Thompson Targets Top Team

JORDAN THOMPSON is targeting a place in the first-team for next season after making an early recovery from ankle ligament damage.

The 19-year-old suffered the injury while on loan at Airdrieonians in February, which curtailed his campaign and forced him to return to his parent club.

But the midfielder has made a quicker return than expected and played against Tottenham Hotspur in Gers friendly in London.

Thompson said: “I played the last half an hour against Spurs and everything was fine, I just need to get my fitness back up.

“I have been out for four weeks and it has actually healed quite well, once I did it I thought I would be out for the rest of the season but it feels okay.”

“It was frustrating to get injured because we were fighting to be in the play-offs so the timing was unfortunate, and the boys were unlucky because they missed out.

“For me personally it was a blow too so I’m very glad to be back and getting some game time against Spurs.

“The loan was going well before I got injured, obviously it was different from playing at Rangers but it was a great bunch of boys I was playing with and a great club.

“I want to go into next season flying and break into the first team properly; hopefully I get a good pre-season, go to America and stay injury free.”

The former Manchester United youth player made seven appearances in his short time at the Excelsior Stadium and scored one stunning goal.

Having spent his youth career with the 20 times topflight winners before moving to his boyhood club in Glasgow he admits taking a step down the leagues humbled him.

The Northern Ireland Under 19 said: “It was a great place to be and something different from playing 20s matches all the time.

“It was a bit of a culture shock coming from Rangers because going down the leagues they don’t have much so it was a great learning curve.”

“Sometimes players take what they have got for granted and they don’t realise what they’ve got until they leave it.

“But when I left United I went to a few clubs in England who didn’t have the same facilities but then coming to Rangers they had everything and I won’t ever take that for granted.

“Kenny Miller was giving me a bit of stick saying I don’t score enough games and it was that weekend that I scored and it was actually a good goal.”

I doubt it will be next season as he seems to be far down the pecking order.

Certainly has the talent,still on the young side,but he is in the right place to develop and I'm sure he is aware of that,wouldn't surprise me to see him get more game time next season.