Rangers will receive funds needed to challenge Celtic, says vice-chairman Paul Murray

Sorry - meant to put it in bold: "doing without 2 home league cup ties" How come?

From a financial POV

If we get into Europe we wouldn't play the League Cup group stage which would mean two less home games.

That would be compensated by at least one European qualifier home game but the point I was trying to make was that given we'll probably be unseeded, there would be no guarantee of further European home games.

ie. an increased budget/players if we were to qualify would probably be limited at the outset and if we were to do well could then be extended.

Seeded teams in the second round of last years EL qualifiers included FC København, Trabzonspor, PAOK, Legia, AIK Stockholm, Slovan Bratislava, Rosenburg, West Ham. At the same time there are easier teams and it'd be down to the luck of the draw.....Thing is to become seeded in future years we would need to get some points under our belt.

edit

Here is a link that shows the seedings for last seasons EL all the way through the qualifiers.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2015.html

Edited by buster.

We must have been watching different games - I didn't see "a very high number of long balls". The occasional out ball or defending clearance but what I watched was us passing the ball on the deck for 120 minutes. The only long balls that I recall were from Wilson and were those diagonal balls intended for the right wing. But I didn't see a very high number.

We really must have been, I was getting pretty frustrated with a lot of them as they were incredibly poor and either went out or to a Celtic player. Some were just unnecessary and maybe down to tiredness or lack of ideas. I take it you didn't see the noticeable number of clearances by Foderingham as well as some of the goal kicks which were generally poor also?

They were more prevalent in the second half and the longer the match went on, when Celtic pressed much higher up the park at times. I watched it on a stream so can't play it again in fast forward to count them...

I don't particularly mind the number of them, although I think it would have been better to be less, but the pass completion was very low which is worrying.

For me it demonstrated we need to be able to do them well. As I've said before, if you're predictable and refuse to change then the opposition can take advantage of it - if you always pass short then they hassle your defenders more and more - but if you send the odd one over their heads, they can be well short of numbers at the back, which keeps them having to be careful and not pressing too much. Luckily, that's what we did but they benefited from that as well.

From a financial POV

If we get into Europe we wouldn't play the League Cup group stage which would mean two less home games.

That would be compensated by at least one European qualifier home game but the point I was trying to make was that given we'll probably be unseeded, there would be no guarantee of further European home games.

ie. an increased budget/players if we were to qualify would probably be limited at the outset and if we were to do well could then be extended.

Seeded teams in the second round of last years EL qualifiers included FC København, Trabzonspor, PAOK, Legia, AIK Stockholm, Slovan Bratislava, Rosenburg, West Ham. At the same time there are easier teams and it'd be down to the luck of the draw.....Thing is to become seeded in future years we would need to get some points under our belt.

edit

Here is a link that shows the seedings for last seasons EL all the way through the qualifiers.

Aaah! Got you. Think I would rather accumulate seeding points and garner valuable euro experience along the way. We're starting from scratch really - just like we had to work our way up from the bottom of the SFL.

Five at the back? Can't remember seeing this whatsoever.

Ball sat deep to allow Tav and Wallace to bomb on but he was never a defender per se until he replaced Kiernan when he got injured.

As for long balls, I don't think we played any more than normal and, if we did, it would have been out of necessity. It's worth remembering though we did change the way we played earlier in the season with more use of the diagonal so the manager is always looking for opportunities to adapt the system where required.

I agree Ball played deep and our full backs bombed forward so it's about semantics, that's like a five in defence that turns to a three in attack to me. I said it was "arguably", which had a context to an earlier post which was being simplistic and glibly dismissing five at the back.

I can't believe people didn't see all the long balls... It was mostly out of necessity against a stronger side than we normally play, so I don't even see how it even can be usual to other games. This game and the way we played was definitely not typical - although the basis of the tactics had the same foundations, we had to adapt to a much better side than we are used to playing, which in most cases we did incredibly well.

Aaah! Got you. Think I would rather accumulate seeding points and garner valuable euro experience along the way. We're starting from scratch really - just like we had to work our way up from the bottom of the SFL.

I'm not hoping for the League Cup alternative either !

First things first though and that's beating Hibs.

edit

Thanks for this link buster...I'm not sure how all this co-ef thing really works.

I note the unseeded teams had 3,275 (points?) or under, Rangers are on 4,960 way above teams like Linfield St Patricks and Shamrock Rovers who were all seeded last year.

As I say though, I haven't a clue how points are allocated.

Here's a link to all the clubs and the co-ef of each. (Rangers 269th).

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

Jeez! We still have to win the Scottish Cup, taking things for granted now.

Thanks for this link buster...I'm not sure how all this co-ef thing really works.

I note the unseeded teams had 3,275 (points?) or under, Rangers are on 4,960 way above teams like Linfield St Patricks and Shamrock Rovers who were all seeded last year.

As I say though, I haven't a clue how points are allocated.

Here's a link to all the clubs and the co-ef of each. (Rangers 269th).

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

Jeez! We still have to win the Scottish Cup, taking things for granted now.

That is for the First qualifying round.

Scottish Cup winners go in at the second round.