Griffiths booked for diving; But isn't a cheat

What a difference a couple of weeks make. A couple of weeks ago Jamie Walker of Hearts ended up being suspended for two games and labeled a cheat by broonaldo. Now Griffiths does exactly the same thing Walker did and there appears to be no outrage from their camp. Griffiths is merely a professional "trying to gain an advantage"

From the record.

Leigh Griffiths was booked for diving against St Johnstone but did he cheat?

CRAIG SWAN: Cheat is a strong word. Griffiths was trying to gain an advantage. If you want to call that cheating, then it’s cheating. The difference between that incident and the Jamie Walker one is that the Celtic player was caught and punished with a booking.

GORDON PARKS: It’s a striker’s instinct to anticipate a challenge, so every time a player takes a tumble inside the box shouldn’t bring an outcry with the word “cheat” too easily branded about. He was looking for an advantage but, like it or not, that’s his job.

MICHAEL GANNON: Griffiths was doing what every player in the world would do in the same situation. He was looking for a penalty. He saw a leg hanging out and went for it. Cheating might be a bit strong – as it was for Jamie Walker – but it was cynical and a bit daft as he could have been banned for the Rangers game.

EUAN McLEAN: It was only two weeks ago his captain branded Walker a cheat after a similar incident. Both anticipated contact and instinct took them down but Scott Brown’s words were always going to get thrown back the moment something like this happened. Can’t have it both ways.

... interestingly enough, Miller didn't go down under a clear challenge that would have seen us get a penalty (aside from the one not given for the foul on Halliday) (or at least a free kick in a dangerous area). His bravery in trying to play on was not rewarded.

Alan McLaren counted 13 fouls by Scott McDonald, as well as half a dozen drawn by him (that never were) on Saturday. He said that this is rather normal behaviour by a veteran striker, who does it rather cleverly, but a good ref would have spotted it and reacted. Not least when he was complaining any decision that went against him. So yes, some people very much play for a decision rather than attempting to play football.

Anyway, if it is "instinct" that lets you go down to gain an advantage for your team without actually being fouled, it is cheating. In days gone by the British game was renowned for being honest and quite a few players are. But it has also to be said that over at the Scumhut they do have created an art of cheating (i.e. drawing fouls etc.) that is second to none. Larsson, Sutton, Petrov, O'Gheady et al, there is a good tradition ...

Cheat is a strong word. Griffiths was trying to gain an advantage. If you want to call that cheating, then it’s cheating. The difference between that incident and the Jamie Walker one is that the Celtic player was caught and punished with a booking.

Maybe i'm simply not as smart as these journos but i'm not grasping the 'difference" here.

What makes it different is that Griffiths was booked at the time?

Why does Walker get a two game suspension for the same offence and he only gets a yellow card?

It's Walkers fault he wasn't booked at the time for doing exactly the same thing Griffiths did and that makes it a more severe offence meriting a 2 game suspension instead of just the yellow card Griffiths gets???

Really??? I'm not getting it.

Had Griffiths not been booked for it, he would have received a two match suspension too (no laughing at the back). Something handled within the game can (apparently) not be taken up later on. In essence, the ref did the Racist a favour in booking him, which is rather ridiculous. If anything, the penalty given should be the same as in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe i'm simply not as smart as these journos but i'm not grasping the 'difference" here.

What makes it different is that Griffiths was booked at the time?

Why does Walker get a two game suspension for the same offence and he only gets a yellow card?

It's Walkers fault he wasn't booked at the time for doing exactly the same thing Griffiths did and that makes it a more severe offence meriting a 2 game suspension instead of just the yellow card Griffiths gets???

Really??? I'm not getting it.

He won a penalty that might affect the outcome of the league.

That's why it's a ban.

Diving is diving. Shouldn't matter where on the pitch bit happens or the affect it may have on league placings.

And my point is it shouldn't be punished any more harshly simply because it was decided at later time that it was a dive.