Mark Warburton: Spurs test will prepare Rangers for Scottish Cup final challenge

Shame it's closed doors; there hasn't been a friendly near me for years. There was the Derby one, but weirdly you had to travel from Glasgow so I was scunnered there too...

You didn't have to travel from Glasgow at all, no problem obtaining tickets either, as Chilledbear can confirm.

Taken from FF

The game finished 4-3 to Rangers,we doninated the first half with probably 65 per cent possession.went in 3 nil up at half time then we made quite a few changes which unsettled us a bit,they scored a few goals to get themselves back in it but Clark scored for us to go 4-2 up.they then scored wi a few minutes to go.overall a good work out

Scorelines dont matter in these games, the same as in pre-season. What will matter is the competitive level of the match. Was it a end of season bounce game which will give us nothing, an easy match against a very inexperienced youth side which will not give us the competitive edge we need, or a game with a mixture of youth and first team played at a good pace for the first hour or so at least that is what we probably need to keep ticking over?

We will probably never know as these things will be spun as a good exercise, forging friendships, etc etc. That will probably end up being the most beneficial thing about it as we look to see who we can borrow for next year.

Youngsters enjoy Rangers challenge

Posted on 11 May 2016 - 17:23

John McDermott reflected on a “very satisfying day’s work” for our Development Squad after a testing behind-closed-doors friendly against Rangers on Wednesday (May 11)

The treble-chasing Glasgow giants, who have already won the Scottish Championship title and the Scottish Challenge Cup this season, came down to London to continue their preparations for next weekend’s Scottish Cup Final against Hibernian by taking on a young Spurs XI at our Hotspur Way training base.

John, our Head of Player Development, said the exercise proved very beneficial for all concerned.

“It was a pleasure to welcome Rangers and it was a fantastic opportunity for our players to test themselves against a top senior side,” he said after the game, which ended 4-3 to the visitors.

“We say it regularly – the best and hardest tests are usually when we play against men’s sides and I thought today was just that. Rangers were excellent. Their movement, their physicality and their approach to the game was first class and I was really proud of how our players hung onto their coattails to some extent in the first half. We showed an excellent mentality to compete and then in the second half I thought the game was fairly even.

“I know from speaking to Mark Warburton (Rangers manager) that they got a lot out of it too but from our side I was pleased with Shayon Harrison – he impressed along with Will Miller while Grant Ward (pictured below) came back after playing 90 minutes in his final game on loan at Rotherham at the weekend and I thought he was exemplary. He was our senior player and I was really pleased with his approach and how he led our team. Most of the players came out in credit in a very, very tough game for us.”

Dean Shiels and James Tavernier gave Rangers a 2-0 lead inside 31 minutes with Martyn Waghorn extending the visitors’ advantage 10 minutes into the second period.

Shayon Harrison hit back for us on 66 minutes, Nicky Clark made it 4-1 two minutes later before Cy Goddard netted in the 71st and 77th minutes to reduce the arrears.

Alfie Whiteman, Kyle Walker-Peters, Joe Muscatt, Filip Lesniak, Christian Maghoma, Anton Walkes, Joe Pritchard, Charlie Owens, Zenon Stylianides and Shilow Tracey were also in action for us.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/under-21s/match/report/spurs-xi-v-rangers-friendly-110516/

No disrespect to women but not surprised that it's tougher against "men's sides"...???

Interesting to see Shiels starting and scoring. I'm not too bothered about retaining Clark, even though he scored too, but thinking Shiels might be a passable squad player, as long as his wage isn't too inflated.

Seems like a good run out but I think we should be looking for a more matched challenge early next week.

I'd like to think we might play another game behind closed doors at Auchenhowie.