Uefa warms to idea of cross-border leagues to close Europe’s wealth divide

A number of countries are holding “active discussions” with Uefa about joining forces and launching cross-border leagues, according to the highest ranking official in European football’s governing body.

Theodore Theodoridis, Uefa’s interim general secretary, acknowledged yesterday that the possibility – which could, in theory, open the door for the English and Scottish leagues to merge, giving Rangers and Celtic the chance to compete south of the border - was being explored. Both the Netherlands and Belgium – who previously ran an experimental joint league for their women’s competitions last year – and Sweden, Norway and Denmark are said to be considering it.…

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/uefa-warms-to-idea-of-cross-border-leagues-to-close-europes-wealth-divide-dxjjh635g

Once Sky agrees to the idea that the Old Firm would improve the competition down south, we can talk again. The EPL and the leagues below them will not bow to wishful thinking, they will bow to those who hand them millions if not billions year after year.

I always quite fancied the North Atlantic league idea with Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Scotland. I felt it would be a better competitive competition for us. I still have so many doubts as to why they would want us down south.

It's good the debate has opened again.

Aside from the obvious considerations for Rangers finances am I the only one sick and tired of the English arrogance regarding how superior their league is in comparison to Scotland and the assertion that even league 1 players coming to play for Rangers are "taking a step down"?

Now there is no denying there is a massive gulf between their top league and ours but the existence of this gulf is typically presented by English fans as evidence that they are simply superior in a footballing sense with no acknowledgement of the fact that it's wholly down to the sky tv anomaly.

Go ask Iceland and their population of 332,000 how superior the English are.

I wonder how many active discussions and words have passed on this general topic without anything actually happening.

Wake me up when something actually happens,....you'll need a shovel.

Aside from the obvious considerations for Rangers finances am I the only one sick and tired of the English arrogance regarding how superior their league is in comparison to Scotland and the assertion that even league 1 players coming to play for Rangers are "taking a step down"?

Now there is no denying there is a massive gulf between their top league and ours but the existence of this gulf is typically presented by English fans as evidence that they are simply superior in a footballing sense with no acknowledgement of the fact that it's wholly down to the sky tv anomaly.

Go ask Iceland and their population of 332,000 how superior the English are.

it's not wholly down to Sky though. The English leagues were superior to Scottish leagues long before Sky came on the scene.

Once Sky agrees to the idea that the Old Firm would improve the competition down south, we can talk again. The EPL and the leagues below them will not bow to wishful thinking, they will bow to those who hand them millions if not billions year after year.

think BT might also have a big say in it these days

They have what is proposed there already - the European Cups.

They may well at some point in the future bring in some sort of league to generate even more money for themselves, but anyone believing we or the scum will be invited to the party needs their head read. The usual suspects from England, Spain, Germany, etc will receive invites. Nobody else need apply.

Edited by boabie

I always quite fancied the North Atlantic league idea with Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Scotland. I felt it would be a better competitive competition for us. I still have so many doubts as to why they would want us down south.

It's good the debate has opened again.

I felt the same but I'm not sure if it really works for competing against the big leagues. You end up with a lot of games like Aberdeen vs Molde, and is Rangers vs Brugge or FC Copenhagen going to attract a huge, international TV audience?

The money would go up, but not to anywhere near the 100m on offer in the EPL. Mabye 10m if we're lucky.