Ashley and Rangers shares

See Keith Jackson is alluding to something happening on the subject of Ashley's holding in Rangers. Probably just flying a kite. But can Ashley get permission from Englsih Championship to retain his Rangers shares or is it set in stone that he must now sell?

I'm not convinced anything will come of this because Newcastle & Rangers come under the jurisdiction of different FA's.

I doubt it either. Even if he had to sell he could just sell to his wife.

I'd suggest the Rangers board would like to get rid off the PUMA deal more than Ashley.

I'd have thought it is worth peanuts compared to what the yahoos get from NB.

Ashley himself has no real power now regards controlling Rangers since the £5m loan was repaid

I'd suggest the Rangers board would like to get rid off the PUMA deal more than Ashley.

I'd have thought it is worth peanuts compared to what the yahoos get from NB.

Ashley himself has no real power now regards controlling Rangers since the £5m loan was repaid

He has a large say in Rangers retail. His votes seem to count double for some reason.

MIKE ASHLEY faces the prospect of being forced to loosen his grip on Rangers in the wake of Newcastle United’s relegation from the Premier League.

The Toon will play Championship football next term after rivals Sunderland condemned them to the drop on Wednesday evening and that has brought Ashley’s involvement with Rangers into focus once again. The businessman owns an 8.92% stake at Ibrox and controls Rangers’ merchandise operation through his Sports Direct empire.

The Football League has stringent rules on dual interests regarding the ownership of shares and the off-field influence individuals can have on more than one club. Without written consent of the Football League board, an individual cannot hold an interest in another club and Regulation 99 states: “A person shall be deemed to be interested in a football club if he, whether directly or indirectly: holds or deals in (or has made any application to hold or deal in or underwrite any issue of) the securities or shares of that football club; or is a member of that football club; or is involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management or administration of that football club; or has any power whatsoever to influence the financial, commercial or business affairs or the management or administration of that football club; or has lent to, gifted money to, or purchased future receivables from or guaranteed the debts or obligations of that football club (or any other arrangement of substantially similar effect) otherwise than in the ordinary course of banking.”

Ashley has been the subject of fans’ ire on both sides of the border for several months and the prospect of the billionaire selling his shares in Rangers International Football Club plc has been welcomed by supporters. There is unlikely to be a swift solution, however, as his Ibrox influence has once again come under the microscope.

“I don’t think there is any expectation that he sells them soon,” Craig Houston of the Sons of Struth told Herald Sport. “There will be some timescale on it and, Mike Ashley being Mike Ashley, he will take that all the way and argue through the courts that he shouldn’t have to sell. “If he did go, it would be great for Rangers fans because we want him to have anything to do with our club.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14490077.Rangers_fans_don__39_t_expect_an_early_departure_from_Mike_Ashley_after_Newcastle__39_s_Premier_League_drop/?

MIKE ASHLEY faces the prospect of being forced to loosen his grip on Rangers in the wake of Newcastle’s relegation from the Premier League.

The Toon will play Championship football next term after rivals Sunderland condemned them to the drop on Wednesday evening.

The Football League has stringent rules on dual interests regarding the ownership of shares and the off-field influence individuals can have on more than one club.

Without written consent of the Football League board, an individual cannot hold an interest in another club and Regulation 99 states: “A person shall be deemed to be interested in a football club if he, whether directly or indirectly: holds or deals in (or has made any application to hold or deal in or underwrite any issue of) the securities or shares of that football club; or is a member of that football club; or is involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management or administration of that football club; or has any power whatsoever to influence the financial, commercial or business affairs or the management or administration of that football club; or has lent to, gifted money to, or purchased future receivables from or guaranteed the debts or obligations of that football club (or any other arrangement of substantially similar effect) otherwise than in the ordinary course of banking."

Ashley owns an 8.92% stake at Ibrox and controls Rangers’ merchandise operation through his Sports Direct empire, and his involvement with the Gers has now come under the microscope.

But Craig Houston of the Sons of Struth reckons fans may face a lengthy wait to discover if the billionaire will sever some ties with the Light Blues.

Houston told SportTimes: “Mike Ashley has a shareholding in Rangers and obviously the merchandise deal that we are not happy with.

“Going by the Football League rules, it looks like he does have to sell his shares. I don’t see him selling Newcastle quickly.

“The only question is who he sells them to. Does he sell to Sandy Easdale? Does he sell to one of his London associates? Or does he just argue with the Football League about why he shouldn’t sell?

“I don’t think there is any expectation that he sells them soon. There will be some timescale on it and, Mike Ashley being Mike Ashley, he will take that all the way and argue through the courts that he shouldn’t have to sell.

“If he did go, it would be great for Rangers fans because we want him to have anything to do with our club.

“Unfortunately because of our recent history with him, I doubt very much he would sell to someone that the fans would embrace.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if they want to Sandy Easdale, Derek Llambias or one of his old cohorts.”

The pressure is on Ashley and the Toon board after Newcastle slipped out of England’s top flight for the second time under his stewardship.

And Houston knows the businessman faces a series of tough calls in the coming weeks as he considers his next moves on both sides of the border.

He said: “As the scores were coming through on Wednesday night, I had mixed emotions.

“It is obviously fantastic that there is another issue that Mike Ashley has to deal with but I have got close connections with the Newcastle fans over the last couple of years.

“Like all things in sport, fans put more in than anyone else than any one individual and they suffer more when things go wrong.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/...r_League_drop/

But the Football League could be set to force the billionaire’s hand following Sunderland’s win over Everton on Wednesday night which sent Newcastle down.

Regulation 98.2.4 states that no individual from one club is permitted ‘to have any power whatsoever to influence the financial, commercial or business affairs or the management or administration’ of another.

And the rules extend not just to English clubs but also those which ‘operated under the auspices of The Scottish Football League, Scottish Premier League or Irish Football League,’.

If the board of the Football League find that their rules are being broken by Ashley’s relationship with Rangers then they can demand that Ashley cuts his ties with the Premiership new boys within a set timescale.

Theoretically, that could leave Newcastle with enough time to attempt to secure promotion back to the top tier of the game at the first attempt - and free Ashley from the stringent Football League rules.

But if Newcastle should fail to go straight back up and Ashley is found to be in breach of the rules then the Geordie giants could face potential expulsion.

The Football League last night refused to make any official comment when contacted by Record Sport.

But a source did confirm: “This is obviously at a very early stage as Newcastle’s relegation was only confirmed last night. But, yes, the Football League is already aware of a number of potential issues regarding Sports Direct, Newcastle and Rangers.

“It is something we need to investigate and the matter will be being looked into over the coming weeks.”

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-fc-mike-ashley-could-7957467#BHWAD6o8xQze6Gpy.99