The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

And we have hardly seen Hill in action and Crooks hasn't even played yet. I take it you know by heart that neither will improve our defence?

MacK1950 ... Hodson is the right-back cover for Tav. The reason why he played these last two games instead of Tav.

Sorry but I just don't think Crooks or Hill are what we need to improve a defence which lost far too many goals towards the end of last season. I would suggest MW thinks the same hence still looking for another CB

On the small screen I watched the game on, Hodson bore a resemblance to Ricksen. Better defender than Nando.

There are very few right backs in our history that were not better than Ricksen! Having only seen Hodson once on Friday it is impossible to say what standard he is, but I would imagine he will safely be better than Fernando was. I wish FR all the very best in his fight against that most horrible of illnesses, but that can't take away from the fact he was useless at RB!

Was talking to a QPR season ticket holder at friends' anniversary party on Saturday night. Couldn't speak highly enough of Clint Hill. Said he was brilliant at organising and a real leader and their support were pretty disappointed he was allowed to leave.

On Barton, he said he'll be fine as long as he keeps it simple (as at Burnley). At QPR, he thought he was too busy trying to play like Pirlo to do a proper job.

I'm not sure joey Barton is a defensive mid.

Never used to be though he's older now

Yes, he was always box-to-box, but he's reverted to a DM role as he's got older; it utilises his good tackling and organisational skills.

Regarding Fernando Ricksen ... I was checking his Wikipedia entry andit reads like written by a Yahoo, since you hardly find a positive word in there:

Rangers

Ricksen, formerly of Fortuna Sittard, joined Rangers in 2000 from Dutch team AZ Alkmaar for a transfer fee of £3.75 million[1]

Ricksen endured a difficult start to his Rangers career, culminating in him being substituted after a torrid 21 minutes against countryman Bobby Petta in a 6–2 defeat to Celtic. On his second trip to Celtic Park six months later, he was sent-off before half-time in another defeat. He had been dropped for the two intervening derbies.[1]

In November 2000 Ricksen became the first player in Scottish football to be banned retrospectively on television evidence. His Kung Fu-style kick on Darren Young had been missed by the referee but caught on camera, leading to a five game ban. Ricksen subsequently used his personal website to suggest Young required "straightening out."[2]

2003–04 proved to be a failed season for Rangers, with the departure of several players from the treble winning season most notably Barry Ferguson and Lorenzo Amoruso. Ricksen, however, proved to be an important member of the Rangers team which finished second, playing 42 games, despite several injury and disciplinary problems throughout the season. In October 2003 Ricksen pushed then Rangers chairman John McClelland into a swimming pool before a match against Panathinaikos in Athens.[3] The same week he was banned from the Netherlands national team for smashing a hotel door down after a night out.[3] After the events Rangers banned Ricksen from talking to the media and manager McLeish said "We would rather have Fernando on the back pages and we have told him that."[3]

In March 2004 Ricksen was again banned by the SFA video review panel. He had elbowed Derek Riordan in a CIS Cup defeat to Hibernian, resulting in a four game ban and a £10,000 fine from his club.[4]

The highlight of Ricksens career at Rangers came in the 2004/05 season seeing him jointly win the SPFA player of the year award after scoring nine goals from midfield in his forty appearances for the club, helping Rangers to a league and league cup double.

It remained unclear whether Ricksen would be seen as a key member of the Rangers team under new manager Paul Le Guen for the 2006–07 season. An alcohol-fueled incident involving a passenger on Rangers' outbound flight to their pre-season camp in South Africa, led to Ricksen being sent home by Le Guen, who later described his behaviour as "inappropriate and unacceptable for the way in which I have asked my players to conduct themselves."[5]

On 30 March 2014, Ricksen was inducted into the Rangers Hall of Fame along with Lee McCulloch and Nacho Novo.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Ricksen

The German counterpart leaves nigh all of the above out, but actually notes (sic!) that in the 6 years with him, Rangers won the title, the SFA Cup and the League Cup 3 times each. You hace to scroll down to his honors list to see that he was actually rather successful as a player with usin the English version.

Joe Garner being linked ...

The Latics are said to be weighing up a bid for Joe Garner amid interest from Mark Warburton's Ibrox giants, Rangers.

Wigan Athletic are weighing up a bid for Preston North End striker Joe Garner amid interest from Glasgow Rangers, the Sun reports (Monday edition, page 52).

Latics boss Gary Caldwell, a former Celtic player, reportedly sent scouts to watch the 28-year-old ahead of a possible £1 million bid.

However, Rangers could pose a threat to the Scot's hopes, with manager Mark Warburton reiterating his desire to add another striker on Sunday (Daily Record).

Garner played 41 times for Preston in last season's Championship, scoring six goals and making another eight.

And the pair's arrival could lead to Garner's exit, two years before his contract is due to expire.

The powerful front man, who was a teammate of new Ibrox recruit Lee Hodson at Watford, would bring a different dimension to Rangers' attack.

However, Wigan are also in need of reinforcements having allowed Billy McKay to join Oldham Athletic on loan, leaving just Will Grigg, Craig Davies and Sanmi Odelusi as recognised strikers.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/07/25/report-rangers-and-wigan-athletic-keen-on-preston-north-end-stri/

Here's him at TM -> http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joe-garner/profil/spieler/46111

Performance data -> http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joe-garner/leistungsdaten/spieler/46111

On a sidenote, a FFer just noted that the Scum have turned in 4 bids for Scott Sinclair by now, all turned down as they are below Villa's valuation. Remember the amount of abuse we got when bidding for Scott Allan? Here it seems to be just part and parcel of modern day transfer talk.

Edited by der Berliner