Kenny Miller v Hamilton - Saint or Sinner?

Regardless of whether you agree or not it was well worth the read. And nice to see someone go to some length to actually try to properly prove or disprove someone's performance rather than the usual "he was pish" or "I don't like him as a player so by default he must have been pish" (Not saying you TB :D - just generally).

My initial player ratings gave Miller a 3. I felt he was completely anonymous and did virtually nothing in the game. I'm not changing my rating at all on him as I still feel he didn't influence the game at all. However, when you look at SOME (not all... some of the OP's suggestions just wouldn't have happened regardless) of the still images you can see that Miller did indeed manage to get himself into some pretty decent positions and could have scored a goal or two.

But when you look at some of the situations you can hardly fault the players - the 2nd minute one... the OP says Halliday has 4 players on him.... well, for a start, one of those 4 players was 5 yards behind him and never getting near him before his shot is released - this does little to strengthen the OP's case as it makes him look like he is trying diligently to make Miller look better than most felt he was and also ignores that only 1 of the 4 was actually in the way of the shot itself i.e. blocking part of the goal. That same situation.... Very few players would have slipped that ball into Miller - Halliday had a shot on goal and he took it - and, to be fair, only a fine save from the keeper prevented us taking the lead.

Hello everyone.

Thanks for the warm welcome TB :throwpc:

Few things on why I chose to voice my opinion on Miller

-I did not start out with the intent to prove or disprove that he was productive in the match. I wanted to simply re-watch the match, with a focus on his every movement in the limited view that I had (naked, in my bed, with my laptop on my lap. What, you dont watch Gers games that way?).

-I know in person you can see some things you cannot see via the computer, but I DIDNT see anything out of the norm from Miller.. He seemed to be playing like he always does, but something else felt weird about the match that I havent put my finger on yet. Maybe Accies had the perfect plan? Maybe Rangers were trying too hard? Maybe it was just a bad day.

-TB, Im concerned that you would eat soup whilst browsing the internet. It seems to be a situation that can only at some point end in a new screen or keyboard.

-The difference to our attacking intent was as clear as day when we scored within a couple of minutes of him going off, from a pass into an area that Miller never inhabits despite supposedly being a central striker

While I do agree the team changed for the better once the subs came in, I will disagree that it was because Miller came off. Miller is not a central striker in Warbs' 4-3-3.. We dont have a central striker per say. Yes on that play, Miller might have been back a few yards trying to progress the play up to the box instead of looking for a longer, open run into an area, but that type of play is not the norm in Warbs' system. Was it effective? Yes. Would I like to see it more often? Yes.

-It is yet more proof that you can do whatever the hell you like with statistics to prove a point, and yet be so far away from what actually happened as to be embarrassing.

Using facts, opinions of how the play could have developed differently, and screen shots are not using statistics. The statistics I DID USE, didnt make my case or disprove it. As I was tracking his match I thought it would be worthy to the article to track his touches, passes, and other items. I bet I could go thru a game from last season that he did brilliantly and pull up similar if not exact numbers, and even similar screen shots.

-Bluedell Using stats don't show Miller's lack of pace and movement and the fact that things generally slowed down when got the ball.

Once again. I didnt use stats. Yes things did slow down, and his passing was horizontal at times, and backwards at times.

-Ser Selmy Kenny Miller is almost 37. I sincerely hope his involvement this season will be very limited.

I hope his involvement is whatever Warbs thinks is appropriate, as he sees him day to day and doesnt watch the matches from a chair at ibrox or at home and then makes an assessment of him. If I am correct, Warbs is there every day at practice and can see how Miller performs day to day against all these other whippersnappers on the team.

-Ser Selmy I do find the analysis rather odd. The general gist of it seems to be Miller was often standing in space, which doesn't really mean anything.

You didnt get my glass of gist. You picked up the wrong one to have a swig. None of the screenshots I took, or text I wrote talked about Miller standing anywhere (except the Tav freekick where Miller was standing in the proper spot but didnt give much effort to jump at all). Miller was runnning/chasing pensioners check/jogging to open positions like he has done his whole career. And I think he has done quite well in that aspect over his 67 years playing footie.

I do appreciate the comments.. Who knows, I may be completely off my rocker (crazy but not insane)! I didnt write this article because it presented an easy topic to put online, I wrote it because it felt like something that needed to be done for myself, and since I went and did it, why not share it so I can get blasted on the internet.

I hope everyone gets my sense of humor and sarcasm.

Thanks to Frankie for posting the article. I hope to do something next game too. So prepare the firebombs.

Disclaimer : The article presented mere facts, which forged an opinion, and the opinion was then written around the facts. Opinions are not to be taken seriously as we all have them, and we all constantly change them.

I've been on holiday today so not had a chance to discuss Saturday's match in detail but the reason for publishing this was because, like most folk, I thought Miller was very poor on Saturday and I was surprised to see it wasn't always entirely Miller's fault as he wasn't utilised effectively enough at times. As such, it did show that we can be subjective in our opinions to a degree before considering the bigger picture.

In saying that, I'm sure a few of us could go through the game and provide stills where Miller's runs were poor/non-existent. In general, I think the article was very interesting and it's good to see people make in-depth cases for their opinions rather than the gratuitously negative stuff we do read from time to time.

I've been on holiday today so not had a chance to discuss Saturday's match in detail but the reason for publishing this was because, like most folk, I thought Miller was very poor on Saturday and I was surprised to see it wasn't always entirely Miller's fault as he wasn't utilised effectively enough at times. As such, it did show that we can be subjective in our opinions to a degree before considering the bigger picture.

In saying that, I'm sure a few of us could go through the game and provide stills where Miller's runs were poor/non-existent. In general, I think the article was very interesting and it's good to see people make in-depth cases for their opinions rather than the gratuitously negative stuff we do read from time to time.

Agreed! If you have some arguments or want to point something out, provide some concrete evidence, if possible. I dont see anyone doing that kind of work, so I thought it was worth bringing to the table.

It is refreshing to have things from a different angle as in this case.

On Saturday I was hoping that Waghorn would have gone off as IMO he was running about like a headless chicken most of the game and guess what he goes and scores didn't he,so no matter how you see things the game is quite unpredictable at times.

I am not fond of statistics but analytical posts like this are quite interesting so thanks to the new guy:tu:

Hello everyone.

Thanks for the warm welcome TB :throwpc:

Few things on why I chose to voice my opinion on Miller

-I did not start out with the intent to prove or disprove that he was productive in the match. I wanted to simply re-watch the match, with a focus on his every movement in the limited view that I had (naked, in my bed, with my laptop on my lap. What, you dont watch Gers games that way?).

-I know in person you can see some things you cannot see via the computer, but I DIDNT see anything out of the norm from Miller.. He seemed to be playing like he always does, but something else felt weird about the match that I havent put my finger on yet. Maybe Accies had the perfect plan? Maybe Rangers were trying too hard? Maybe it was just a bad day.

-TB, Im concerned that you would eat soup whilst browsing the internet. It seems to be a situation that can only at some point end in a new screen or keyboard.

-The difference to our attacking intent was as clear as day when we scored within a couple of minutes of him going off, from a pass into an area that Miller never inhabits despite supposedly being a central striker

While I do agree the team changed for the better once the subs came in, I will disagree that it was because Miller came off. Miller is not a central striker in Warbs' 4-3-3.. We dont have a central striker per say. Yes on that play, Miller might have been back a few yards trying to progress the play up to the box instead of looking for a longer, open run into an area, but that type of play is not the norm in Warbs' system. Was it effective? Yes. Would I like to see it more often? Yes.

-It is yet more proof that you can do whatever the hell you like with statistics to prove a point, and yet be so far away from what actually happened as to be embarrassing.

Using facts, opinions of how the play could have developed differently, and screen shots are not using statistics. The statistics I DID USE, didnt make my case or disprove it. As I was tracking his match I thought it would be worthy to the article to track his touches, passes, and other items. I bet I could go thru a game from last season that he did brilliantly and pull up similar if not exact numbers, and even similar screen shots.

-Bluedell Using stats don't show Miller's lack of pace and movement and the fact that things generally slowed down when got the ball.

Once again. I didnt use stats. Yes things did slow down, and his passing was horizontal at times, and backwards at times.

-Ser Selmy Kenny Miller is almost 37. I sincerely hope his involvement this season will be very limited.

I hope his involvement is whatever Warbs thinks is appropriate, as he sees him day to day and doesnt watch the matches from a chair at ibrox or at home and then makes an assessment of him. If I am correct, Warbs is there every day at practice and can see how Miller performs day to day against all these other whippersnappers on the team.

-Ser Selmy I do find the analysis rather odd. The general gist of it seems to be Miller was often standing in space, which doesn't really mean anything.

You didnt get my glass of gist. You picked up the wrong one to have a swig. None of the screenshots I took, or text I wrote talked about Miller standing anywhere (except the Tav freekick where Miller was standing in the proper spot but didnt give much effort to jump at all). Miller was runnning/chasing pensioners check/jogging to open positions like he has done his whole career. And I think he has done quite well in that aspect over his 67 years playing footie.

I do appreciate the comments.. Who knows, I may be completely off my rocker (crazy but not insane)! I didnt write this article because it presented an easy topic to put online, I wrote it because it felt like something that needed to be done for myself, and since I went and did it, why not share it so I can get blasted on the internet.

I hope everyone gets my sense of humor and sarcasm.

Thanks to Frankie for posting the article. I hope to do something next game too. So prepare the firebombs.

Disclaimer : The article presented mere facts, which forged an opinion, and the opinion was then written around the facts. Opinions are not to be taken seriously as we all have them, and we all constantly change them.

Driggs bud, thank you for the fine analysis. Whether people agree with you or not the reality is I, for one, appreciate the time and effort spent in looking at the performance - not the most pleasant of tasks when considering that you are looking at players who are generally considered to have had a bad game - nobody really wants to watch that.....

I do agree with some of your analysis, but disagree with others.

From the luxury of my living room 3,500 miles away from Ibrox I would have hooked Miller at half time, as I felt he was anonymous. What you show is that it wasn't ALL his own fault.

I enjoyed the read and look forward to the next instalment :thup:

Thanks for the analysis Driggs and Welcome to the site. I often wonder if people actually watch the same game. I think people in general see what they want to see. If Tannoch sees Miller then his hair is already standing on end.

Gunslinger was the same with Vuckic and I am slowly starting to only see the bad things Kiernan does.

What I will say is that on a few occasions on Saturday when a player hit the bye-line there was totally nobody in the box to pass it to. That was not only down to Miller as O'Halloran hit the bye-line a few times just to see nobody in the middle. O'Halloran is often accused of having a bad final pass but if there is nobody in the middle then he has to thread a ball through 5 or 6 defenders to try and hit a lone Ranger( excuse the pun).

I thought Barton had a good game except for a few stray passes but some people were saying he played poorly. We all seem to see games differently. The goal certainly came from his tenacity in winning the ball for Forrester to cross.

Miller may have been anonymous but the defending is now a class higher than we have been used to and Miller had a number of defenders around him. Well the defending is a class higher unless you are Rob Kieran.:devil:

Unfortunately for Kiernan he still has to do a lot of covering for Tavernier,who although had a better game,still tends to wander and unlike Wallace has no right winger/midfield cover tracking back,so I think comments on him are quite harsh.

Having seen Hodson I think he is a better defensive option.