Preston statement regarding Joe Garner

Agree with you there stability comes through long term and not short fixes.

Finances may be tight but I personally am not happy with loans who develop with us or players coming to be sold on as it seems.

If things continue in this vein I can see us having the same start season after season trying to bed players in and getting them to gel which is not ideal when trophy/champions are to be won.

R joe will score loads for you this season,can't wait to see him against them in green. The celtic fans will hate him and you will love him. Seriously he will be missed down hear ,i think rangers have just gained a few thousand new fans from preston...good luck joe.....

R joe will score loads for you this season,can't wait to see him against them in green. The celtic fans will hate him and you will love him. Seriously he will be missed down hear ,i think rangers have just gained a few thousand new fans from preston...good luck joe.....

Good luck to Preston North End this season too my friend.

Hope you are right about Joe. It's always nice when a player leaves a club not only on good terms but with the fans wishing him well and being disappointed to lose him.

Good luck to Preston North End this season too my friend.

Hope you are right about Joe. It's always nice when a player leaves a club not only on good terms but with the fans wishing him well and being disappointed to lose him.

I might pop up in a few months to see how he's getting on, i know a few north enders are coming up to watch a few games ..

I might pop up in a few months to see how he's getting on, i know a few north enders are coming up to watch a few games ..

Post every now and then on here and when you know what game(s) you will be attending I'm sure some of our regulars will treat you to a pint to show our hospitality :thup:

Having a driving policy of signing players to sell at a profit on seems like an exercise in futility and diverts from any reasonable ethos of our club being something to do with winning trophies and sporting excellence. If that happens, I think we'll be moribund and on the way to a slow, inglorious death. It's not something I'd welcome.

There's nothing wrong with assessing the risks of paying good money for players with the hedging of a possible residual or speculatively increasing value, but we should be primarily buying players we think will play successfully in our team, and so help us win trophies and do realistically well in Europe.

Losing a great player we've discovered for a high fee, should be because the money is compensation for the loss, not our raison d'etre.

The state of the game where we find ourselves is depressing enough, without going down a road of some sort of perpetual feeder club.

Brings to mind another club who have gone down that path and what did it get them? If memory serves correctly it got them humiliated beaten home and away by the likes of Molde. A team with a ground capacity around 11,000 and a fraction of their budget to work with.

A it stands we too have a smaller budget than this club but as Molde have proven that doesn't mean anything if you're not spending it in an efficient manner. Everyone wants success yesterday but at the same time we should spend our budget on nothing but promising boys who may or may not turn a significant profit in the future?

A mixture of experience and such boys is the most efficient way to spend our money. If Joe Garner became a revelation that took us all the way to the title and into the champions league isn't that money well spent? That also returns a significant profit though in a different manner.

Edited by JFK-1

Whilst our finances dictate that we need to be financially prudent we also shouldn't simply be looking to bring players in and sell them for profit - that makes us nothing more than a revolving door football club and eventually young talent wont want to come as there is no continuity.

As has been said above, profits come in different shapes and form, not just in selling that player on (isn't it a touch ignorant to be talking about selling players on when they have only just arrived and haven't even kicked a ball for us in anger ??). If Joe Garner provides the goals that make the difference in us winning the league or coming 2nd then that in itself means a higher allocation of the league standings winnings. Which would probably pay for his purchase price on its own. It would also give us the opportunity to enter Europe's biggest competition and whilst we may not get into the group stages or get the lucrative finances of it, we know that winning our own league also prevents Celtic from getting a crack at Champions League riches. Which also has value as it keeps them closer to us whilst we try to recover from the carnage of the past 4 years.

It isn't only about buying and selling. It is also about added value - and that added value can be in terms of contribution. To use an extreme example..... Just say that Chelsea were prepared to sell us John Terry for 1.5 million. Given our current defensive situation would any of us really not wish to buy him simply because there is no sell-on value ? Or would we recognize that he could bring the solidity to the back line that we need and would give us a greater chance of winning the league ? Would be 1.5 million well spent as it shores up a leaking back-line, brings a very experienced head into the fold and adds value in terms of the team.

It is all too easy to say that our strategy should be to "look to the European leagues, pick up the best youths that are there, bring them in, rain, develop and play them and then sell them on for a massive profit" - this is much harder to do these days than you think as all the clubs in the bigger leagues have so much resource to throw into their scouting that the chances of beating them to a player is very slim. Example... Bournemouth came to Bermuda earlier this year, sending two of their scouts/Academy coaches over and ended up taking two of my son's team this summer. Even in obscure, far-flung, small countries the teams in the big leagues have their tentacles out.

It really isn't as easy as people make it sound.

Many PNE fans also suggest he didn't score as many goals because of they defensive way they played last season.

Strikers cost the most money in terms of transfer fees and £750K (plus the same next summer depending on certain stipulations) isn't a huge outlay in the grand scheme of things.

We have also brought in a young striker whom we could sell on at a profit so it perhaps made sense to compliment this signing with an experienced player capable of fitting into our system and scoring goals, Garner does this and if he does the business over the next 3 years then who's to say we won't still make a tidy profit if he moves on at some point?

Finally, as it stands our scouting network remains poor compared to others clubs. McParland seems to be doing a reasonable job but, like every other part of the club, his department needs investment. That will only come when we start making money again - either via European group stage football or by selling on playing assets.

As it stands there an element of chicken and egg when it comes to progress at the club and many fans would do well to understand this.

They scored 45 on the league last season and the top scorer had 8.

They scored 45 on the league last season and the top scorer had 8.

So 6 isn't so bad in that respect is it. Many of the PNE fans think he just didn't get the service and support that type of player requires to thrive. They were playing a park the bus strategy leaving him stranded up front alone.

Having a driving policy of signing players to sell at a profit on seems like an exercise in futility and diverts from any reasonable ethos of our club being something to do with winning trophies and sporting excellence. If that happens, I think we'll be moribund and on the way to a slow, inglorious death. It's not something I'd welcome.

There's nothing wrong with assessing the risks of paying good money for players with the hedging of a possible residual or speculatively increasing value, but we should be primarily buying players we think will play successfully in our team, and so help us win trophies and do realistically well in Europe.

Losing a great player we've discovered for a high fee, should be because the money is compensation for the loss, not our raison d'etre.

The state of the game where we find ourselves is depressing enough, without going down a road of some sort of perpetual feeder club.

Signing players, developing them and trying to turn a profit is what just about every club on the planet does, none more so than Scottish teams. We've been a selling club for a long time and it's not going to change any time soon.

Also, where do you think the money's going to come from for doing well in Europe? Do you think we're going to do well by signing players for peanuts from the lower leagues in England? Both European tournaments will be a huge struggle until we can afford higher quality players.