Old Firm missers

[video=youtube;4hLScLSl8-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hLScLSl8-w

These are the two probably biggest ones.

Some of the older guy's may be able to help me on this.

I seem to remember Andy Penman crossing a ball to Willie Johnstone who was standing virtually on the goal-line. Instead of just ticking it in the net he intended to stop it by putting his foot on the ball but the ball ran under his foot and away to safety. I can't find anything on youtube does anyone else remember this and what game was it? I think I am sure it was v Celtic though I may be wrong.

Got to say that the van Vossen one is worse than Roberts.

I agree. Did he play much after that? I seem to remember he didn't but it was in a time I didn't have good access to games.

I don't remember the Johnston one although I should really as I didn't miss many games back then.

One from the past I do recall was a sheepie player called Ernie Winchester missing an absolute sitter, maybe hitting the post ? in a final, the sixties ? the other side of the goal from the Roberts one.

I agree. Did he play much after that? I seem to remember he didn't but it was in a time I didn't have good access to games.

He got back into the Dutch squad after leaving us.

I'd give Albertz 10% of the blame as his lay-off was poor and had it been struck a little firmer and in front of VV he wouldn't have missed it.

Got to say that the van Vossen one is worse than Roberts.

I agree, and I don't think they are that close at all.

With Van Vossen's the pass completely took the keeper out so he was staring down a completely empty net and could even have walked the ball into the net.

Roberts, whilst presented with somewhat of an open goal it wasn't completely open as Foderingham was back on his feet and scrambling, therefore Roberts had to aim to the right half of the goal. Thankfully he aimed outside the post :D

Van Vossen's was a worse miss, by some distance.

He got back into the Dutch squad after leaving us.

I'd give Albertz 10% of the blame as his lay-off was poor and had it been struck a little firmer and in front of VV he wouldn't have missed it.

It was a 2 on 1 from about 40 yards out. Van Vossen must have known it was a tap-in. Even if Albertz played it behind him he should have known there was nobody getting close. I would give Albertz maybe 1% of the blame, if that :D

It was a 2 on 1 from about 40 yards out. Van Vossen must have known it was a tap-in. Even if Albertz played it behind him he should have known there was nobody getting close. I would give Albertz maybe 1% of the blame, if that :D

I'll go down to 5% :thinking::laugh:

He was shouting for it and then seemed surprised to get it, but took his time and hit it hard while leaning back with a side foot - which always goes high. Side foot needs to be less forceful to keep it on the ground and just pass it in.

On the Albertz pass, it did get VV a bit behind his stride and he didn't adjust his body well... but it was such a gift there's no excuse...