RB Leipzig sign £13m Oliver Burke

Red Bull Leipzig have completed the signing of Oliver Burke from Nottingham Forest.

Sky sources understand the fee for Burke is £13m, and the newly-promoted Bundesliga side confirmed the signing by posting a picture of the 19-year-old on their official Twitter account.

Burke was linked with a move to a number of Premier League clubs, but RB Leipzig beat off competition to secure the signature of the highly-rated prospect.

In a statement posted on his official Twitter account, he said: "When I found out that Forest had agreed a deal to sell me it was a surprise, but I understand that the transfer fee received should help stabilise the club and allow Forest to sign at least two or three quality players who can help push the team for promotion.

"As for my new club, RB Leipzig, all I can say is they wanted me and expressed a real hunger for me to join them and hopefully enhance their team," he added.

"RB Leipzig has a desire to be one of the top clubs in Europe and I am excited to be a part of that and start the next chapter in my footballing career."

Burke has been a key figure in Nottingham Forest's attacking force this season, scoring four goals in five Championship fixtures.

But the Scotland international will now be the prized asset of RB Leipzig, who have had a dramatic rise to the top flight of German football.

The club were founded in 2009 after an initiative by Red Bull, who purchased the playing right of fifth division side SSV Markranstadt, with an aim of reaching the Bundesliga within eight years.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/burke-joins-red-bull-leipzig/ar-AAibPEV

Couldn't believe this when I read it, Ive never heard of the guy yet he goes for 13M from the Championship to a German Side.

Who is the young kid who went to Portugal and has a buy out clause of about 50M?? He hasn't kicked a ball since he went.

Couldn't believe this when I read it, Ive never heard of the guy yet he goes for 13M from the Championship to a German Side.

Who is the young kid who went to Portugal and has a buy out clause of about 50M?? He hasn't kicked a ball since he went.

You're thinking of Ryan Gauld, the 'mini-Messi'. He's now on loan to a top-flight Portuguese club. Think he's less likely to make it than Burke. I know there are late developers but if can't play by the time you're 19 you never will.

German footie mag Kicker says Euro 12m, Bayern, Arsenal and Spurs were supposedly looking at him.

BTW, RB Leipzig (RB stands for Red Bull but such advertising isn't allowed in Germany ... even though you have Bayer Leverkusen), was whipped up by said company only in 2009 and play at the old Central Stadium in Leipzig, now "of course" the Red Bull Arena.

They worked their way up through the leagues and have just completed their first Bundesliga game this weekend.

While he is not of that calibre just now, the BL clubs can throw money about as well, e.g. Renato Sanchez (Portugal, 19) signing for Bayern for Euro 35m.

Edited by der Berliner

You're thinking of Ryan Gauld, the 'mini-Messi'. He's now on loan to a top-flight Portuguese club. Think he's less likely to make it than Burke. I know there are late developers but if can't play by the time you're 19 you never will.

Yeah that's the one. Havent seen or heard about him since his move, very strange one.

As for Burke Ive never heard of him either, he isn't even in the national squad.