Manager hopes to have Forrester and Waghorn fit for the Scottish Cup Final

MARK WARBURTON hopes Harry Forrester could be fit to face Hibernian in the Scottish Cup final after missing out on the Hampden triumph against Celtic on Sunday.

The forward was ruled out of action last week after suffering a leg fracture in the Petrofac Training Cup win over Peterhead.

And, when asked if Forrester could be fit in time for the final, Warburton said: “Maybe. He’s got a scan after four weeks. That would be the first week in May so he’s got a chance.”

Warburton was also without Martyn Waghorn for the shoot-out success against Celtic as he continues his recovery from a knee injury.

The striker is just days away from a return to first team action, though, and Warburton said: “He’ll be fine for the final. The way he was leaping about [on Sunday], he’ll be fine.

“He won’t be ready for Alloa but he might be ready for Livingston and he’ll definitely be ready for St Mirren.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14435762.Rangers_boss_Mark_Warburton_hopes_to_have_Harry_Forrester_and_Martyn_Waghorn_fit_for_the_Scottish_Cup_final/

We need one of them back so it's good to hear that Waghorn is looking good.

Clark should be playing two of the league games that are left so as Miller isn't playing two games a week.

Burt should get an opportunity to show if he's ready to be called upon.

If Kiernan or Wilson have any niggles they should get a rest aswell. If one were to miss the Final we'd be short in central defence (Gasparotto is cup-tied).

Shiels, Law and Zelalam should also get more gametime to help get them up to speed and like Miller, have others like Haliday, playing one game a week.

Speaking of Foderingham, a lot of people have been saying we need a better keeper and I've not been seeing it, after this game I'm certain I don't agree. I think he suits our style of play and has been pretty solid and reliable. His weakness is long clearances - but he hasn't had much practice...

Burt has to get a chance in the league games - Warburton has given less game time to our own youngsters than just about any manager we've had, unless you count McKay - who won't get many more games than when he was 18.

It's not that he doesn't give youngsters game time at all, it's just he gave it all to three loan signings. However, as McKay has shown, being out on loan can raise you a level and mature you where you are out of the pressure of winning every game in front of a huge and demanding crowd.

But I would like to see more of our own youngsters being blooded now and again, and the best being given some decent amount of game time. I've never been a fan of overdoing it or playing youth for youth's sake, but there is a goldilocks level. I also realise that maybe the current crop of 17 to 20 year olds maybe don't quite make the grade (yet) - as only one was MW's choice, and that could change with some of the reports of the U17s and the fact we've got rid of Sinclair.

However, we've still produced two top class players in four years, which I think is not too bad, but would be great if we could double that rate.

Gotta be honest, big Wes has been fantastic but I feel he's a bit slow, especially getting down at times, but it seems MW is happy with him. I think he may get found out next season, hope I'm wrong as its nothing personal against the big guy, I've met a few of the players and he's a nice guy. Time will tell.

if we don't give loan players game time we're not going to get them from England. How would we have done without Ball for example

I don't disagree, but we need a balance. We can't ignore the development of our own players - loan players eventually go back to their own club. Game time for our own U20s seems to be at an all time low.

Perhaps we need a proper feeder club where we lend them players and they follow our training and playing philosophies. Probably not something we previously craved, but we do seem to be creating something for the club that has the potential to last.

It would be good to set this kind of tradition for the club where we play a certain style of football (with emphasis on high levels of excellence and winning deterministically by skill ie out thinking, out passing, out running, out dribbling the opposition with confidence and skill on the ball and great levels of control - rather than just pandering to any arbitrary notion of "entertainment"), and having the most up to date training methods, concentrating on marginal gains in all aspects - like the Sky cycling team.

Edited by calscot