[FT] Rangers 2 (McKay 29; Waghorn 74) - 0 Annan Athletic

I could put my house on Tav never playing in midfield for us mate. We play 3 in the middle - if Tav was ever going to play in midfield for a team it would be as part of a midfield 4.

Finally, someone said it! We forget that we don't actually play a Right-Midfielder, so moving Tavernier into 'midfield' would mean playing him as a Right-Winger; which is not as easy/simple as Whittaker moving from RB to RM.

Am I interpretating this wrong?,I never intimated that Tav should play in midfield!

Ha, that what happens when you read three message boards at the same time. ;)

BTW, re the one who almost felt sick, Hodson offers us the option to play Tav further up the field. No more, no less. IMHO, Tav is a classic example of a modern-day wingback, who IMHO is more of a winger (60) than a fullback (40). And it is good to have that option, should our right-sided midfield fell victim to suspension and injury.

BTW Mk. II, Fraser Aird will return in October and (after a break) might be back-up for Tav (since he played righ-back for Vancouver), with Hodson being back-up for either side of defence. I wrote "might", since I wouldn't be surprised if Aird stays beyond the Great Pool for good.

It was me who mentioned Tav in midfield although it was more a glib reference to the old discussion we had on Whittaker.

However, it does seem logical that a wing back who can't defend well, may be better as a winger. The fact we don't have wingers in our system, doesn't change that logic.

I also mentioned that Whittaker seemed to be coached well and worked hard on his defensive skills and positioning, which is something Tav could possibly do also.

Our manager talks a good game with his references to "pitch geography" etc, but our defence often doesn't seem to be paying attention in class...

Some moving pictures, provided by Russian Rangers (scroll down, 17.17 mins)

http://rangersfc.org/index.php?dn=news&to=art&id=1917

Learning by reading ;)

"Рейнджерс" 2:0 "Аннан Атлетик"

"Рейнджерс": Джилкс, Ходсон, Хилл, Кирнан, Уоллес, Холлидэй, Уиндасс (Форрестер' 60), Кранчар (Бартон' 60), О'Халлоран, Вогхорн, Маккай (Миллер' 60)

"Аннан Атлетик": Карри, Блэк, Лукас, Криссиан, Суинглхёрст, Кадди, Омар (Дахнович' 79), Робертсон (Асгар' 69), Маккенна, Райт, Риберо (Парк' 45)

Рефери – Эуан Андерсон

Предупреждения: Асгар' 75, Лукас' 78, Вогхорн' 90+1

Голы: Маккай' 30, Вогхорн' 74

г. Глазго / Стадион "Айброкс" – 31.628 зрителей.

Edited by der Berliner

Ha, that what happens when you read three message boards at the same time. ;)

BTW, re the one who almost felt sick, Hodson offers us the option to play Tav further up the field. No more, no less. IMHO, Tav is a classic example of a modern-day wingback, who IMHO is more of a winger (60) than a fullback (40). And it is good to have that option, should our right-sided midfield fell victim to suspension and injury.

BTW Mk. II, Fraser Aird will return in October and (after a break) might be back-up for Tav (since he played righ-back for Vancouver), with Hodson being back-up for either side of defence. I wrote "might", since I wouldn't be surprised if Aird stays beyond the Great Pool for good.

We don't play with a right sided midfielder though.

We play with a central 3!

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

Do we know for sure that Tav can't play on the right of midfield in our system?

IMO, it's not as easy as it sounds moving a RB to Right-Wing (we don't have a RM). He could play there, but I don't think he has the versatility, and our wingers are more inside forwards anyway; he's never a forward.

Now that I think about it, Di Maria is a wide player, but played RCM (or maybe Left) to great effect for Real Madrid and PSG; a good high-energy option in the middle to help in the bigger games when needed. However, we have better players for our midfield.

Are there any highlights released yet? I didn't get to see the game -- other than 15 minutes on Periscope!

I saw McKay score funnily enough, but I was more pleased to see both Gilks and Hill shouting out instructions on the pitch. From what I read, Barton was also quite vocal. For me, this is great to see, for we missed this last year.