Kris Boyd: Title will be decided by Martyn Waghorn and Leigh Griffiths dual

IT’S been billed as Brendan Rodgers versus Mark Warburton.

Some reckon it’ll come down to Scott Brown against Joey Barton.

Me? I say this season’s Premiership title will be decided by Leigh Griffiths and Martyn Waghorn.

As a striker, maybe it’s inevitable that I see the Celtic and Rangers frontmen as the most important of all.

But the destiny of the 2016/17 season WILL come down to which one of them bags the most goals.

Griff hit 40 last season as Celts won a fifth straight title. I’ve always rated him and like the way he runs in behind defences and causes problems.

Waghorn fired 28 in his first season at Ibrox — despite missing three months of it — and Gers will be praying the hamstring injury he suffered against Hamilton yesterday isn’t too serious.

Waghorn’s prolific form came in the Championship, but he’ll carry just as much of a threat in the top flight.

The goals of Griffiths and Waghorn will be vital in the title fight.

And, yes, I DO believe it’ll be a title fight between Celtic and Rangers.

I had to laugh at big John Hartson in SunSport yesterday when he claimed Gers would finish fourth.

He loves noising people up but he’s taken that one too far.

Celts and Rangers will be first and second or vice versa. I genuinely believe it’ll go down to the wire.

That’s why I think the goalscorers are so important.

They can turn a draw into a win at awkward venues like Pittodrie, Tynecastle or McDiarmid Park.

They can make all the difference in the four Old Firm derbies which, of course, will go a long way to deciding which team wins the title.

No disrespect to Aberdeen or Hearts.

Derek McInnes has built a fantastic squad up north.

Jonny Hayes and Niall McGinn are the heartbeat of his team and create so many chances for Adam Rooney.

Hayes was crocked in midweek but that could be a blessing in disguise if it keeps him away from English clubs until the window shuts.

The Dons are a quality side but I don’t see them going all the way with Celts and Gers.

With the money Gers have spent — and the money Celts are likely to spend — I expect them to finish clear of Aberdeen.

Moussa Dembele will be a good signing for Celts. I watched him at Fulham and he’s a promising striker.

The late winner against Astana on Wednesday night will boost his confidence, too.

But I’ll be interested to see how Rodgers — who prefers a 4-3-3 system — manages to get Dembele and Griffiths into the same side.

Griffiths is best through the middle with his pace and finishing ability, but Frenchman Dembele also prefers a central role.

Behind them, Brown will again be a crucial figure — even if he doesn’t have the same view of the title outcome as my old pal Kenny Miller.

For the last five or six years, Brown has been the driving force behind the Hoops’ glories.

If Celtic have been struggling, he’s lifted them. He has dragged team-mates along with him.

But, like everyone else, he’s not getting any younger and the box-to-box Brown has had to change his game.

When we played Celts last season, I noticed he was sitting off the play a bit and controlling things from deep.

That’s a role which Barton will naturally fill for Rangers and it’ll be fascinating to see how they get on in the derbies.

Warburton has signed well. He needed experience to help out Miller and captain Lee Wallace on the pitch and in the dressing room.

Niko Kranjcar is a good a player and, having played against Clint Hill when I was at Middlesbrough, I know he’s a difficult opponent.

Warburton will need their experience this season for trips to Celtic Park, Pittodrie and Tynecastle.

There are no easy games this term and that’s why he needed more old heads and quality in the team.

It’s also why he’ll rely so heavily on Waghorn to bag 20 goals again this term.

Both teams will drop points here and there — but I still expect them to pull away from the pack as the season goes on. Aberdeen and Hearts will fight it out for third and fourth place and the rest, including Kilmarnock, will battle for the last two places in the top six.

Scottish football has missed the Old Firm game. Any country in the world would have missed it.

We are talking about the two biggest organisations in sport in this country.

I’m delighted they’re back together and I think everyone else is, too.

It’s a chance to showcase how good Scottish football can be. An opportunity to display to the rest of the world what our game is all about.

We want to show that we have a decent league and the two of them fighting for the title again will bring out the best in everyone.

I’m sure it’ll bring out the best in the likes of Barrie McKay and Kieran Tierney.

When I was at Ibrox second time round, McKay had talent but just couldn’t put it all together and get into the team. He’s done that now all right.

Tierney has been superb for Celtic, getting forward and created numerous opportunities for the frontmen.

The striker who takes most of the chances these guys create will be the one lifting the silverware at the end of a scintillating season.

EVERYONE recalls myself and James McFadden being subbed as Scotland scraped a win over Liechtenstein.

Not too many folk saw us together on the touchline when Killie’s Under-17s were taking on Motherwell’s kids.

Faddy was a one-off, a great individual player — but he’s just as passionate about improving young players.

It didn’t surprise me one bit when Mark McGhee promoted him to No2 — and it’ll be a shrewd move.

He’ll have the respect of the dressing room, while the kids are certain to look up to him.

Me? I hope to have my Pro Licence finished by the end of the year — but there are goals left in me yet.

CHRISTMAS 2005 and I’d just left Kilmarnock to start my first spell at Rangers.

One of the first things that struck me at Murray Park was the finishing prowess of a teenage Ross McCormack.

Fast forward just over a decade and Ross — now 29 — is the most expensive Scot in history.

He sealed his £14million move from Fulham to Aston Villa in midweek and no one deserves the switch more.

Too many players sit tight at Rangers, Celtic and other big clubs and are happy to get a game here or there.

But Ross, above, had the courage to leave and kick-start his career at Motherwell before heading south.

He hit the goal trail for Cardiff, Leeds and Fulham — bagging 20 for the last four or five years.

I’m not surprised he’s got a huge move. Even at £14m, this will be a good bit of business for Villa.

MOST players moan about aching legs during pre-season but it’s my ARMS that are killing me.

Rugby Park gaffer Lee Clark has made big changes behind the scenes at Killie over the summer — including new fitness programmes.

Our gym programmes now focus on the individual player rather than everyone doing the same thing. It makes sense.

The younger, lighter lads have their own strength and conditioning work and different weights to the rest of us.

I have my own programme and my arms are aching after working hard in the gym with our new fitness coach.

Miles Addison also has a special gym programme as he doesn’t train as much as the rest of us.

The big man lifts the entire building up and down while the rest of us just wait outside...

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/columnists/7221779/Kris-Boyd-Title-will-be-decided-by-Martyn-Waghorn-and-Leigh-Griffiths-dual.html

The Scum have a knack for finding the odd 20+ goalscorer every now and then. The Racist is as despicable a chap as they ever had and you cant help but wishing him the worst for this campaign.

Edited by der Berliner