Can Biobanding level playing field for Scottish youth?

Some of Scotland's top clubs are experimenting with a different approach to youth football in an attempt to develop better technical players. Biobanding involves bracketing young players according to their stage of physical development instead of the traditional age-based categories.

More: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37054941

When I first saw the heading something about fat people came to mind but once reading it decided the concept does make good sense. Where's the challenge for say a good ten stone 12 year old being pitched in against a six stone 12 year old who may be every bit as good or even better but can't compete simply because he is a late developer in that age group.

It may even drive him to give up the game while the bigger one who isn't so good to start with also never develops any further because it was all so easy for him early on then he too becomes discouraged when finally ending up in amongst players his own size and doesn't know how to cope with it.

Rangers were pioneers in Scotland for this, they've been biobanding for a while now.

They did it in various guises previously, allowing certain players "play up" so long as they were physically capable as well as technically.

Rangers were pioneers in Scotland for this, they've been biobanding for a while now.

They did it in various guises previously, allowing certain players "play up" so long as they were physically capable as well as technically.

I think the factor you describe has always been around to some extent. Even when I was at school anyone who was big enough and good enough could play for older teams but I don't recall anyone who was older but smaller being allowed to play in a younger age group that matched their size, "playing down" which I presume this would also cover.

I think the factor you describe has always been around to some extent. Even when I was at school anyone who was big enough and good enough could play for older teams but I don't recall anyone who was older but smaller being allowed to play in a younger age group that matched their size, "playing down" which I presume this would also cover.

yes, playing down is fairly new. RFC were still one of the first to introduce bio-banding, at least in Scotland. Mulholland has a number of very exciting initiatives on the go at the Academy.