Mark Warburton joy at netting Joey Barton

MARK WARBURTON has hailed Joey Barton as the player who can spark Rangers to top-flight glory next season.

The Light Blues boss — speaking for the first time since signing ex-England star Barton — is ecstatic to have brought in the hugely experienced star.

SunSport Online was first with the news of Warburton’s stunning success in clinching the signature of the former Manchester City, Newcastle United, QPR and Marseille ace.

The 33-year-old was also offered a contract to stay at Burnley and play in the English Premier League.

Warburton — currently on holiday but still plotting other significant transfer moves to make a push for the title — told SunSport: “Bringing Joey to Rangers is a BIG statement of intent by the club.

“I’m absolutely delighted we’ve signed him because he is a tremendous talent and someone who, like Kenny Miller and Lee Wallace, can be an inspiration for the younger players.

“He can help us get even more out of our developing talents, inspire everyone to get to the next level, winning more trophies, getting us where a club like Rangers has to be . . . at the very top.

“Joey brings an enormous amount of experience and is a top professional. That he’s signed for Rangers is a huge show of respect for our club and appreciation of what we can offer him.

“I’m very excited about what Joey can do for the team. He’s got a real desire to win, he’s a combative midfielder. I’m convinced he’ll make the likes of Jason Holt, Andy Halliday and Harry Forrester better players.”

Barton is Gers’ fourth summer signing, following Jordan Rossiter from Liverpool and Josh Windass and Matt Crooks from Accrington Stanley.

And Warburton — also talking to New York Cosmos’ Niko Kranjcar — added: “We’re looking to make two or three more good signings to strengthen the squad.”

Warburton, meanwhile, is in ongoing talks with the Ibrox board to improve the three-year deal signed just a year ago when he replaced Stuart McCall.

SunSport, in an interview with Gers chairman Dave King on May 21, revealed the move to reward the former Brentford boss.

The first Englishman to manage the club is constantly interesting clubs down south, with the likes of Everton and Derby County having him on their radar due to his transformation of Rangers.

Warburton was reluctant to discuss his negotiations but added: “I’m happy at Rangers and we’re building the club up again. The signings we’ve made so far have given everyone a lift. But we’re constantly seeking improvement.

“The success of last season has given everyone a hunger for more.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/7183388/Mark-Warburton-joy-at-netting-Joey-Barton.html

LIKE Brendan Rodgers, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho, Mark Warburton believes he will ‘live and die’ by his player recruitment.

Warburton, though, expects a long and happy life — thanks to Frank McParland.

In chief talent spotter McParland — linked with Rafa Benitez at Newcastle — the Rangers gaffer is convinced he has the best in the business.

Warburton’s Championship-winning side has been massively bolstered with the McParland-inspired captures of Joey Barton, Jordan Rossiter, Josh Windass and Matt Crooks.

Barton, without question, is the headline-grabbing signing coup so far.

Warburton is well aware of the influence of former Liverpool chief scout McParland on that deal and the others — with at least three more being plotted ahead of pre-season training in three weeks time.

Giving his first interview since the Scottish Cup Final defeat to Hibs, the Gers gaffer told SunSport: “I can’t give Frank enough credit for the work he’s doing for me and Rangers.

“I was absolutely delighted to bring him to the club because I knew how important, how valuable, he was going to be in what we’re trying to do.

“Frank has a fantastic eye for a player but he’s also very well connected.

“A year ago we wouldn’t have had a chance of bringing someone like Joey Barton to the club.

“However, Frank knows Joey very well and that relationship provided us with a great chance of getting him.

“It allowed us to establish contact and ultimately bring Joey to Glasgow for talks.

“The same goes for Jordan Rossiter. Frank knew all about him from his days working for Liverpool — so when there was an opportunity to sign the lad we moved as quickly as we could.

“Top managers like Brendan Rodgers, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho live and die by their recruitment.

“You can be as good a manager as possible, but the bottom line is if you haven’t got the right players to work with then what chance have you got?

“I said right from the outset that bringing in Frank, and his ability in recruitment, was going to prove crucial for our hopes. So far, you can see the value of Frank being here.

“At Liverpool he brought in talents such as Raheem Sterling and Jordan Ibe.

“But look at Brentford, over the last year they’ve sold so many players for big money. Frank identified them, knew what they could bring but there was also an awareness of potential future value.

“That has worked very well there since Frank moved on and came to Rangers.

“However, I wanted also to create the best possible working environment at Ibrox and Murray Park — that’s why I also moved for David Weir as my assistant, Neil McIlhargey in analysis, Craig Flannigan as head of performance and bringing back Dave Lavery as masseur.

“David Weir has been absolutely magnificent. He knows Rangers as well as anyone, he has the knowledge and the character.

“David’s been there, seen it and done it. He has the respect of everyone.

“The quality of our support staff has enabled players such as Lee Wallace, Rob Kiernan and Wes Foderingham to play more games in a season than they’ve ever done in their careers.

“Our squad has the chance to be the best it can be because I believe I’ve got the guys who are the best at what they do.

“We’re making great progress — and I can’t pay tribute enough to my support staff.”

The Rossiter signing — like those of Windass and Crooks — has been totally overshadowed by Barton’s arrival.

Warburton, though, said: “Jordan’s got the heart of a lion and I firmly believe he will prove to be every bit as good a signing as Joey.

“He was very highly thought of at Liverpool and they weren’t exactly in a hurry to lose him. Jordan’s also well thought of at international level, currently with England’s Under-19s.

“He’s a great age to develop and get even better. I’m excited to get him for Rangers.

“Listen, in terms of stature Joey Barton’s probably the biggest signing I’ve made as a manager but Jordan’s a tremendous prospect and I’m really looking forward to working with him.

“Josh and Matt are also two very talented individuals who will bring a lot to the team and the squad.

“Joey and Kenny Miller are the kind the rest can look up to.”

Warburton’s got no worries over so-called baggage with Barton.

The Scouser has a past rap sheet for countless indiscretions with footballing and court authorities.

He said: “Am I worried? Not at all. Sean Dyche is one of my best friends in football and told me how fantastic Joey was for him and his Burnley team as they won the Championship and promotion back to the Premier League.

“He said Joey was never a minute’s bother, that he wanted to keep him. That was good enough for me.

“I met Joey and I was quickly impressed with his desire to achieve success. That’s what is motivating him. I loved how he quickly embraced the history of Rangers and the standards demonstrated at Ibrox and Murray Park.”

Warburton was loathe to discuss the shocking scenes at Hampden in the immediate aftermath of the Cup final.

His players were forced to get their runners-up medals in the dressing room, delivered in a carrier bag and distributed by Warburton and Weir.

He said: “It was a disappointing way to end the season. Hibs won and credit to them but we were 2-1 ahead and I felt we should’ve seen it out.

“Losing Dom Ball through suspension hurt us. We lost that physicality and height he brings.

“However, the big priority was to return to the Premiership and we managed that.

“What happened after the final was deeply disappointing. It’s very sad such a showpiece game will be remembered for that. But that’s all I’m saying.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/7183071/Warbs-knows-just-how-important-Frank-McParland-is-to-Rangers.html