Dave King Update #14 - Replica kit and retail deals

Nothing new really...

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/dave-king-response-14/

As previously mentioned, there were a significant amount of questions devoted to the present status and the likely way forward for the Club’s retail operations – and in particular the replica kit.

It is beneficial for supporters to get an update on the current position in advance of the coming season and to dispel some of the incorrect assumptions and statements that have been voiced. First, all of Rangers trademarks and brands are owned by The Rangers Football Club Limited (TRFC). TRFC licenced the use of the trademarks and brands to Rangers Retail Limited (RRL) which is the joint venture company between TRFC and Sportsdirect.com Retail Limited that was specially formed to manage the Club’s retail activities. The various agreements related to this were put in place by the previous board.

Secondly, as a director and chairman of RRL, I owe duties to RRL that are independent of my duties and obligations as Chairman of the Club’s holding company. Since my appointment as a director of RRL, I have sought to understand the circumstances that led to it being formed, the way in which it carries out its business and the manner in which it is governed, both internally and in its dealings with the outside world. It is my duty as a director to understand such matters. There are a number of issues that, as my understanding increases, have caused me concern but they must necessarily be dealt with away from the public arena. What I can give assurances on is that I am using my best endeavours to resolve these issues.

It was certainly a unique experience for me to share a boardroom table with a man called before a Parliamentary Committee to explain his company’s business practices and how that company treats those who work in its business. It was not a long acquaintance as Mr Ashley suddenly resigned rather than work with me and the others on the Board to resolve the issues facing RRL. No explanation has been given for Mr Ashley’s resignation.

Paul Murray is with me on the Board of RRL and we will not abandon our duties to that company. These are now more challenging than ever as RRL has been advised by TRFC that TRFC has terminated the Agreement that permits RRL to distribute, market and supply Rangers products. As a director of RRL, I and my colleagues on the Board need to carefully analyse and review the circumstances that have led to TRFC terminating the retail arrangements. We also need to consider how RRL should respond to the termination. As you might imagine, most of this has to take place in confidence because of our duties to the Company and out of respect to our business partners and those who supply Rangers products.

This process is ongoing and hopefully TRFC will soon be in a position to communicate further with Rangers supporters on these issues. I am sorry that I am restricted from saying more at this time.

A waste of time, and a pointless dig at Ashley, which will do nothing to help resolve the position.

The poorest statement by far.

It seems to me, going by his words last week, he wanted to say more but has decided that discretion is the better part of valour on this occasion.

However, the dig was gratuitous and just makes him look petty.

Essentially he is saying that he - on behalf of the club (and the holding company) - terminated the Agreement that permits RRL to distribute, market and supply Rangers products. And he also sits on the board of RRL and has to deal with it on their behalf and in their best interest? I would crack a smile if it weren't damn serious.

It seems to me, going by his words last week, he wanted to say more but has decided that discretion is the better part of valour on this occasion.

However, the dig was gratuitous and just makes him look petty.

Correct as that is, it is not even close to how low Ashley himself has handled his dealings with Dave King. It is all too easy for us to expect more of our custodians, but none of us were being hounded, bullied and effectively threatened with jail terms by a small-minded vindictive egomaniac.

I also would prefer King didn't make the dig at Ashley (especially as Dave King has had his own issues with SARS), but I can also understand that sometimes it is difficult to not take an opportunity when it arises to have a pot shot at someone that has a clear vendetta against you.

Correct as that is, it is not even close to how low Ashley himself has handled his dealings with Dave King. It is all too easy for us to expect more of our custodians, but none of us were being hounded, bullied and effectively threatened with jail terms by a small-minded vindictive egomaniac.

I also would prefer King didn't make the dig at Ashley (especially as Dave King has had his own issues with SARS), but I can also understand that sometimes it is difficult to not take an opportunity when it arises to have a pot shot at someone that has a clear vendetta against you.

That's fine if it only affects himself. However if his petty digs make it even harder for the club to extract themselves from the retail agreement then he should keep his mouth shut.

Ach, he's taken a free shot at a bully so it's difficult to be overly-critical.

I guess what the dig does tell us a resolution certainly isn't close.