Bike in trophy room

That was the story we were told when we did the founders tour mate , I was only born in 66 so bow to your old age lol

Tinys maw took me on the private tour of the trophy room just following the issue of the Ibrox Trophy Room book. In her words it was "a load of shyte. If they'd asked me I could have told them the truth behind most of the stuff in here." Which she proceeded to do, including how one of the cups managed to get dented following a melee between players at the meal after a friendly match against Spanish opposition. :rfcbouncy:

Then again, maybe the story you were told is true and the bike was simply returned to where it used to reside at some point in between my visits.

On This Day: Sep 4 2014.

From Rangers official site....

424cca5fb020ee25ae9c757d36b8e583.jpg

PICTURE: The picture we’ve used is the gift that St Etienne gave Rangers, a French racing bike! You can find out all about the bike and where it was found after some time by taking an Ibrox Tour (information here) or by watching the tour of the famous Ibrox Trophy Room on RangersTV here.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/on-this-day-september-4/

the bike was a gift in the 50s. they came back again to play us in the 70s ans asked if we still had the bike.. it was found in a store room gathering dust. they were delighted when they heard we still had it! heard this on the ibrox tour.

Found this online.

There are 2 stories about the bike:

The official site goes with the first one (which I've extended).

A gift from St Etienne from when we played them in the European Cup in 1975

The bike was the type that was used in the Tour de France that year. The significance is that the winner of the Tour De France that year was a local boy to St Etienne and they commissioned a replica of the bike that he won it with to present to their opponents.

However, the book 'Blue Heaven - The Ibrox Trophy Room' by William Thornton suggests the bike was a gift from the now defunct Racing Club of Paris given to RFC in the late 50s. This book also suggests the gift St Etienne gave Rangers was actually a French miner's lamp.

Maybe Racing gifted a bike 40s/50s. Maybe St E presented a bike in 1975. Maybe they threw in a miner's lamp but that was more likely Gornik. As I say, I don't know. But I do know they brought a bike with them in 1957. Fact.

The 'mysterious' bike found in a storeroom full of dust that today adorns the trophy room. Willie Thornton says Racing Club of Paris gave us it. The name of the club 'Racing' sounds as if it could be more than the truth.

St Etienne was the city where a company called 'Manufrance' came from...and that's the decals on the bike itself.

This bike has a certain history that no-one really knows about for sure.