Premier League 16/17

Arsenal will finish top 4 IMO. Difficult to do as it is for all the teams with a stronger Utd, re-invigorated Chelsea probably, City with Pep despite looking rusty yesterday and then Liverpool and Spurs thrown into the mix, though I'm not that convinced by Spurs to be honest.

Losing that game is tough but Arsenal were without 3 or 4 of their most influential players.

Not sure why you would "fear" for Arsenal though - those sound like words for relegation candidates or teams in financial struggle, neither of which will apply to Arsenal.

I like Klopp (not so much his antics) but Liverpool weren't even in that game in the 1st half, and that was very much an under-strength Arsenal. And from a very commanding lead they almost transpired to drop 2 points.

I didn't see much of the 2nd half to be fair but in the 1st half both Holding and Chambers did just fine.

They are not influential anymore though. Do you think Ozil would have made a difference? He is a cardboard cut out. You know I like the Arsenal and Wenger but it has gone stale there. As for 'fear' I mean their top 4 status.

Aside - Just watched Chelsea v West Ham...bastards, I had 1-1 bet on .:D But I like the look of Conte, he is finally a Chelsea manager in his own right they are going to be entertaining this season.

They are not influential anymore though. Do you think Ozil would have made a difference? He is a cardboard cut out. You know I like the Arsenal and Wenger but it has gone stale there. As for 'fear' I mean their top 4 status.

Aside - Just watched Chelsea v West Ham...bastards, I had 1-1 bet on .:D But I like the look of Conte, he is finally a Chelsea manager in his own right they are going to be entertaining this season.

Of course they are influential. Are you saying Ozil would be less influential than Walcott or Iwobi ? Did Ozil not have the most assists in the league last year ? Are you saying that Giroud wouldn't be influential given he is their main striker and had he played it would have allowed Sanchez to play his natural position, starting from deeper ? Are you saying that playing a 20 yr old instead of Koscielny doesn't weaken Arsenal ? Come on Gribz, at least be reasonable.

Chelsea will do well this year - Conte is a very good manager and he has a very good squad of players - they just needed someone that would get the best out of them. Irons unlucky not to come away with a draw though.

Of course they are influential. Are you saying Ozil would be less influential than Walcott or Iwobi ? Did Ozil not have the most assists in the league last year ? Are you saying that Giroud wouldn't be influential given he is their main striker and had he played it would have allowed Sanchez to play his natural position, starting from deeper ? Are you saying that playing a 20 yr old instead of Koscielny doesn't weaken Arsenal ? Come on Gribz, at least be reasonable.

Chelsea will do well this year - Conte is a very good manager and he has a very good squad of players - they just needed someone that would get the best out of them. Irons unlucky not to come away with a draw though.

I have to say they wouldn't have Craig. Arsenal should never be in that situation anyway but as I said the team and club is stale. Something isn't right. Ozil looks like he doesn't want to be there and I cant see how he would have made a difference. Giroud isn't a top class striker. I don't like Mourinho but he is beginning to get it right about Wenger.

They cant even sign this defender Mustafi, its getting embarrassing what they do in the transfer market.

Baggies champs? That would do nicely.

I see John Terry played last night. Thought he was finished. Never a Beckenbauer but if you like your centre halves to defend, captain the team and score a goal or two Terry's the benchmark.

I have to say they wouldn't have Craig. Arsenal should never be in that situation anyway but as I said the team and club is stale. Something isn't right. Ozil looks like he doesn't want to be there and I cant see how he would have made a difference. Giroud isn't a top class striker. I don't like Mourinho but he is beginning to get it right about Wenger.

They cant even sign this defender Mustafi, its getting embarrassing what they do in the transfer market.

I agree they shouldn't be in that state - but to suggest that those 4 wouldn't have had an influence on the game is stretching things - your best centre half not playing and having to use a rookie 20 yr old in his place, your most creative player not playing, your most influential striker not playing - I think it is a severe stretch to say they weren't missed in that starting line up.

Ozil may look like he doesn't want to be there but he still had most EPL assists last season - and how can you say he doesn't look like he doesn't want to be there when he hasn't played a pre-season game yet? I never said Giroud is a top class striker, but to say he wouldn't have had an influence on that Arsenal team on Sunday is confusing, especially when they had to use Sanchez in that role, a role that he isn't suited to.

So I agree that the squad isn't even close to where it needs to be - but to use that as some reason to say that Koscielny, Ozil and Giroud weren't missed on Sunday just makes little sense to me.

Wenger is too stubborn - not only that, but in speaking to a work colleague yesterday who is an Arsenal fan - I think some of Wenger's problem is also that he was manager when they moved stadiums and he took on a "business" approach to management - by that I mean that he seems to get concerned about the money and business aspect of the Club. A manager should be going to his Board and saying "I want this player and that player" and leave the finances to the Board to determine if they can make it happen. But I get the impression that Wenger looks for "value for money" rather than simply looking to strengthen the team and squad.

Koscielny, Ozil and Giroud would have made a difference but over the season will they make enough of a difference?

That's my point Scott - I think it is unreasonable to suggest that they wouldn't have made a difference on Sunday.

As an Arsenal fan, the only one I would put money on making a difference this season would be Koscielny - I actually think he is under-rated.

Ozil does look like he doesn't want to be there and I also have doubts about his work ethic - but last season he DID have the most assists in the league (I think) so the potential to be influential is there.

Giroud blows hot and cold. Giroud isn't the problem, Wenger's system of playing him up front on his own is the problem. Not only that but Arsenal have zero striking options aside from him, unless you consider Walcott a striker :shock:

Looking through the squad and a potential starting XI....

Cech - still quality, one of the best in the league still. No need to replace.

Bellerin - consistent, pacy, gets forward, decent at the back. No need to replace.

Koscielny - as said, no need to replace

Mertesacker/Chambers/Holding - not good enough - need at least one more CB

Monreal - didn't like him initially but think he has actually proved me wrong. Decent defender and no need to replace.

Elneny - Not convinced by him. Not good enough IMO. Xhaka should replace

Coquelin - does the dirty work well but wasn't as good last season as season before - deserves a chance, but could probably be doing with an upgrade. Wilshere, when fit, could be his replacement.

Iwobi - good player, direct. but also have Ozil and Cazorla that can play on the left side so Iwobi becomes decent cover, or play him on the other side in place of Walcott.

Sanchez - nothing needs said. Would get in most teams in the world

Walcott - Ummmm.... think I would prefer Ox to him. Could play with Sanchez one side and Iwobi the other whilst Ox and Walcott are back-up. Good enough back up ? Probably not.

Giroud - as said, hot and cold. But if Arsenal are relying on one solitary striker to propel them to the league they are deluded. And if Walcott is his back-up then Wenger is even more deluded.

And you obviously have Ozil, Cazorla who can come into that team

Arsenal just don't have the strength in depth that City, Chelsea have - and Utd look like getting there too now. As an example.... Arsenal's striking options are Giroud and..... well, that's pretty much it. Liverpool.... have Sturridge, Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Ings, Benteke, Balotell.....

Wenger needs to open the wallet and spend on at least one CB, at least one striker and could probably be doing with a better "destroyer" type in midfield too.

We just don't have the strength in depth for a full season.

I think this season sees City, Chelsea and Utd compete for the title whilst Arsenal will have to fight it out for 4th with Liverpool and Spurs (and probably a dark horse too - I don't see Leicester being nearly as effective this season).

As an Arsenal fan it is sad to see that the Club have built a terrific stadium, have paid that off, have managed the squad very well financially, for the most part balancing the books, purchasing very decent young players - but still no closer to winning the league... and pretty much all because Wenger is too stubborn to admit what everyone else sees - that at least one CB is needed and at least one prolific striker is needed - get the money out and buy Benzema or Morata.

What would Gunners give for a Ray Parlour? Wenger probably wouldn't pick him. Or Ray Kennedy.

Ray Parlour isn't what Arsenal need though - they have enough grit in midfield with Coquelin.

I would say "what would Arsenal give for a Thierry Henry, Ian Wright or Tony Adams, heck even Martin Keown" :thup:

Edited by craig