One player not applauding

Sure but Hearts will be seen as very different from Celtic in the eyes of many fans.

I see it as being more about ourselves and the standards we as a club wish to live up to, and not what club we are clapping onto the club. We are dong it for ourselves more than doing it for them.

Do we really want to follow the likes of Hibs and be shown up as bitter?

To be honest, I think it's all a bit of a nonsense.

Fair enough. I think it's quite a nice tradition, albeit not a particularly important one. Similar in a way to shaking hands at the end of a game.

I care little for these things.

If Celtic win the title next season before the last game we play them, would we expect our team to give them one?

I would. Manners and etiquette if nothing else. I also think it shows a certain self esteem and respect for yourself and your club if you can applaud your rivals when there is a good reason. There is something unhealthy about not being able to and says they have a part of you.

I think it's disrespectful for a professional footballer not to applaud his fellow professionals for achieving things in the game...I predict the two players in question will be lucky to play in front of a 50,000 crowd in their careers ever again, never mind win things.

What will they tell their grandchildren?

If Celtic win the title next season before the last game we play them, would we expect our team to give them one?

Yes, we should. It is the dignified thing to do.

Not sure I would go that far I think a guard of honour is enough,:seal:

It's interesting to think about this sort of thing in the context of team sports. In this case the manager, perhaps the club, has decided that the team should do it but some players abstain. A player that abstains implies that he is somehow different from his team mates. Although it is a fairly trivial act it sets a precedent that not all instructions should be followed. The players no longer trust each other to act in the interests of the team when some personal interest comes up. It's not a recipe for success.