I’ll Become A Better Player

by Nick Thomson

AddThis Sharing Buttons

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to WhatsAppShare to EmailMore AddThis Share options

RATHER than take the hump over the signing of another full-back in Lee Hodson, James Tavernier is relishing the competition, and reckons the threat of losing his place will make him a better player.

The 24 year-old right-back was an ever-present for Rangers last season as the team swept to the Championship and Petrofac Cup double, but his position in the side now looks to be in a degree of jeopardy with the acquisition of Northern Ireland international full-back Hodson.

But rather than accept his potential fate, Tavernier has vowed to do everything possible to retain his place.

Speaking to RangersTV on tour in Charleston, USA, he explained: “What brings the best football out of me, is me being challenged. Last season, Lee Wallace and I were the only full-backs in the team, and the challenge wasn’t there but we still maintained high standards.

“But when there is competition for places and there is someone there to step in, it forces you to work harder and become better. I am relishing the opportunity to work with someone who wants my position, and hopefully that will bring a better player out of me.”

His 50 appearances in blue last year was by far the biggest number of games Tavernier has played in a single season, and as he reflected on an overall successful campaign, he put his footballing success down to being settled in one city at last having previously been through something of a nomadic career.

The Englishman continued: “It was a season to remember. It was overall a great season for the club although it was disappointing the way it ended with the Cup Final. That’s history now and we have a new squad coming into this new season, and we are all really excited for it.

“I wouldn’t have believed if anyone had told me I’d score 15 goals at the start of the season. The style of play we played last season suited me really well and it allowed me to get into good positions to get shots at goal away.

“It was great too to get so many assists and I was proud of that too. My target now is to break the record in the top flight.

“I have settled really well in the city, as have my family. I love Glasgow, and it’s been great for me as I’ve always wanted a foundation and the gaffer, Davie and the staff have given me that to build on.

“This is where I call home, and this is where I’ve had a full season of football for the first time. I’ve been part of everything that’s gone with it. We are all happy and content in Glasgow, and I feel like it has helped me to perform on the pitch.”

WATCH AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH TAVERNIER HERE

The new season is now just 11 days away, and the early start to the campaign with the introduction of the new League Cup group stage translated into a much shorter than normal close season for the Rangers players.

But rather than complain about having to flee the beach a few weeks earlier than he would have been used to, Tavernier is itching to get back to action as quickly as possible.

He added: “We had three weeks off, and a lot of boys relaxed in those three weeks, but once the Euros started I really wanted to get back into things and to play football. I’m delighted to be back into the fold of things again and I obviously can’t wait for the first couple of games, to pull on the shirt and to represent Rangers again.

“I’d like to get a lot of assists again, that has to be my target, but also, we want to be strong defensively. We want to try and keep as many clean sheets as possible, and while it will be a tougher year, we have a squad that can do great things.

“It’s going to be exciting for the fans and everyone else watching. We play Celtic a lot more this season, and while we didn’t think we were going to face them last year, we ended up drawing them in the cup, and the result in that game was fantastic for the club and the fans.

“With Aberdeen and Hearts too, there is going to be a lot of competition, but that’s what you want – you want to be challenged and we relish the challenge that has come. We will set our sights high, and do everything to start well and keep it going all the way through the season.”

The Scottish Premiership season kick-off is still a little bit further down the pipeline, but when it comes around, Tavernier and co. will be running out at a packed Ibrox every week with the news that season ticket sales have exceeded 40,000.

Giving his thoughts on that, Tavernier said: “It’s a mindblowing figure, and you won’t hear many numbers like that around the country or even the world. It’s incredible and shows that we have put a lot of faith back into the fans. They have seen what we were capable of last season and with the new additions we are going to be stronger this season.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/ill-become-better-player/