Dave King: Rangers will hold money in reserve until January

That article is essentially Sky's opinion on the interview already linked in the game thread. There is perhaps not a negative spin on it, but let's say a conservative one. For if you actually look at the quote:

"I think it's still early days. Mark and Frank and Davie have done a lot of work, we've brought in a lot of players, we have obviously increased our investment in wages very, very considerably," King said on Sky Sports. "It's now a question of getting them to settle in.

Today was the first chance of playing together in a competitive environment, but we hope the investment we have made will see us in good stead over the course of the season. "I think we haven't finished doing business yet and given the fact we are in the Premier League, it's a more competitive league, I think we'll keep more in reserve for January as well and just look at where we think we are league wise at that point in time.

All he is saying that a) we've brought in 9 players and see how they progress, b) that we haven't finished our business yet, and c) that we have enough in reserve for January too, if required.

What is the fuzz then?

BTW, I have just watched Germany vs South Korea at the Olympics (all u23s) and was quite impressed by the Asians (fast and skillfull as it can get) and half a handful of German players, with Serge Gnabry scoring a hat trick for the latter.

Edited by der Berliner

We have to be realistic, if the money isn't there, it isn't there.

IMO a realistic ambition has to secure second comfortably hopefully playing the fast flowing entertaining football that we've seen - mostly since MW took over.

garbage like yesterday however against the likes of hamilton will in no way be tolerated game after game.

the sight of an experienced player gesticulating to our keeper he doesn't want the ball and incapable of playing simple 10 yard passes is unacceptable.

It's difficult because getting into financial trouble is obviously the last thing we want to do, but signing players for peanuts from the lower leagues in England will only get us so far.

It's difficult because getting into financial trouble is obviously the last thing we want to do, but signing players for peanuts from the lower leagues in England will only get us so far.

And that, in a nutshell, is the conundrum we need to somehow either address or accept.

We have to hope these players are successful with us and we can sell them back to England or elsewhere at profit to us.

They get replaced and so the process begins again.....

There is no money in Scottish football. We have to accept that.

The yahoos are doing exactly the same as we are and have been doing this over the past few years. The downside is your team can get weakened to such an extent you get beaten home & away in the EL by a team 4th in the Norwegian league

Firstly I find the commentary on Kingco's investment as inaccurate. How much have they invested, I think it's over 10 million so far and that's in about a year and a half. The 30 million was always meant as an amount over about five years, and so probably on track.

I think people mistake it as how much to spend on transfer fees but with where Scottish football is at the moment with respect to both the OF clubs, large transfer fees are just not value for money and too much risk as even breaking the bank for us, means we are still going for a very mediocre player rather than a superstar like Ronald de Boer. His level of player now costs way over our annual turnover, and even a few Bosmans at that level would eat up a fantastic proportion of our income in wages.

I think we still need to be able to spend up to about £2m on a fee for the right player to complete the team, who is nearing his peak and will have sell on value. £1m should be the starting point of a player on 10-20 grand a week with a year or two left on his contract - which then gets inflated if he's in demand.

People are obviously right when they say the club have no money - it's simple economics. Our turnover is still relatively low and I expect we're still making a loss year on year. The board are trying to change that, and a couple of years in the top tier (and the increase in income from the top tier due to us being there) combined with some European income will make a big difference. And of course getting a normal level of income from merchandising would go a long way at the moment.

So, we really don't have money to spend, BUT Kingco DO have money to spend, should they think it is a good and safe investment of their personal wealth. Most guys don't get rich by throwing money around too easily - of course Murray did, but the same tactics made him a lot poorer again, even if he's still pretty comfortable, due to business rewarding the savvy and ruthless. His hard and fast tactics also led to our recent debilitated state.