Dave King Fan Response #1

I'd hope we don't base anything on European football and just use any funds from there as unexpected bonuses.

Back in the real world, if we're to challenge Celtic who do have access to such funds, then it will be difficult to mount a real attack until we have same. In that sense, last month's Hampden loss was a real disappointment - emotionally and logistically.

Had always thought that the uefa cup doesn't bring much profit unless you go far?

Same goes for retail? If all was running well and we were not being shafted how much profit could reasonably be expected? £2m-£3m? Will that make much of a dent in our transfer abilities?Not sure how the cash flow would affect the clubs ability to run? are RR accounts not separate and just our percentage paid at agreed times? Is that not the way it always ran?

Personally think the transfer policy has to be self fulfilling and agree with that part. For that to be a workable reality at Rangers with our expectations on the field then it must be initially funded by a third party and operated wisely and progressively.No other plan keeps us realistically competitive in the next 3-5 years. We fall >10 points behind at xmas and all bets will be off. That is the reality we operate within.

Need to agree to disagree on the honesty of the statement. For me it is a master class in the art of distraction.

Had always thought that the uefa cup doesn't bring much profit unless you go far?

Same goes for retail? If all was running well and we were not being shafted how much profit could reasonably be expected? £2m-£3m? Will that make much of a dent in our transfer abilities?Not sure how the cash flow would affect the clubs ability to run? are RR accounts not separate and just our percentage paid at agreed times? Is that not the way it always ran?

Personally think the transfer policy has to be self fulfilling and agree with that part. For that to be a workable reality at Rangers with our expectations on the field then it must be initially funded by a third party and operated wisely and progressively.No other plan keeps us realistically competitive in the next 3-5 years. We fall >10 points behind at xmas and all bets will be off. That is the reality we operate within.

Need to agree to disagree on the honesty of the statement. For me it is a master class in the art of distraction.

When you're currently spending next to nothing on transfer fees (whilst trying to rebuild other parts of the club) then, yes, a few million from European football and retail definitely helps.

So you want to get a bank loan for £10m then? What bank do we go to and what happens if we're still ten points behind at the end of the year?

King may not be being completely upfront with everyone but I think some are not being honest with themselves either.

Mostly you have to spend money to make money. Unfortunately that is what celtic do. There are plenty of 2 mill players in Holland and other countries that could go on to become 8 mill players. There is always a risk of course. Looking at a lot of the players kicking about now, the French and Spanish second division looks to have a few gems.

Edited by pete

Same goes for retail? If all was running well and we were not being shafted how much profit could reasonably be expected? £2m-£3m? Will that make much of a dent in our transfer abilities?

The BIG priority is to get the footballing infrastructure at a level where it adds significant value without having to make significant financial gambles on player trading.

The way the market is structured today means that there are a lot of players out there who you don't need to pay a transfer fee for or a relatively modest sum.

Given circumstances at this moment in time we shouldn't even think about shelling out a relatively big fee on X.....unless it is within the managers plans and budget. ie. no signings to keep the troops happy / stop them moaning about not spending money.

Value for every pound spent within a first class infrastructure where every layer adds Value.

It's the only way that we can be both successful and sustainable.

It was the first reply to the many questions we have and had. It was clearly an overall view of how things stand and some sort of introduction on the topic.

I am somewhat staggerd by some of the negative replies it got above. Perhaps he will address some points in upcoming replies, but really, what would you, truebluensince1982 want to hear that is not already there? In a first reply. You hand him an "art of distraction" swipe, go on and explain that, if you please? Distraction from what?

When you're currently spending next to nothing on transfer fees (whilst trying to rebuild other parts of the club) then, yes, a few million from European football and retail definitely helps.

So you want to get a bank loan for £10m then? What bank do we go to and what happens if we're still ten points behind at the end of the year?

King may not be being completely upfront with everyone but I think some are not being honest with themselves either.

no I don't want a bank loan. I have already said previously I believe there is money in the revenue streams plus a soft loan. Thought that was the whole point of bringing this board in was to fund the team appropriately in the short to mid term until we were back running full tilt? Guess not

What are people not being honest with themselves about? Not sure what can be more honest about. The transfer plan will most likely amount to challenging for second and will need European football or selling of players .That takes time and Rangers fans to accept being what we have never accepted before. Being second.Cant be more honest than to judge his statement on its own merits. Statement is full of absolutely pointless drivel to distract from the main point. They are putting up no money for transfers. We will rely on freebies and loans. Also opens up a new question for me. Will any of the current soft loans be repaid this coming season or will they still stand until shares can be given?

The reality of our situation does not mean the approach being taken is the only way forward. This is the best way forward for the board as it minimizes their outlay and financial risk in my opinion. God help us if we lose MW better hope there is someone else able to pull a rabbit out a hat with one hand tied behind his back.

They £10m talk is akin to DK distraction techniques. Nobody is asking for £10m just a fighting chance and an appropriate amount of our generated revenue spent on the first team. If the club needs large outlays on other one offs or parts that have been destroyed by previous boards then the investors should cover them. What happened to the share issue? Is that no longer an immediate option?

Only positive I can take from the first statement is he answered my question and we are pre planning our signings.

On a side note how can getting record ST sales help squad acquisitions this year if they are pre planned in advance?

There is a lot of money being spent on renovation work around the stadium as well,I also read on FF that we have bought a couple of youth players,not sure if that's true?

That is true. We paid fees for 3 U14's last week from Airdrie, Motherwell and Killie

It was the first reply to the many questions we have and had. It was clearly an overall view of how things stand and some sort of introduction on the topic.

I am somewhat staggerd by some of the negative replies it got above. Perhaps he will address some points in upcoming replies, but really, what would you, truebluensince1982 want to hear that is not already there? In a first reply. You hand him an "art of distraction" swipe, go on and explain that, if you please? Distraction from what?

he uses a technique that is well known in politics and debating of replacing negatives with positives reasoning that has no bearing on the original point. They are there purely to get agreement and engineer a feeling of mutual consent and understanding.

Starts from a position of referencing us playing in Europe as if its a given. A false pretense that allows him to argue from a point of strength. Very common practice. Unfortunately our expenditure will determine whether we play in Europe rather than the other way round. The discussion should be on how Europe is an achievable goal through this strategy. That's not what he does instead he talks as if it is a small step we will make irrespective of strategy as if its a given. Keep in mind we are supposed to be discussing our transfer strategy at this time. A strategy he says needs European football but says nothing about how we will first actually secure that win fall with only free transfers. With easy use of wording he has easily bypassed a major talking point. How will we secure second place with a frugal strategy in place? He already has people taking about future spending once we reach Europe!

talk of not being able to attract top English players like years before. Nobody thought we would be buying Rooney! The only reason this comment is in is to bring agreement and people onside with an irrefutable fact. Again common strategy used in politics and debating. The fact has nothing to do with the original point. Our inability along with the rest of the world to compete with English sides has nothing to do with our transfer policy. absolutely zero.

Compete with English sides in transfer dealings. Again same as above it has no bearing on our ability to spend. None. If you offer a £1m for a player and are outbid by a richer English side who are willing to pay over the odds that would still leave you in the market for a £1m player just a different option. The use of the English outlier is simply to stifle argument by placing the argument in the realms of extremes. It has nothing to do with our board sitting down and working out what our available funds are. Again same common debating tactic of using agreed irrefutable facts to deflect from the issue at hand used most commonly by politicians. If asked about the nhs budgets talk about not raising taxes instead and the lack of hospital care out with Britain and not of what the rest of the money is being spent on.

If our inability to compete with English clubs framed our ability to move and deal within the market then it would be folly would it not to bring in a manager and chief scout who's main knowledge resides in that same market. Again none of this has any bearing on our ability to raise funds or lack thereof.

then we have have the new league stuff! Basically if you don't find what is being said palatable don't worry its not forever a bright new future is ahead! Least said here the better i think!

Almost every comment has nothing to do with our ability to raise funds or our decision making process. In fact everything he mentions as being positive outcomes from our decided transfer strategy would be enhanced with the addition of extra funds supporting it ,not reduced as a consequence.

Finally he says the final decision on payer selection is down to MW and his team. That's not completely true but the kind of half truth that effectively passes blame if any is to come onto MW. MW and his team are restricted in their ability to select players by the financial restrictions placed on them by the board. MW can only pick from the small reduced pool available. That pool is determined by the board. Again misdirection

He has said nothing about the reasons they have choose to not utilise soft loans and he fails to explain why this policy will remain for the for see able future if as expected we are due to grow financially year on year. He makes no mention of how we will compete with a wage budget massively lower than our competition or why using funds cannot become a new revenue stream of its own

Nothing he has done is new or surprising its just annoying and quite frankly exasperating when people still fail to cut out all the nonsense and concentrate on the real meat and bones of a statement. As you say maybe he will bring more clarity in future statements.

Trueblue

It seems fairly clear to me

1a. Put together mgmt team, who put together squad to win Championship. ............Done

1b. Start putting together footballing infrastructure to enable better value for money spent ............. in progress

2. Put together squad to compete in top tier / qualify for Europe.................. in progress

3. Improve squad for European competition when we get there

ie. I'm confident that the squad that is being put together by this mgmt team will (this season), qualify for European competition.

Edited by buster.