SPFL poised to double their deal with BBC Scotland to £2.8m

About 1988, I think there was a chance...

I don't recall there ever being a chance.

We wouldn't have done it in 1988 when English clubs were banned from Europe.

We wouldn't have done it once English clubs were back in as we were going for NIAR.

Post NIAR, Murray probably was looking for a way to move down south and I reckon he would have moved us if there was the opportunity but there never seemed to be much of a chance. It really needed Sky to come along when renegotiating their TV deal and insist on it but there was never a suggestion that they were interested in doing it.

Murray was allegedly telling players in 2001 that we would be in England within a couple of years, but that could have been just to entice them rather than with any real hope.

I'd love us to have moved to the English League but there was never any serious opportunity as far as I can see.

Edited by Bluedell

I wasn't meaning that there was an offer or a tangible opportunity, I just mean that there was a chance if we put the effort into negotiating it at that time. The chance to me was that the English First division was at a pretty bad low and needed an injection of glamour.

The fact we weren't interested at the time doesn't change that - and to me the point is that maybe in hindsight (which is obviously easy to see compared to then) perhaps we should have been. I think part of the problem then is that it wasn't attractive and we were enjoying our renaissance. But the only time to join is when it's not attractive as otherwise the door is firmly shut.

There are other factors like Celtic being in meltdown which could have detracted from it, or motivated them to push it harder.

It's a subjective viewpoint.

It's a vicious circle - if they and sky were to give us more money the product would be better, the crowds would be bigger and in turn more neutrals would tune in.

But instead they throw obscene money at the EPL.

Perhaps broadcasters can distinguish a good investment from a bad one . . .

I was interested to hear on the STV news tonight that the question of how to distribute the increased tv receipts is now up for discussion.

I wonder if a larger share going to the minor leagues will be one proposal put forward. :rolleyes:

_89604038_celtic_rangers2_sns.jpg

It's all about the Rangers!

BBC Scotland has agreed a new four-year deal with the Scottish Professional Football League to cover matches across television, radio and online.

It will mean enhanced match coverage on the Sportscene programme, additional social media clips and highlights on the BBC Sport website.

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: "This is fantastic news for Scottish football fans."

He said it was "a new and significantly improved deal for both parties".

The agreement means that BBC Sport Scotland will continue to provide television and online highlights and live radio commentaries of Scottish Premiership, Championship, League One and League Two matches from season 2016-17.

"Everyone at the SPFL is delighted that our long-standing partnership with BBC Scotland has been extended by another four years," said Doncaster.

"During the process of negotiating with the BBC, the SPFL board has been very robust and clear in its view of what we believe Scottish football coverage is worth and we are pleased that this has been taken on board and reflected by an improved agreement.

"As part of that, we're also delighted that supporters will see enhanced match coverage, which we'll provide to the BBC as part of the new contract.

"We look forward to working with BBC Scotland's excellent team of sports producers and journalists in the four years ahead, covering our national sport and bringing the very best of the SPFL action to TV and radio audiences."

BBC Scotland head of sport Ewan Angus was also "extremely pleased" to extend the partnership.

"BBC Scotland's main aim was to provide supporters with improved coverage while also ensuring we get value for money for everyone who pays the licence fee," he said.

"We firmly believe this new deal will benefit Scottish football as a whole by enhancing Sportscene's match highlights through increased camera provision and also allowing us to offer footage for fans on social media."

The new BBC contract was approved by Scottish Premiership clubs and the SPFL board.

The announcements follows news earlier this season that Sky Sports and BT Sport will continue to broadcast live Scottish Premiership matches until the end of the 2019-20 season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36213734

Edited by ian1964