator).

But when you see Southampton and West Brom blowing their transfer records to a figure we cant compare with it shows that a move down there as per other threads is worth it.

Wonder if we will see any big movers. I would say the biggest move will be Jack Wilshire out of Arsenal and likely going to Palace. They have done some good business with getting Benteke, Townsend and Remy but they still play awful (they cost me 600 bucks at the weekend on the accumulator).

But when you see Southampton and West Brom blowing their transfer records to a figure we cant compare with it shows that a move down there as per other threads is worth it.

Absolutely worth it. People are talking about it might take years. So what? Let's say it took 6 years and that would be presuming winning leagues 3, 2, and 1 in succession then say 3 years in the Championship where incidentally we would be making more money than we are on this sinking ship before a promotion.

Alternatively stay here and how many times would we win the SPL inside that same 6 years? Let's say we won it half the time for 3 wins then presume further that we actually made it to the group stage all 3 times which in itself is a big ask on an SPL budget.

What would that get us? Well judging by what they are allegedly going to make about 20 to 30 million each time for a total of 90 million if we presume the maximum.

A single year in the EPL would get us more than that. What is there to even think about when aside from all that it gets us out of the poisonous shithole we are in where apparently we're not even wanted. There is NOTHING to think about if this invitation came.

Edited by JFK-1

David Luiz back to Chelsea. I thought they did the best transfer business ever selling him for 50M 2 years ago but to buy him back. He isn't a defender at all.

Sissoko to Spurs for 30M??

Leicester also signing a striker who is barely known for 29M.

Wilshire to Bournemouth is surprising, I thought he would have went to Palace to stay in London. But fair play to both player and club.

Surprised by Luiz, but it is a good bit of business. He's not a bad defender (He's the type we need!), and it now allows Chelsea to play a back-three (Conte's favourite) if required. Alonso is also a good signing; versatile, dynamic, good in the air and an excellent set-piece taker (although probably down the pecking order at Chelsea in that regard), I've been impressed with his performances for Fiorentina in what is a technically proficient side.

Also more than surprised at Sissoko's fee! He'll not be first choice, so 30M for a squad player is crazy. I wasn't surprised when they initially pulled out.

Slimani is a good acquisition for Leicester. He fits their profile, being very, very quick. He's been a stand-out in a Sporting side that narrowly missed out on a title last year.

I always thought Wilshere would go to Bournemouth, out of the choices; it just fits. I think the commute is an issue, but someone said that it is probably easier to get to Bournemouth than the other side of London!

I find it frustrating when people criticise teams for spending 'obscene' amounts on 'unknowns'. What that means is they're unknown to you. The money is ever increasing -- rightly or wrongly -- but teams will only spend what they think a player is worth. Slimani is a good player, and 29M seems about average for a good player nowadays. They've obviously got the money to through around, so I don't see the big deal. I'm disappointed Rangers are not able to play at that level, but there is nothing much we can do about it -- except join the set-up, I suppose.

Edited by Rousseau

Luiz has a lot of talent but he's not reliable as a defender. I find this move surprising because Conte usually goes for rock solid centre halves, which Luiz isn't at all.

All in all a pretty damn disappointing summer of transfers. £116 million on Batshuayi, Kante, Alonso and Luiz...

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Surprised by Luiz, but it is a good bit of business. He's not a bad defender (He's the type we need!), and it now allows Chelsea to play a back-three (Conte's favourite) if required. Alonso is also a good signing; versatile, dynamic, good in the air and an excellent set-piece taker (although probably down the pecking order at Chelsea in that regard), I've been impressed with his performances for Fiorentina in what is a technically proficient side.

Also more than surprised at Sissoko's fee! He'll not be first choice, so 30M for a squad player is crazy. I wasn't surprised when they initially pulled out.

Slimani is a good acquisition for Leicester. He fits their profile, being very, very quick. He's been a stand-out in a Sporting side that narrowly missed out on a title last year.

I always thought Wilshere would go to Bournemouth, out of the choices; it just fits. I think the commute is an issue, but someone said that it is probably easier to get to Bournemouth than the other side of London!

I find it frustrating when people criticise teams for spending 'obscene' amounts on 'unknowns'. What that means is they're unknown to you. The money is ever increasing -- rightly or wrongly -- but teams will only spend what they think a player is worth. Slimani is a good player, and 29M seems about average for a good player nowadays. They've obviously got the money to through around, so I don't see the big deal. I'm disappointed Rangers are not able to play at that level, but there is nothing much we can do about it -- except join the set-up, I suppose.

Luiz is an awful defender, he has a mistake in him every game. Did you see the penalty he gave away against Monaco last week. PSG have cut their losses well. He is not the type of defender Rangers need at all (I said type), although he is a decent player, just a poor defender. He will be Ok in a back 3 as the other 3 defenders plus Kante can cover him, so playing out the box he will be fine.

RE unknown players - not at all, it reflects the inflated English premier league. Besides China that is the only league who are throwing obscene amounts and it shows no reflection on the player at all. The Middle East and MLS pay high wages for retiree's but English teams are throwing crazy transfer fees at average players. There will be a few more Leeds and Portsmouth situation eventually as the cycle cant continue when there is only 4 CL places up for grabs. You can see the effect it has on Liverpool - they cant attract World Class players.

Luiz is an awful defender, he has a mistake in him every game. Did you see the penalty he gave away against Monaco last week. PSG have cut their losses well. He is not the type of defender Rangers need at all (I said type), although he is a decent player, just a poor defender. He will be Ok in a back 3 as the other 3 defenders plus Kante can cover him, so playing out the box he will be fine.

RE unknown players - not at all, it reflects the inflated English premier league. Besides China that is the only league who are throwing obscene amounts and it shows no reflection on the player at all. The Middle East and MLS pay high wages for retiree's but English teams are throwing crazy transfer fees at average players. There will be a few more Leeds and Portsmouth situation eventually as the cycle cant continue when there is only 4 CL places up for grabs. You can see the effect it has on Liverpool - they cant attract World Class players.

Then why is he priced so much higher than Efe Ambrose? :razz:

I don't think Luiz is an awful defender, but admit that he does have a mistake or two in him -- case in point the Monaco game. Apparently PSG were reluctant to let him go, but the manager stated that he'd be third-choice behind Silva and Marquinhos, who are younger and better. There is no doubt in my mind that he was not Conte's first-choice -- he'd prefer more disciplined defenders -- but surely the fact that a man such as Conte would give the green light suggests he would be a good addition to the squad? He knows the player's strengths and weaknesses. My main point was that he was a good buy simply because it gave the team more options: Conte can now play three at the back; it gives him another arrow in his quiver.

I think he is the "type" of player we need. We need a CB that is quick, can read the game well (outwith those brain farts) and can pass a ball accurately and sharply -- he's very good in the air too. Ideally, we'd want that with a more disciplined player, but those are few and far between. My point was that we need a "Luiz" rather than a "Terry", as the former would suit our game better.

I agree prices are rising, but so is income. There will always be a correlation. Prices were never going to stay the same as they were X number of years ago. If teams need to increase the price to get the player they want, then so be it, if they deem it necessary. I don't disagree that teams can pay high prices for "average" players -- even although I disagree with your example, as I think Slimani is a very good player -- but if that's the price that both agree with, then that's that. The market sets the price. There probably will be more Leeds and Portsmouth scenarios. Liverpool are just more pragmatic -- of course lack of CL plays its part -- as I don't think they are willing to pay higher fees. If more clubs act like that then the prices will decrease.