Josh Windass was blown away by Old Firm clash

JOSH WINDASS had one word to describe Rangers’ Scottish Cup semi-final win over Celtic: Unbelievable.

The striker was invited to Hampden to witness the Old Firm clash earlier this month ahead of his summer switch from Accrington Stanley.

And, according to his old man Dean, he was blown away with what he witnessed.

Windass Snr is no stranger to Scottish football after his time with Aberdeen in the 90s.

But the 47-year-old insists his son won’t crack under the pressure of one of football’s greatest rivalries.

Windass said: “I’m sure Josh will take to it like a duck to water. He’s looking forward to playing in that environment.

“For me, playing for Aberdeen, I knew what it meant to the fans to beat Rangers and Celtic.

“I’ve never been to a Rangers-Celtic derby, so I’m looking forward to watching him in that.

“Josh was up there recently as he was invited to watch the semi-final. He said it was unbelievable.

“He’s looking forward to that challenge. He’s not fazed by it, he’s quite a level-headed kid.

“It’s all about Josh Windass now, not Dean Windass. I’ve had my time, although I’m sure it’ll get dragged up when Rangers play Aberdeen.”

Windass Snr played a big role in helping land his lad’s big move north of the border.

There were English sides interested, with the 22-year-old’s contract up at the end of the season.

But his old man said: “In my experience, it’s all right saying there were four or five Championship clubs interested, but it was Rangers who put the deal on the table.

“We sat down and said we knew Rangers were going to be back in the Premiership. He’s 22 years old, he’s got a good sell-on clause in the contract and hopefully he’ll hit the ground running with Rangers.

“The main aim for Rangers and Mark Warburton is to go and win the Premiership next year. Forget about European football, win the title.

“Josh is fully aware of what it means to be at Rangers.

“I spoke to Paul Gascoigne, Andy Goram, Stuart McCall, people who have played for Rangers who have said his life will change. He totally understands that now.”

While Windass Snr is thrilled with his son’s switch, Accrington are raging at missing out on a windfall.

Had the forward left for another English side, Stanley would have been due a decent compensation package. But moving to Scotland means the fee will be paltry.

For a club whose annual turnover is around £1.5million, that is a massive blow. But Windass Snr believes the League Two side have only themselves to blame.

He said: “The way Josh was playing at the time and getting attention from a lot of clubs, I think Accrington made the mistake by not giving him a big, long-term contract.

“They offered a contract, but it wasn’t that good. If they were to give him a decent contract on a three-year deal they could have asked what they liked for him.

“They probably could have got £500,000-600,000. They offered him a contract which wasn’t appealing to his agent, to me and to Josh. That’s why I said ‘don’t sign that contract’, because it’s not worth it.

“I blame Accrington. It’s a bit of naivety from their point of view.”

Despite the squabble, Accrington are relying on Windass to help them seal promotion, which could be completed at Wycombe today.

And Dean hopes that feat can be achieved as a thank-you to the club that gave his lad his big chance.

He said: “I speak to Josh all the time about what the lads are like and he will be very, very sad to leave.

“I was sad to leave Hull when I had to leave, but you have to move on with your football career. That’s how football is. It will be a different chapter in his life, like it was for me when I joined Aberdeen from Hull.

“But he’s focusing on the job in hand at the minute and if they win promotion he can walk away from Accrington with his head held high.”

With Gers boss Warburton linked with a return down south, Windass Snr, below, reckons No2 David Weir will be waiting in the wings to one day take control at Ibrox.

He added: “I’m sure like players, managers want to manage in the Premier League in England.

“Josh wants to play in the Premier League in England. We all wanted to play in the Premier League. That’s the next step.

“But at the minute Mark’s got a fantastic job.

“I played against David Weir many, many times when he was at Hearts. He was a great pro and played until he was 40, the same age as me.

“I’m sure David’s next ambition is to manage Rangers when Mark does leave. But I think at this stage of their careers and Mark’s career, he’ll want to walk away with a Scottish Championship winner’s medal and whatever happens after that will happen.

“Results will determine whether he gets a Premier League job. I’m quite sure, 99 per cent, he will do.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7117476/New-Rangers-man-Josh-Windass-was-blown-away-by-Old-Firm-clash.html

A good sell-on clause from Windass perspective is not necessarily good for us.

Having heard what Tav's sell on is, I doubt Windass will be commanding a fee that will make us think we will get a good deal.

We seem to be allowing modest sell on fees in exchange for lower wages, therefore getting players in for less money than they can get elsewhere, but knowing they will get good exposure and that our club wont be holding out for big bucks and denying them a move if a top tier English club takes an interest.

It probably makes more sense this way, as if the player doesn't work out with us, we are not paying them a huge sum that we can't get rid of them. In only works against us if we develop a real star worth many times the sell on.