Robbie Crawford Contract Terminated

I honestly forgot he still played for us. 23 year olds still on our books with no future is something we need to stop doing with such prevalence.

Agreed, however their contracts are on much reduced rates these days, which allows us a little more time at fairly minor expense to see whether they can make the step up or not.

We have to remember that someone playing under McCoist would be a very different player to one playing under Warburton - and the same player can look vastly different under different managers.

Why did we not keep him until 1 September to see if anyone came in for him so we can get a development fee?

As i understand it, as we have released him without offering him a contract, if he goes and signs for Hearts tomorrow, we get nothing? Several years developing him thrown away for the sake of working the system like everyone else.

If I am wrong then fair enough, but these threads about development fees crop up regularly and I think that is how it works?

IIRC, he was contracted until next summer so with no-one interested apparently, we've taken the decision to release him and save on those costs.

He may well sign for a Championship/League One club and I'm not sure if we'll be due anything if he does.

IIRC the way that the development fee works is that you have to offer them a contract on at least the same terms as the expiring contract (if it is expiring), in order to be eligible for a development fee.

The reality here is that there is absolutely no way that any club would have taken Crawford on if they were going to have to pay a development fee, no disrespect to the lad. And with one year left on his contract there is also no doubt that he would have simply gone out on loan to a club for a year then been released at the end of his current contract.

So, as Frankie says, I think this is as close to a win-win as you can get in this situation - the lad gets to join another club without the potential burden of them paying a development fee, which in essence means nobody would sign him - whilst the club get his wages off the books and save on a year's worth of salary and NI.

Edited by craig

I imagine Murdoch will be next for the off.

For me Murdoch had speed issues. He was very slow and for central midfield speed is really a must these days. He had plenty of technical ability but if you can't run at a reasonable speed then all the technical ability in the world will not help you in leagues where almost everyone has a technical ability and speed.