I think this is the point that cal is missing.

By trying to look at the development of the player he is missing, or ignoring, that McCoist never rated McKay and being able to "see" a player is as much a manager's job as is developing him.

Cal seems to be concentrating on the "development" aspect and overlooking that McCoist had ample opportunities to select McKay but preferred to loan him out - and before I hear "Warburton is loaning players out too" the situations are wholly different. The players that Warburton is loaning out are, to me at least, not ready yet and there are better players in the squad than those kids and they would get limited game time. McCoist, on the other hand, loaned McKay out and kept Aird and actually preferred Aird. That should tell us as much as we need to know.

Still haven't read your previous posts cal :D Not being disrespectful - don't have the time as I have been at hospital with the kid this morning and have been there about 7 or 8 times in the last two weeks as well as moving house by myself too - I couldn't give it the attention it deserves or the full responseit probably deserves :thup:

Good luck with the hospital scenario whatever it is, it sounds like good luck would be welcomed!

Calscot spent years championing McCoist as manager and is now criticising Warburton for playing long ball tactics and supposedly we played 5 at the back v Celtic. I find it incredibly difficult to take him seriously: I always have done. Getting back on topic, Barrie McKay is an obvious example of McCoist's failings and it shouldn't need explained but I will anyway:

- McKay got a chance by necessity. He got something like 25 assists that season and wasn't always consistent. 17 year old wide players don't tend to be. The fact is he showed plenty promise and was more than good enough to remain in our team for the following seasons.

- Despite showing a lot of potential and the rare ability of being a Rangers wide player who could actually beat players and put in dangerous balls, he got dumped in favour of players who were much worse, such as Fraser Aird. Aird is the same age as McKay so there's no plausible reason to choose him - it can't be down to experience or anything like that. We also often saw players like Smith and Peralta occupying the wide roles who offered so little.

- For the first half of the following season he barely kicked a ball. So that's half a season of football where he could have been getting regular exposure for our first team at a lower level. He spent the second half of the season at Greenock Morton, hardly the most wonderful of places for one of our top prospects to develop, and according to Soccerbase he started a grand total of 14 games. So the 13/14 season was spent barely getting a look in for half a season, then getting some matches for a very poor side. They might have been in a higher league than us, but our best players should be playing for us, not other teams. Sending young players out on loan is generally done when they are not ready/good enough for the first team. In retrospect, the coaching philosophy at the club was so abhorrent that our younger players were probably better off anywhere else, but that's going off at a tangent somewhat.

- In 14/15 he went on loan to Raith Rovers. He started 18 matches that season, again playing for a team that aren't up to much. He should have been playing week in week out for us, not being a bit part player for Raith Rovers.

- So in those two seasons he spent out on loan, he started only 32 games for those teams. To put things into consideration, in 13/14 Lee McCulloch played over 40 matches for us. The fact we had a veteran with limited ability and very little future at the club playing every game and McKay spending half the season on the bench and the second half at Greenock Morton speaks volumes.

- It's worth pointing out that while McKay was out on loan we were often showing a distinct lack of creativity and flair on the pitch. We could have done with some of that when our dismal side got destroyed by Motherwell in the playoffs.

- Warburton joins the club and McKay becomes one of the first names on our teamsheet and is probably our best player. This is a shock to a lot of supporters as he looked like he was finished at the club. But no, all he needed was a manager who had the slightest clue what he was doing and how to utilise the player.

- The fact of the matter is that McKay was played out of necessity, then shunted out on loan to poor teams, not featuring that regularly, only to be rescued by Warburton and become one of the first names on the team sheet. Really it's a wonder that McKay's career has turned around and it has nothing to do with McCoist, and everything to do with Warburton.

- Suggesting McCoist somehow carefully developed his career is comical. The pertinent word here is 'shunted'.

lets all be glad we have a player of his quality at such a young age that should get better and better. Playing competitive games from 16/17 clearly benefits players so McCoist does deserve credit. I'd have preferred him to have played for us the whole way through the leagues. I agree we need to get a figure out but only when interest starts with McKay. His likely destination is England where they are paying stupid money and with their new TV deal the next few transfer windows will be bonkers. We should be aiming to get over 10 million for him after a few seasons with us.

Calscot spent years championing McCoist as manager and is now criticising Warburton for playing long ball tactics and supposedly we played 5 at the back v Celtic. I find it incredibly difficult to take him seriously: I always have done. Getting back on topic, Barrie McKay is an obvious example of McCoist's failings and it shouldn't need explained but I will anyway:

- McKay got a chance by necessity. He got something like 25 assists that season and wasn't always consistent. 17 year old wide players don't tend to be. The fact is he showed plenty promise and was more than good enough to remain in our team for the following seasons.

- Despite showing a lot of potential and the rare ability of being a Rangers wide player who could actually beat players and put in dangerous balls, he got dumped in favour of players who were much worse, such as Fraser Aird. Aird is the same age as McKay so there's no plausible reason to choose him - it can't be down to experience or anything like that. We also often saw players like Smith and Peralta occupying the wide roles who offered so little.

- For the first half of the following season he barely kicked a ball. So that's half a season of football where he could have been getting regular exposure for our first team at a lower level. He spent the second half of the season at Greenock Morton, hardly the most wonderful of places for one of our top prospects to develop, and according to Soccerbase he started a grand total of 14 games. So the 13/14 season was spent barely getting a look in for half a season, then getting some matches for a very poor side. They might have been in a higher league than us, but our best players should be playing for us, not other teams. Sending young players out on loan is generally done when they are not ready/good enough for the first team. In retrospect, the coaching philosophy at the club was so abhorrent that our younger players were probably better off anywhere else, but that's going off at a tangent somewhat.

- In 14/15 he went on loan to Raith Rovers. He started 18 matches that season, again playing for a team that aren't up to much. He should have been playing week in week out for us, not being a bit part player for Raith Rovers.

- So in those two seasons he spent out on loan, he started only 32 games for those teams. To put things into consideration, in 13/14 Lee McCulloch played over 40 matches for us. The fact we had a veteran with limited ability and very little future at the club playing every game and McKay spending half the season on the bench and the second half at Greenock Morton speaks volumes.

- It's worth pointing out that while McKay was out on loan we were often showing a distinct lack of creativity and flair on the pitch. We could have done with some of that when our dismal side got destroyed by Motherwell in the playoffs.

- Warburton joins the club and McKay becomes one of the first names on our teamsheet and is probably our best player. This is a shock to a lot of supporters as he looked like he was finished at the club. But no, all he needed was a manager who had the slightest clue what he was doing and how to utilise the player.

- The fact of the matter is that McKay was played out of necessity, then shunted out on loan to poor teams, not featuring that regularly, only to be rescued by Warburton and become one of the first names on the team sheet. Really it's a wonder that McKay's career has turned around and it has nothing to do with McCoist, and everything to do with Warburton.

- Suggesting McCoist somehow carefully developed his career is comical. The pertinent word here is 'shunted'.

We don't all agree with everyone all the time but we do ask that we all respect each others meaning. cal makes plenty of legitimate points and his meaning is well respected by most. If you don't want to know his meaning don't read his posts. I doubt if it will bother him.

We don't all agree with everyone all the time but we do ask that we all respect each others meaning. cal makes plenty of legitimate points and his meaning is well respected by most. If you don't want to know his meaning don't read his posts. I doubt if it will bother him.

... that, and neither SBS nor Calscot will actually know what happened with McCoist and McKay at Auchenhowie, if something happened there. In any case, it is beyond doubt that McKay would sure have helped us during the second part of last season. But hindsight is always a good ... nay safe thing to build an opinion on.

Sorry to hear about your son in hospital, Craig. Hope he's on the mend and doing well. Sounds like a very stressful time even without the move too, so hope it all goes smoothly.

Thanks cal, and all. Its been a pain but nothing serious. Tendinitis in the Achilles (so at least a month with an air boot on) and then to top that off he had to have surgery to get a lump cut out of his shoulder. They had no idea what it was but thankfully the pathology reports came back saying it wasn't malignant, so all good. Means he couldn't help with the move either.... and wife is in UK for 3 months for studies. Pretty sure she timed that deliberately :D

Thanks cal, and all. Its been a pain but nothing serious. Tendinitis in the Achilles (so at least a month with an air boot on) and then to top that off he had to have surgery to get a lump cut out of his shoulder. They had no idea what it was but thankfully the pathology reports came back saying it wasn't malignant, so all good. Means he couldn't help with the move either.... and wife is in UK for 3 months for studies. Pretty sure she timed that deliberately :D

Does she know your new address?:devil: