Ray Wilkins is on a residential rehabilitation course at the Priory

I doubt there is much thinking going on when anyone is in that much of the grip of any addiction, just the need to feed that addiction takes over. Psychology of addiction has bemused humanity since addiction was recognised in many forms. I'm certainly not the font of all knowledge regarding it. What i can say is that i am certain if he wasn't in the grip of addiction, his behaviour would almost certainly be different, addiction attacks people in many many different forms, there is not one size fits all approach, contrary to fashionable belief. If that were the case he would already be well imho, as he has had the best "fashionable" treatment money can buy.

Its a downward spiral. Anyway, i wish him well, that all anyone can really do and just hope he comes round.

Edited by cooponthewing

Got off very lightly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36885984

Former England star Ray Wilkins sentenced for drink-driving

Ray Wilkins was seen striking a kerb and drinking alcohol from a bottle while driving

Former England footballer Ray Wilkins has been given a 10-week suspended jail sentence for drinking and driving.

Wilkins, who pleaded guilty, was seen in his Mercedes in the middle of a bus lane on the A4 in London on 1 July.

Uxbridge Magistrates' Court heard he also struck a kerb and was seen drinking alcohol from a bottle while driving, before attempting a U-turn.

Wilkins, 59, who told the court he was an alcoholic, was nearly three times over the legal limit.

'Eyes glazed'

The court was told a passer-by took his keys from the car to prevent an accident from happening.

A police car was flagged down and the officer noticed Wilkins' eyes were "glazed, he was unsteady on his feet and there was a smell of alcohol coming from him".

Ray "Butch" Wilkins was capped 84 times by England

Wilkins, of Cobham, Surrey, is currently undergoing a residential rehabilitation course at the Priory Hospital in Woking, the court heard.

The former Chelsea and Manchester United star also has two previous convictions for drinking and driving.

'I am an addict'

His lawyer Sarah-Kate McIntyre said her client was "ashamed and embarrassed" to be in the dock.

Wilkins told District Judge Tim Boswell he recognised that "abstinence is the only way I can control this situation".

Sentencing the former footballer, the judge said he appreciated that Wilkins had a "genuine desire to change".

In addition to the suspended sentence, he gave Wilkins a four-year driving ban and ordered him to perform 140 hours of community service.

Outside court, Wilkins said: "I will be judged on the crime I have committed and that is 100% (right).

"I only ask I will not be judged on the alcohol problem I have. I am an addict."

Wilkins played 84 times for England including at the 1986 Mexico World Cup.

Edited by BEARGER