Kirk Broadfoot: Tired Hibs will wilt just like Rangers did in 2008

KIRK BROADFOOT reckons the Hibs players will be sleep-deprived and out on their feet by the time they face Rangers at Hampden.

The former Ibrox defender fears Alan Stubbs’ men will have nothing left to give in the Scottish Cup Final should they also make it to the play-off decider.

The Easter Road outfit face the prospect of several season-defining games in the space of just three weeks if they are to negotiate a route back to the top flight.

It is a scheduling nightmare all too familiar to Broadfoot who was part of the Rangers side back in 2008 who were forced to go to the well nine times in 23 days at the end of a gruelling campaign which saw them play 68 matches in all competitions.

Broadfoot recalled: “Both mentally and physically it was really tough playing every couple of days.

“It takes at least two days for your body to recover after a match.

“Your body is telling you not to do it because you are not properly recovered but you need to go out and perform.

“The biggest problem was trying to sleep, especially after midweek games.

“You would be up until four or five in the morning because of the amount of caffeine in the energy and recovery drinks we were taking.

“When you go to bed you are wide awake and then you run through the game in your head.

“You are effectively missing a night’s sleep which is the last thing you need. You end up even more knackered.”

Rangers’ last nine games that campaign included a Uefa Cup semi and final, a Scottish Cup Final and crucial post-split fixtures as the title race with Celtic went down to the wire.

There was no respite mentally or physically with every game hugely significant.

Broadfoot, now playing for Championship Rotherham, admits the fixture mayhem eventually took a toll.

He said: “Given we were playing in such big games, particularly in Europe, you needed to be on top of your game mentally.

“Playing against top players you need to concentrate for every second of the game. That takes it out of you.

“It counted against us in the long run and I’m sure that’s why we ended up losing the league that season — although I don’t think it made any difference in the Uefa Cup Final as Zenit were the much better team.

“The physical side of it catches up with you eventually, but trying to get yourself switched on to play in big game after big game is so difficult. That’s what is going to be so hard for the Hibs boys

“The energy levels inevitably drop.

“Most professionals look after themselves, but I remember the doctor just telling us to eat as much as we could.

“To be honest we couldn’t eat enough as our body was burning off that many calories.

“We had ice baths every day and wore compression gear all the time. Anything to try and help us recover.

“If it is just week to week, you can play the whole year round. You get into a routine of training, then playing.

“But when you play two and three times a week you feel more tired clearly. You also pick up more knocks and you start to feel them more.

“Your body does need a break. If you just keep going and going then you will break down.”

Eight years on and Broadfoot still feels aggrieved that Scottish football chiefs did not do more to aid Rangers that season.

On the grounds of ‘sporting integrity’, the SPL turned down the Ibrox club’s pleas to be given additional time to prepare for the Uefa Cup Final.

As Hibs’ similar fixture marathon gathers pace, Broadfoot insists lessons still haven’t been learned.

He added: “It was a strange situation back then and I didn’t think it would ever happen again.

“Having to play so many games at the end of a long, hard season is not easy. I feel for the Hibs players.

“The fact that all Hibs’ games are in Scottish competitions is something the authorities might have thought about.

“Still, we were in Europe and they didn’t want to help us.

“It’s strange it’s happening again. Hibs have been done no favours although I’m sure Rangers are not complaining.

“I don’t think there is any possibility of them being fresh should they come through the play-offs and then have to take on Rangers at Hampden.

“I have sympathy for their plight as I know what they are going through although I’m a Rangers fan and want them to win the Scottish Cup.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7133972/Kirk-Broadfoot-Tired-Hibs-will-wilt-just-like-Rangers-did-in-2008.html

I hate these stories all they do is pep up the opposition. I suppose it is just the paper trying to fill it's pages and making a story around a simple remark that they could be tired.

Or will hibz have the advantage of playing games & maintaining their match sharpness in the run up to the SC final?

I think there's two ways of looking at this & I'm not sure hibz will have the number of games in such a short space of time we had in 2008

Anyway if Falkirk knock them out of the playoffs the arguement becomes irrelevant

Or will hibz have the advantage of playing games & maintaining their match sharpness in the run up to the SC final?

I think there's two ways of looking at this & I'm not sure hibz will have the number of games in such a short space of time we had in 2008

Anyway if Falkirk knock them out of the playoffs the arguement becomes irrelevant

All they have is a game at the weekend and a midweek game that just saves them training so hard. I would prefer they got gubbed to demoralise them.

All they have is a game at the weekend and a midweek game that just saves them training so hard. I would prefer they got gubbed to demoralise them.

I'm not convinced these games are as demanding for hibz as being made out.

My biggest concern is they'll maintain match sharpness while we've got three weeks without a game

We just need to concentrate to play our game. Hibs were toiling in front of goal again against Raith. We should not care whether they are tired or sharp or whatnot, this will be a cup final and cup games usually have their own maths. It won't be easy, but the omens look good.

I've been giving this dilemma some thought, would i prefer the Hivs playoff itinerary or the Rangers layoff itinerary route to the cup final?

After deliberating both scenarios, i think our route has the greater chance of producing the winning team. Our players will be the far more rested, but that doesn't mean unfit or unfocused. They are young professional sportsmen, being in tip top condition goes with the territory, the manager his assistants will make sure they are 100% focused too.

Hopefully any niggling injuries the players had, will have cleared up by the final. A couple of light bounce games in the week running up to the final will sharpen the appetites.

In contrast Hivs players might pick up some injuries, be somewhat jaded and tired. Although they will be fit and focused too, but ultimately i think the break will benefit Rangers more than a hard playoff schedule will benefit Hivs?

Edited by aweebluesoandso

What if falkirk beat them and they get match sharpness and a rest.

They will have had a moral blow and that can drain you more than a physical exertion.