Reid Thrilled With Gers Support

gordon_reid_14072016.jpg

GORDON REID has thanked Rangers and the club’s fans for their support after the 24 year-old won a sensational double at Wimbledon at the weekend.

The Helensburgh ace grabbed both the men’s wheelchair singles and doubles titles at the All England Club, adding to the Australian Open singles and French Open doubles titles he has claimed in ‘Grand Slams’ already this year.

Reid enjoyed terrific courtside backing at SW19 for all of his matches, and he revealed he has been overwhelmed by the support from Glasgow too, with a number of Rangers figures sending him their best wishes for his eventually successful campaign.

Speaking to Rangers.co.uk, Reid explained: “It’s brilliant to see to see everyone supporting me. Mark [Warburton] was messaging me through the week and was keeping an eye on the matches, and I had a few messages from a couple of the players as well as the club in general, and it’s always really nice to see.

“I can’t wait to get back out in front of all the supporters to tour my trophies again. Winning at Wimbledon is definitely the pinnacle of my career. I thought winning my first singles title in Melbourne was going to be the top as it was such an amazing feeling, but this eclipses that.”

Indeed, a number of Reid’s fans have adapted Warburton’s ‘Magic Hat’ song to back the world doubles number one, with the tune clearly heard belting out around the famous Wimbledon courts in Sunday’s singles final.

He continued: “Most of my mates are big Rangers fans as well, but they couldn’t make it during the week. But when I got to the final, they phoned me up and decided they were going to drive down for it.

“So there was two or three car fulls that headed down on the Saturday for the final, and as they were driving down they were watching my doubles match on their phones, and they were coming up with songs too.

“So they came up with ‘Gordy Reid is magic, he wears a magic hat. He could have gave up tennis, but he didn’t fancy that.

‘He’s got the greatest backhand the world has ever seen, and now that he’s won Wimby he’s going to meet the Queen!’

“So they brought a little bit of Rangers magic hat magic to Wimbledon!”

A superb year for Reid could be about to get even better, with the Paralympics in Rio de Janeiro kicking off on September 7.

And, given the way he is currently performing, he fancies his chances of striking Gold for Team GB.

He said: “I have one more tournament – the British Open in Nottingham at the end of this month, and then it’s all eyes on Rio after that.

“I’ve got a good few weeks training after that to prepare, and I can’t wait to get out to Brazil to represent the country.

“It’s definitely he most confident I’ve ever been in my career. I’ve made all three singles finals at the ‘Grand Slams’ this year, and all three doubles finals too, and taken home four trophies.

“I’m in my best ever form and if I can keep that up and play as well as I have done this year, then I have a good chance of bringing home some medals.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/reid-thrilled-gers-support/

What a fantastic achievement for this guy,total respect for him